Putting myself forward as officer manager

Carpenter

This is a general query in relation to how I should handle my situation in work. I work in a small company which has grown rapidly in the past couple of years. I was the sole emplyee 7 years ago, now there are 5 other recruits, most of which have joined the company in the last 2 years or less. We moved to more salubrious offices last year which mean more room for everyone, more room to do less for some people, I think! I feel there has been a lot of slide in the efficiency etc of the company and I think some of my colleagues are taking full advantage of this. As the longest serving staff memebr with a lot of experience etc I feel I should be receiving the maximum remuneration etc. AFAIK I'm on the biggest salary, but I can see some of the newer recruits eyeing this up with a view to promoting themselves. I want to approach my boss ( 1 of 2) with a view to suggesting myself as an Office Manager, this would be in addition to my normal duties. This way I think I could actively contribute to the growth and efficiency of the company, which would have dividends for all, but especially for me! I don't want to be a ballbreaker mind, I'd just like a little acknowledgement of the fact that I'm a little older and have "served my time" so to speak. I think I'd be good in the role, which I see as having responsibilty for the day to day running of the office, management of utilities etc etc. What do you think? And what sort of additional remuneration/ perks/ benefits should I be seeking?

If you got promoted, what could you add to the business that is missing now ??

What goals have you set for 6 months, 1 - 2 years, what improvements will your leadership bring ????

What new ideas do you have , can you raise productivity ????

If you go in with a plan, detailing these, see how receptive your management is to your ideas, and how you can link improvements proportionally to your monetary situation .I.E Raise in basic, Performance based Bonus.

I'm going to propose that we review my performance in this new role at the year end, salary reviews take place in Jan/ Feb 06. As for what I've got to offer, I've lots of ideas, coupled with the fact that nobody is taking responsibility for the situation at the moment and money is haemorrhaging due to inefficiency and waste. Not all my ideas are going to save money but will mean the organisation will have proper policies in relation to effective use of company time and materials, reduction of waste and recycling, energy awareness etc. This is all new to the two directors at the top, but I've worked in bigger companies before and I know that unless there is someone appointed to actively produce and monitor these kind of policies it just doesn't happen. The ship is rudderless and I want to take the wheel! If I don't initiate this I feel some of the juniors may end up getting the role, albeit not being remunerated for same.

Renumertion would be based on productivity increases (profit making), cost savings by eliminating inefficent processes, and minimizing your managers need to run the show, saving them time that can be used to focus on their core business.

If you can quantify and document the above into figures, with their help, this would lead you to what renumeration you should receive... and would lead them to believe you are a progressive employee.

Should be an interesting exercise, maybe you need some training in the short term, depending on scale of project ???

That's helpful Crumdub12. I don't think I'll need training initially to make some basic improvements- we're talking about some pretty fundamental stuff which is basically just slipping through the net beacuse my bosses are too busy to notice or act upon it. I'm meeting the boss at 4pm today to discuss it over coffee, he doesn't know what I'm bringing to the table yet, should be interesting. Either way I've nothing to lose and I think my employers have quite a lot to gain so we'll see how it goes!

The ship is rudderless and I want to take the wheel!
Wow - With language like that you're half way there Carpenter (going forward)
On a serious side be aware that with responsabilty you will also be liable for taking the flak if things aren't going so well
Good luck

Thanks elcato! I can't see how things can get much worse if we have someone to "take the reins":D but I take your point, I might post again on specifics, I'm still waiting for that coffee appointment......

See Carpenter, if you take the office manager job you can setup peoples calenders on outlook, Notes or whatever and schedule meetings and invite people to coffee breaks in a timely manner. Sorry couldn't resist!!

Not a bad idea Stobear! 4pm has come and gone, I'd better approach the boss and see if he has a window of opportunity in his diary for tomorrow!

Just another piece of advice which may go without saying. Certainly go for it but make sure you are tactful when telling them that you think there is "some pretty fundamental stuff which is basically just slipping through the net beacuse my bosses are too busy to notice or act upon it" as they may see this as a negative comment on their performance. I see you do mention they are too busy, I would maybe emphasise that you think the reason things are slipping is that they are too busy (because of their fine performance in growing the company perhaps?) and that you are willing to take some of the load.

dam099, I like the way you're thinking! I'm going to reschedule that coffee for tomorrow and in the meantime I'll plan exactly how to make the best case for my position. Thanks everyone.

Carpenter

I'd suggest you don't mention the fact that you are older or longer-serving as reasons for your promotion. Neither of these are really relevant. Either you can do the new job, or you can't. I'd also suggest that you don't underestimate the impact of changing to a people-manager role. It's a very different type of job. Can you motivate a team? Can you deal with a poor performer? Can you deal with a dispute between two colleagues? How will you respond when 'the rabble' decide they should get promotions too?

I think this new role will evolve more about the management of utilities and other resources than human resources, my boss will still be dealing with any major personnel issues, to a greater degree, I feel. I still think time served and experience puts me ahead of "the rabble"! I know this business, it's ten years old, I've been there for seven of those years. I also know both my bosses quite well, I worked with both of them prior to them setting up this venture. I have a lot of ideas about the kind of issues/ areas we should be looking at and managing more effectively. I don't think you can compare somebody with my experience and somebody fresh out of college (nearly) who doesn't have the some commitment or focus (i.e. I've got mouths to feed!). As for the "Rabble" looking for promotions, "well I'm here seven years bud, get back in line"! I don't see anyone else making any serious contribution to the company other than do their stated duties etc, I know I've more to offer and I want the opportunity to do just that. But I take your point, I'll be talking to my boss about this in more measured tones, this is more stream of consciousness, so to speak.

Carpenter,

You mention that your colleagues are taking full advantage of the new premises, etc. presuming you mean that they are trying to get away with as much as possible but what I can't get my head around is the frequency which you post messages on AAM. I find it hard enough to get some work done just reading the messages let alone posting them.

Fair point! But if you can't beat them join them, in all seriousness I find time to post while I'm waiting for documents to print off etc in the office where I work. I'm also a little peed of with the abuses some other staff members are making of the situation so maybe it's affecting my productivity:p !! That said I'm on my lunch break now so where's the harm.....

But how would you react if a member of staff gave the same excuse if they were surfing on AAM and gave the reason that they were doing so between document prints, etc. Is it a case of do what I say and not what I do? It's hard to criticise the work practices of others when management is doing likewise. It happened in our business when a manager was going on about internet abuse, etc. It transpired he spent half his day on the net surfing - we lost complete respect in him and his authority went out the window - even though he was the longest serving in the company.

In my original post I mentioned nothing about use of the web or telephone, I only signed up on AAM a month or so ago, so it's a bit of a novelty!! You don't work in our building do you???:rolleyes:

The issue about use of web (didn't mention phone) was just an example of where productivity is lost during a working day. Perhaps one of your first tasks should be to put in an application which monitors internet usage. Novelties have a way of becoming addictions - especially this site - it's so damn good!

Agreed, but my lunch break is nearly finished so I can't stay on to debate the matter further with you.....

Back