PTSB Customer Service....Dreadful.

I visited PTSB "By Appointment" this morning to open a fixed term account. It took approx 30 mins (I have other long standing deposit accounts with PTSB so was already a customer on their system). Vast quantity of paperwork generated. Usual time wasting around "system is very slow this morning", "my printer isn't working I'll have to use X's one" etc. Had the account open and the IBAN allocated by the time I was leaving. Got the usual "are you ok for a mortgage", "would you be interested in paying Irish Life loads of commission" stuff which I put to bed before it started. Overall the salesperson was courteous and efficient. I'd still rather have just clicked a few buttons on my Mac and opened this in the comfort of my own home.

I'd still rather have just clicked a few buttons on my Mac and opened this in the comfort of my own home.
Yes, having to phone to make an appointment and then go to the organise meeting is just an inconvenience (my branch is a 20-minute drive). After years of not having set foot in a branch, I had to go twice recently (once for a change in my current account and once to open a savings account) as my two requests couldn't be met in one appointment.

My missus has a PTSB account with a balance of 1 cent in it. That balance has been there since 2016. She has been unable to transfer the balance to either of her other online PTSB accounts, so a few years ago we lodged 99 cents to the account and tried to transfer the €1; but no dice!

Twice a year they send her a statement by post. That costs them €1.00 postage plus the cost of the stationery.

On a number of occasions she has contacted them by phone and by twitter and asked them to close the account and give the balance to charity, but they have told her that this is impossible and she will have to calls in in person to her 'local' branch to do so. Our nearest PTSB branch is 40 minutes drive away and if she calls in - which she has done once or twice - there is never anyone available to talk to her so she is told to make an appointment. Frankly she has better things to do with her time.

At this stage she is playing silly buggers with them and waiting until someone in PTSB with a three digit IQ (there must be someone!) realises that this is no way to run a business.
I get mine quarterly also has a cent I have it 10 years like this now without being able to close

I have only ever received excellent customer service from PTSB.
I have had more communication from them in the 10 years after I closed my accounts than when I had an account. Well, I say I closed them all, but I couldn't jump through all the hoops they needed to get the last €1.16 out of a deposit account in order to close it.

I rang their customer service department. I spoke with a lady who said she would email my PTSB branch on my behalf with my query. I was unable to phone my branch and the customer service person could not make phone contact either.

Nothing happened.

I called in to my branch. They had no record of receiving any email from the person in head office customer service.

While in the branch I asked one of the staff if they have a dedicated person who deals with emails. The answer I was given was "whoever has time deals with them". This suggests to me that nobody is dealing with them if everyone is waiting for someone else to deal with them.

The branch said that they would get back to me. Nobody has bothered. Nobody from head office has responded either.

I have submitted a complaint on their online form. Nobody has acknowledged this or responded.

This is on their complaints form.

• We aim to resolve all issues where possible on the spot.
  • If the issue requires further investigation we will send you a written acknowledgement of your complaint within 5 business days and give you the name of the person dealing with the issue.

Last edited:
From a recent edition of the Business Post:

Permanent TSB, the Irish retail bank, has announced it will officially change its name to PTSB as part of an initial €5 million investment to overhaul its corporate and consumer brand.

The lender, which is still majority owned by the state, said the change in name and logo was the first full rebranding and repositioning of the bank since the merger of Irish Permanent and TSB Bank in 2002 to create Permanent TSB.

The bank said the new brand name and logo will be phased in across its operations from today, including its sponsorships of the Olympic and Paralympic National teams, The Late Late Show, The Ideal Homes Show and the Guaranteed Irish Awards.

Presumably the idea of spending some of that €5,000,000 on beefing up its customer service unit didn't occur to the CEO (Eamonn Crowley) who evidently has a good sense of humour, as the Business Post quotes him as follows:-

“The change of brand name from Permanent TSB to PTSB and our customer promise of being ‘Altogether More Human’ is the outward expression of the positive change already happening across the bank. It represents our commitment to putting customer needs at the centre of how we plan, design and deliver for them, whether that’s digitally, over the phone, in one of our 98 branches across Ireland or a combination of all of these."

Pull the other one, Eamonn :mad:.

Last edited:
It represents our commitment to putting customer needs at the centre of how we plan, design and deliver for them, whether that’s digitally, over the phone, in one of our 98 branches across Ireland or a combination of all of these.
You cannot contact any branch by phone only by fax.

Has he anyone dealing with customer complaints?

The customer service department cannot wait to fob you off to someone else. They certainly do not try and resolve customer issues on the spot.

Has anyone got his email address? I would like him to read this thread.

Visited by appointment to open fixed term account about 2 weeks ago. The process took an hour . Lots of paper work . Chap Pleasant enough. Had to Close office door myself to get some privacy.

Visited by appointment to open fixed term account about 2 weeks ago. The process took an hour . Lots of paper work . Chap Pleasant enough. Had to Close office door myself to get some privacy.
After you opened the account did you get a letter in the post to show opening balance as "nil", followed two weeks later by a further letter/statement showing the actual opening balance.

This was promised to me but I have received nothing.

This is what I got when I sent them an email recently. [email protected] I would have thought that they might have someone monitoring their old mailbox while they make the transition to their new mailbox.

**PLEASE NOTE: THIS MAILBOX IS NO LONGER MONITORED**

Thank you for contacting PTSB. For security and data protection reasons, this mailbox is not monitored, and we are unable to reply to, or action any requests received.

an initial €5 million investment to overhaul its corporate and consumer brand.

It looks as if they got their money's worth ok.

1700644404838.png

After you opened the account did you get a letter in the post to show opening balance as "nil", followed two weeks later by a further letter/statement showing the actual opening balance.

No about a week later I got 4 letters zerosiing 3 other accounts and 1 with fixed term showing correct balance

I was promised exactly the same suite of letters. It will be interesting to see what turns up.

I was promised exactly the same suite of letters. It will be interesting to see what turns up.
I have received absolutely nothing from them despite being told that I would. They are ignoring all my correspondence also. I was told that I would get two items in the post. I have received neither. Now I am concerned if the account has been opened properly, if at all.

Last edited:
Perfect opportunity for the scammers.

You are frustrated with Permanent TSB. They say they will do something and they don't. You try and contact them and fail. You become more frustrated. Eventually you get the phone call......

In your frustrated rant you give away your personal details to the scammer.

PermanentTSB should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this to happen.

Their new "altogether more human" slogan should be scrapped until they get their act together.

Has anyone got his email address? I would like him to read this thread.
I would be interested in the email addresses of those people holding senior management positions in the PTSB as I think this thread needs to be brought to their attention.

I would be interested in the email addresses of those people holding senior management positions in the PTSB as I think this thread needs to be brought to their attention.
If you look towards the end of this document there is an e-mail address for Eamonn Crowley. It has the old @permanenttsb.ie suffix. Replace this with @ptsb.ie

Using this template (first [email protected]) you can guess the rest. Not guaranteed, but a good chance that they will work.

The people you will want to contact should all be on this page

Back