Key Post Pyrite in Foundations leading to cracks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssb

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone knows of anyone or is in a similar position?

Our house is only 2 years old. About a year ago we noticed a big crack in the kitchen which we informed the builder and they came back straight away to fixed it. Since then a number of big cracks have developed in the house both in and out side and also plaster has falling away from the ceiling.

We have since had an engineer in and been in touch with a solicitor.

Samples have been taken from the foundations and we are waiting for it to be confirmed but it looks like we have pyrite, not sure how much exactly yet though.

As you can imagine we have found this very stressful.

The way I feel now I either want my money back or a brand new house.

I know the property market is slow now but in years to come hopefully that will change and I would be worried that we will have difficulty in selling our property in years to come.

Has anyone been in this situation and what was the outcome? Did the builders just come back and fix your house?

Thanks.

Re: Pyrite

where are you located?

several new (2004/05) estates in north county dublin have had serious problems with pyrite. Menolly homes were the builders responsible.

Dont know what the outcome will be as we are waiting for the decision of another case to see who is responsible (Menolly suing the Quarry that supplied the infill)

could take a long time. its been a year and a half since engaging with solicitors .

Im located in Meath. I have heard about Menolly Homes alright. Wonder will anyone get their money back for their homes. I suppose it wil be a long process :(

Wonder will anyone get their money back for their homes.

I really don't think that will happen. They have said they will repair any houses that need to be. But the goalposts seem to be changing all the time. Who knows what the outcome will be? Its very frustrating because it feels like we are living in limbo until its all sorted out.

Its the waiting thats annoying really. You cant plan anything or do anything with your property while waiting for it to be fixed. its very disheartening

Friends of mine live in Offaly and have a pyrite problem with an eight-year old house. It was not built by Mennolly.

In order to get their house repaired properly, they will have to move out for a few months. It's not a patch-up job, so they have been advised and feel that they will really need to move out for that period.

They're not getting much traction via Homebond, so are going down the civil court case route. Before they commit to the rebuild/refurb they are hoping to be awarded direct costs (building etc.) and indirect (rent elsewhere).

They have taken advice on the matter from an engineer who has experience in this area and are right now looking for a solicitor who also has the relevant experience.

we got samples taken from our foundation & analysed in Trinity, which confirmed Pyrite - since then we have been "promised" action by Homebond. The problem is they have no real authority to rectify the problem, all they can do is contact the builder and get them to fix it. We got our own engineer involved also and instructed Homebond on what needs to be done. With a 8 year old house in 2 years time whatever use the Homebond 10 year guarantee is, will expire.

SSB- take digital photos of cracks if not already done so. Completely agree about the stress levels.

Its the waiting thats annoying really. You cant plan anything or do anything with your property while waiting for it to be fixed. its very disheartening

tell me about it. its driving the wife up the wall. we had planned to build an extension until we realised the pyrite problem, really could do with the extra space.
but everything is on hold as we wait for the outcome of it all.

SSB- take digital photos of cracks if not already done so. Completely agree about the stress levels.

thank you for your response. We have taken some photos. We got a structural engineer in also and he did up a report. He was very thorough. There are loads of cracks on the outside of the house which we did not even notice. I was talking to someone else from our estate yesterday. They were in contct with a solicitor who told them that the min comp they will get is €40,000.00 and the max is the cost of their house. They are going to try and sue I think.

I have been onto Homebond also but have to send everything in in writing.

Hi, is anyone in the situation where they didn't buy the house directly from the builders? We bought the house second hand and have discovered cracks and were told a number of people in our estate have pyrite.
Does anyone know what rights we have as we bought second hand? It is a very stressful situation to be in, we dont want to lose value. thanks

Hi, is anyone in the situation where they didn't buy the house directly from the builders? We bought the house second hand and have discovered cracks and were told a number of people in our estate have pyrite.
Does anyone know what rights we have as we bought second hand? It is a very stressful situation to be in, we dont want to lose value. thanks

I think you should be covered under Homebond as Pyrite is a structural defect (once your house is not more than 10 years old. Homenond only covers a property for 10 years). Your best off ringing Homebond and putting them on notice, especially if there are a few houses in your estate because with Homebond I think with estates its first come first serve.

There number is 1850 306 300 ask for customer service and tell them you have a problem with your house.

Best of luck, believe I know exactly how stressed you feel :(

Thanks for the answer, we are taking it up with solicitor now. We are covered under Premier and not Homebond so I dont know how they differ much but hopefully can get this all sorted at the least and at the most with compensation. the main thing is to keep home value and to get everything repaired and certified so we can sell the house again. Yes stressful it is, and the last thing you think of happening when you buy your first home!

Hi,

I have internal and external cracking on my 2004 built semi-d.

