Proliferation of SUVs and second hand car market

Myth 14: EVs are too heavy for multi-storey car parks​

No. EVs aren’t too heavy for multi-storey car parks.

These structures, like roads and bridges, are built to withstand much greater loads than even the heaviest EV.

On average, an EV weighs 200-300kg more than a petrol car because of the weight of the battery and electric motors. However, a large petrol or diesel car weighs more than an average-sized EV.

I'm sure that car parks have a decent safety margin built-in to their construction criteria

I'm sure that car parks have a decent safety margin built-in to their construction criteria
Yes, engineers and those in the construction sector have to actually stand over their work. Unlike lawyers etc they aren't paid for their opinion, they are paid to be right. If a structure collapses they can't just say "well I thought it would be fine".

disagree, suvs are popular because thats what people want and its what they will want if buying second hand, the traditional buyers of regular hatchbacks will remain.

also i get the feeling you are conflating crossovers with suvs.
SUV's are for farmers and people who work on construction sites etc. The people who drive them in urban areas are inconsiderate, don't care about the environment or their fellow citizens and usually think they are safer in a crash. Crossovers are for the people who think their little darlings will be safer in the back seat of an SUV but can't afford one.
Many of the owners of SUV's also seem to think they are allowed in bus lanes.

Excellent news if it comes to pass. Even better news would be the final demise of VRT which is both anti-competitive and an affront to the principle of the EU Single Market.
Except the UK left the single market and the State needs to raise taxes.

g
Our State is literally struggling to find how to spend its current tax revenue. It most certainly does not need to further raise taxes, some of which, most notoriously the combination of income tax/PRSI/USC which is currently at an unsustainable level, are contributing to everything from the rental crisis to the shortages of skilled workers.
Excellent news if it comes to pass. Even better news would be the final demise of VRT which is both anti-competitive and an affront to the principle of the EU Single Market.
Now is actually a golden, and probably once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to scrap VRT, as the secondhand car market has overheated and the usual "we shouldn't rob current owners by deflating car values" argument is at least for the moment, invalid.

Last edited:
g

Our State is literally struggling to find how to spend its current tax revenue. It most certainly does not need to further raise taxes, some of which, most notoriously the combination of income tax/PRSI/USC which is currently at an unsustainable level, and contributing to everything from the rental crisis to the shortages of skilled workers.

Now is actually a golden, and probably once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to scrap VRT, as the secondhand car market has overheated and the usual "we shouldn't rob current owners by deflating car values" argument is at least for the moment, invalid.
I don't want to see any reductions in taxes before the marginal income tax rates are reduced. Our tax base is too narrow as it is and the current model of relying on foreign corporations and the top 10% of earners to pay for everything is unsustainable. I'd make things like VRT deductible against income tax, like they are in America.

With the greens in power? The proverbial pigs flying over government buildings would be more likely :rolleyes:

I don't want to see any reductions in taxes before the marginal income tax rates are reduced. Our tax base is too narrow as it is and the current model of relying on foreign corporations and the top 10% of earners to pay for everything is unsustainable. I'd make things like VRT deductible against income tax, like they are in America.
With the greens in power? The proverbial pigs flying over government buildings would be more likely :rolleyes:
The point is that the window of opportunity for the State to rid itself of the albatross that is VRT will only last a finite time and once it's gone, it's unlikely to recur for a long time.

SUV's are for farmers and people who work on construction sites etc. The people who drive them in urban areas are inconsiderate, don't care about the environment or their fellow citizens and usually think they are safer in a crash. Crossovers are for the people who think their little darlings will be safer in the back seat of an SUV but can't afford one.
Many of the owners of SUV's also seem to think they are allowed in bus lanes.

There are some pretty wild generalisations in there.

In the last few years it is noticeable how many new cars are now SUVs, however will this pose a big problem for the second hand car market?
Will there be a big shortage of traditional mid sized and small cars as there will be too many SUVs. Therefore the price of used saloon cars will stay buoyant but it will be the opposite for used SUVs.
Younger drivers typically need to start driving small cars in order to get reasonable insurance but with so many people buying SUVs there will be few used small cars for them to buy. This will also be exasperated by the closure of the British used car market to Ireland

Saloons have become unfashionable. They're price will not be "buoyant" if there is no demand.

Small city cars are still popular.

Saloons have become unfashionable. They're price will not be "buoyant" if there is no demand.

Small city cars are still popular.
but not enough small cars are being bought because the older people with money are buying SUVs therefore there is a shortage of good second hand small cars, this demand used to be met by imports from the UK but now that has been reduced to very little because of tax changes here. Therefore tax policy should be changed to reduce the tax on smaller cars and increase it on large SUVs whether they are electric or not

I don't disagree that larger heavier SUV should be made less popular, especially in a urban setting.

There are smaller SUV which are similar to small city cars.
Yaris Cross for example. The Yaris, and Yaris Cross are one of the best selling cars in Ireland this year.

All second hand cars have got expensive, low stock, due to market conditions. Brexit, LockDown, EV production etc.

Back