Key Post Pyrite in Foundations leading to cracks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I havent known anyone to get compensation. Anyway you shouldjust be happy that someone will pay for the repairs. That could be anything form €20k to €80k. Nothing to be sneezed at. Would you share a profit on your house if it went up. Once the house has been certified as clear of pyrite, you will be one of the lucky ones.

I won't be happy. I'll be seeking compensation. and I don't consider myself lucky.

Beyond this I will be keeping my opinion to myself.

+1 KDA man, how lucky are we to find ourselves in this position ? On another thread a compensation figure was mentioned. Given the publicity I wouldn't turn down any compensation as it would be hard to sell on our houses. This has nothing to do with sharing profits if a house went up :confused:

For me, its similar to driving a repaired car after an accident, there could always be a nagging doubt remaining despite how well the repairs are done.

I'm surprised at your comment re. Premierbond - they've issued me with protocols to give to my engineer. If you ring them they'll email them out straight away. They've been very helpful.

Re: Pyrite

Thinking of buying new house. Infil samples show 0.6% pyrite present.I wonder does any one is there a 'safe' level of pyrite that will not affect foundations . anxious to get the house but wary of problems down the road...i understand that there may be minute amounts of pyrite all over the country , and its not a problem!? any advice appreciated..Have to make urgent decision...Thanks..........

Pyrite (also known as fool's gold) is naturally occurring and small amounts will be within all infill. The industry acceptable level is around 1.0%. The construction industry have known about this problem since 2007 and quality control was tightened up as a result. If the house is new you should be OK. If you're worried ask which quarry the fill came from and see if you can get a copy of their certification.

The Qusetion is not what level if pyrite is acceptable. The real figures are for Acid Soluble Sulphate and SR21 2007 sets a limit of 0.2. The other important figure is the Total Sulphur content which SR21 2007 set as 1%. However another Industry paper, TRL447 has set a limit for the altter at 0.6%. I advise you to get professional advice on this house. If you knowingly buy a house with high levels of the above then no insurance policy will protect you.

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone knows of anyone or is in a similar position?

Our house is only 2 years old. About a year ago we noticed a big crack in the kitchen which we informed the builder and they came back straight away to fixed it. Since then a number of big cracks have developed in the house both in and out side and also plaster has falling away from the ceiling.

We have since had an engineer in and been in touch with a solicitor.

Samples have been taken from the foundations and we are waiting for it to be confirmed but it looks like we have pyrite, not sure how much exactly yet though.

As you can imagine we have found this very stressful.

The way I feel now I either want my money back or a brand new house.

I know the property market is slow now but in years to come hopefully that will change and I would be worried that we will have difficulty in selling our property in years to come.

Has anyone been in this situation and what was the outcome? Did the builders just come back and fix your house?

Thanks.

If your property is in North County Dublin and built by Mennolly Homes or any of their affiliated companies then this is being suggested to be linked to Pyrite. The case is before the commercial courts at the moment. Basically Mennolly Homes are suing Irish Asphalt / The Lagan group suggesting that the fill material supplied to them from Lagan's quarrys contained too high a level of pyrite, a natural mineral found in soil. They are suggesting that when this pyrite came in contact with a reactionary substance, thought to be lime, it began to expand and cause whats known as pyrite induced heave. This is suggested to have caused the floor slab to move upwards and thus cracks appear. The Lagan Group are saying that the cracking is simply down to poor construction methods carried out by the Mennolly group and has nothing to do with Pyrite. You can read up on the case on the web.

hi
Thks v.much Pyriteengine for your advice. I was just checking the report that I got and I see what you mention there , the total Sulphur is .35 %.I do not see any reference to Acid Soluble Sulphate on the report at all. It just gives the total % from 6 samples taken as infil.Also the crushed rock in the samples is excess 90%Limestone and less than 10% mudstone , I understand that its the mudstone and not Limestone reacts with the (0.6%) pyrite. You advise to get professional advice.I have the returnable booking deposit paid , What exactly or who exactly do I need to do get to confirm that there will not be a problem down the road I wonder.
Again many thanks for your invaluable advice.

Seems to me that no insurance company would ever cover it in the first place if they thought it was going to be a problem. Homebond and Premierbond are well aware of the pyrite issues and have been for some time - I'm damn sure they would be making sure it's OK before issuing their insurance. Why don't you just ask them?

hi tommy , Home bond , have issued a final cert for this new house in july 2007 and an amendment to homebond regs december 2007 states all homebond members must confirmn that there is nothing in the concrete/foundations that will cause damage to it. This amendment was not in force when they issued final cert for my house. They will not nor to they appear to have any interest in knowing about pyrite , the builder is covered as he got final cert, before new amendment!Homebond now obliged to fix any damage to foundations within 10 yrs (from July 07 incidentially) thats the situation as it stands, whether it can be insured or not , is what I am currently waiting to see. I dont want to walk away from this house if there is such a thing as an acceptable level of pyrite as its naturally occuring!

Be careful on that belief. Most Homebond policies have a limit of Indemnity, and this could be house, develper or development related. What this means is that there may be a limit of say €40,000 regardless of the cost of repair. It would be better to know that you wont have a problem rather than relying on an insurance policy.

If its the Real Facts you are looking for , The best on these boards is pyriteengine , Facts not fiction! Thanks a lot

Pyritic swelling and heave is a big problem in the Canadian province of Quebec; they've had it for much longer than us. An organisation known by the acronym ACQC has produced a very interesting report called PYRITE AND YOUR HOUSE -- WHAT HOME-OWNERS SHOULD KNOW ABOUT SWELLING BACKFILLS (called infills here). It's easily accessible on the web.

I'd be very interested to know if anyone tried claiming under their Home or Household Insurance Policy. If so, with what results. Your claim was probably turned down, but I'm not sure if that has to be the end of the matter.

I know a lot of people who tried under their house policy. Always turned down due to defective material /workmanship exclusion. I have never heard of a case that got through.

I havent known anyone to get compensation. Anyway you shouldjust be happy that someone will pay for the repairs. That could be anything form €20k to €80k. Nothing to be sneezed at. Would you share a profit on your house if it went up. Once the house has been certified as clear of pyrite, you will be one of the lucky ones.

I agree with KDA Man, why should he consider himself lucky?? It may cost between 20 - 80 k to be fixed but what about the stress that this has caused?? People have paid out a heafty price for these houses and the builders in the last few years have racked in a great profit. Its only right that the builder should have to reimburse monies to those whos houses are cracked, and have been confirmed pyrite!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back