Homebond have been investigating with "crack-monitors" for the last 12 months and intend to continuing to do so for the next 6 months.

Neither my engineer or homebond has mentioned Pyrite. I live in mid-west.

The last year and a half since I noticed the damage has been a very difficult, stressful and depressing period!

I'm unsure and worried as to what the eventual outcome will be.

My questions: Has anybody out there been in a similar position?
How have you fared out with Homebond? Does the house insurance company have any liability?

All information and advice would be greatly appreciated!

JB

hey guys,
does anyone know if pyrite is still used? i just bought my house (built nov/dec 07) but reading these posts here - i am getting worried whats down the road in 2years time.
a friend of mine living in carlow bought her house in 2007 which was built in 2006. her house is in a mess now, massive cracks everywhere, going from one side of the sitting room throughout the whole house back to the kitchen (which is on the other side of the house). cracks are so bad, they show also on the outside.
she bought it off the council and they seem to only accept the reports of their own engineer who stated that it is normal "house development" which in her opinion is just a cheap get out for the council. :(
i mentioned pyrite to her after i read your posts but as stated at the top, i dont know if pyrite is still used in this country. can anyone confirm?

Hi,

I have internal and external cracking on my 2004 built semi-d.

Homebond have been investigating with "crack-monitors" for the last 12 months and intend to continuing to do so for the next 6 months.

Neither my engineer or homebond has mentioned Pyrite. I live in mid-west.

The last year and a half since I noticed the damage has been a very difficult, stressful and depressing period!

I'm unsure and worried as to what the eventual outcome will be.

My questions: Has anybody out there been in a similar position?
How have you fared out with Homebond? Does the house insurance company have any liability?

All information and advice would be greatly appreciated!

JB

Hi Jetblue.

The cracks in our house and internal and external also. We got our own engineer in first. He did a report of the house. He didnt mention Pyrite but requested maps and materials used in building our house from the builders. Our builders also sent in their own engineer who recommended we get the unfill of our house checked.

We also have the crack monitors on our house but they have not been checked yet. They were put on in september.

What did your engineer say were causing the cracks? I think its awful that Homebond have been investigating for the past 12 months? I have not had much dealings with Homebond yet other than sending in a letter with all the details of our house.

Sorry I cant be of more help but I can totally sympathise with you.

hey guys,
does anyone know if pyrite is still used? i just bought my house (built nov/dec 07) but reading these posts here - i am getting worried whats down the road in 2years time.
a friend of mine living in carlow bought her house in 2007 which was built i dont know if pyrite is still used in this country. can anyone confirm?

Pyrite is a very common mineral found in gravel. The builders are supposed to check the gravel for pyrite but unfortunately it is not a legality so you wont know if you have Pyrite in your house until you start having problems.

We are in our house 2 years now but noticed cracks about 18 months ago. We got the builders back in to fix them but they soon reappeard.

i read that the local councils should also test the site/ground before any work commences. We too were planning an extension but cant do anything now. Its more disheartening for my wife who works from home and cant escape it. Without scaremongering & with the work involved, we know that we will have to move out to allow them to do the work. This was confirmed in the engineers report. Keep written records of everything in a file - emails (dont phone) to Homebond, letters & other correspondence from your engineer, solicitor builder etc in case there is a court appearance. it would be great to have it sorted so that we can move on with our lives.

i think the builders should fully compensate people, for the ongoing stress this has caused not to mention the house having to be practially re-built from bottom up. It is disgraceful they are doing this and we need to get justice. They need to own up to their negligance and protect their clients homes not to mention their own name being dragged through the courts.

I totally agree Phoebe. Like the builders may come back and dig up the foundations and "fix" the house but how do we know what long lasting effects this will have on the house??

I have said this to my solicitor about being fully compensated or sueing builders to get our money back or getting brand new house? We are waiting for the sample to come back to get confirmations so once we do our solicitor said we can move discuss the next step.

I live in a pyrite-affected property. Got keys in Apr 07, news broke in June/July 07. Its been a heartbreaking few years....watching the place crack up and knowing that no-one really wants to know. Local TDs have been really good, but can only go so far. John Gormley (should show an interest as minister for the environment...as has happened in other countries) recently washed his hands of the whole problem - and said the govt is not going to get involved (Greens = Fianna Fail = builder's friends?...mmmmmmm....). Extremely disappointing and feel really let down. We now are stuck in a groundfloor apartment with a toddler. Can't rent or sell and desperately want to move for more living space. But, stuck. Had a nightmare of a time with some of the remedial works and the noise generated - not compatible with a baby (builders did not appear to care either!). At the start I raised the issue of getting my money back, and hold onto this dream, although I have been told that this is all it is likely to be: a dream....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back