Proliferation of SUVs and second hand car market

joe sod

In the last few years it is noticeable how many new cars are now SUVs, however will this pose a big problem for the second hand car market?
Will there be a big shortage of traditional mid sized and small cars as there will be too many SUVs. Therefore the price of used saloon cars will stay buoyant but it will be the opposite for used SUVs.
Younger drivers typically need to start driving small cars in order to get reasonable insurance but with so many people buying SUVs there will be few used small cars for them to buy. This will also be exasperated by the closure of the British used car market to Ireland

There are plenty of small SUVs that wouldn't cost new drivers much more in terms of insurance. Their loading is more a factor of lack of experience.

Purchases of larger SUVs aren't replacing small starter cars, they're replacing purchases of mid-size and large cars. The elderly couples living in town who just want a small runabout aren't suddenly deciding they want a Touareg.

A small suv is not the same as a mid sized standard car, they are still bigger and heavier. It's alot easier to learn how to drive in a standard car than in an suv.
I still think there will be a shortage of standard cars and demand will be very high on the second hand market

Cars have been getting bigger and heavier for a very long time now, and most small SUVs are very similarly sized to the medium cars they are replacing, they just sit a little taller. For example a Corolla hatchback is longer and wider than a Nissan Juke and a similar weight. Many find the taller stance improves visibility of obstacles around them.

Cars have been getting bigger and heavier for a very long time now, and most small SUVs are very similarly sized to the medium cars they are replacing, they just sit a little taller. For example a Corolla hatchback is longer and wider than a Nissan Juke and a similar weight. Many find the taller stance improves visibility of obstacles around them.
True. Also easier to get in and out for older drivers and passengers.

The problem for other cars eg in car parks is that taller stance comes at the price of reduced visibility for lower set cars.

A small suv is not the same as a mid sized standard car, they are still bigger and heavier. It's alot easier to learn how to drive in a standard car than in an suv.
I still think there will be a shortage of standard cars and demand will be very high on the second hand market
disagree, suvs are popular because thats what people want and its what they will want if buying second hand, the traditional buyers of regular hatchbacks will remain.

also i get the feeling you are conflating crossovers with suvs.

The problem for other cars eg in car parks is that taller stance comes at the price of reduced visibility for lower set cars.
So fewer low cars on the road should address much of that issue. :D For as long as there have been car parks, that has been a challenge though. That said, most new cars are coming with or have the option for cross-traffic alerts, so this is an issue that will disappear over time.

Last edited:
I think I read that the Windsor agreement should change the situation again?

Here's hoping.

Excellent news if it comes to pass. Even better news would be the final demise of VRT which is both anti-competitive and an affront to the principle of the EU Single Market.

disagree, suvs are popular because thats what people want and its what they will want if buying second hand, the traditional buyers of regular hatchbacks will remain.

also i get the feeling you are conflating crossovers with suvs.
Its got me confused, can you explain the difference

What Is the Difference Between Crossovers and SUVs?​

While consumers and automakers alike use the terms interchangeably - which is unsurprising given the many styling similarities they share - key differences do exist. Put simply, a crossover is lighter and built on a car platform, while a traditional SUV is heavier and uses a truck chassis. There are, however, a few additional things to help you differentiate between these two unique vehicle types.

Interesting comment in the Irish Times

Manufacturers keep pumping out SUVs so heavy they may buckle the infrastructure of multistorey car parks.
the 'article' is so light and devoid of anything of substance id wonder if thats the authors personal view or if they read a study that supports it, especially in an irish context.

Back