Prime Time - Boom to Bust - Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccbkd

Tonight RTE1 at 9.30. More Irresponsible journalism from Montrose a la Property Crash programme last or Well informed economic documenty, I suspect the usual Agent Provacateurs will be whell out McWilliams , Alan Aherne etc.. Are we the most introspective self obsessed nation in Europe, due to my recent time with work I have spent Europe I would have to say we are really becoming a greedy lot..

Re: Prime Time - Boom to Bust

"Are we the most introspective self obsessed nation in Europe, due to my recent time with work I have spent Europe I would have to say we are really becoming a greedy lot.."

Yes to the first bit but it is not a question of "becoming" that - we are that and it is not a nice trait.

mf

Totally agree ccbkd, particularly when you consider our history the blatent greed is quite sickening. As for the media talking the economy into the toilet, totally irresponsible!

Is George "Mr. Negative" Lee not doing the show tonight?
He usually gets the Prime Time gigs with David "If I say it for long enough I'll be right" McWilliams doing the other time slots.
Don't get me wrong; both men know their stuff and are worth hearing but they don't offer an alternative beyond vague woolly generalisations.

McWilliams' sneering tone can be irritating alright...the use of terms like 'decklanders' is clearly meant to cause offence. What exactly is wrong with having a patio area in your back garden where you can eat or entertain? Especially now that smoking is banned in pubs, boozing and cruising is a complete no-no, and pints are a fiver a go. These programmes are irresponsible journalism...if we panic, we really are goosed.

People need to make up their own mind but I am more willing to listen to David and George because they don't work for financial institutions, estate agencies or property companies. Therefore they can give their true opinion.

What is the point of RTE spinning out Dan McLaughlin when he has to push the BOI position all the time ?. We can't expect any great insight when they pay his salary. He can't really say what he believes.

We need objective economists.

Yeah McWilliams can be annoying with all the condescending labels. He used to be very good on the radio (NewsTalk) but he went all populist with the books trying to appeal to the mass market. By insulting it. But it worked for him.

I remember when he was publicising his book on the Late Late and he was throwing out labels left right and centre. Pat said to him "You have Decklanders, Breakfast Roll Man etc., so what category/label are you David?"

"I'm a Tube, Pat" he didn't reply but should have. Instead he said he was "An observer".

:rolleyes:

So get a panel with McWiliams, Dr Dan, Jim Power etc and have a debate. My issue is with doom and gloom merchants who seem to get aroused at the thought of a recession. We should be talking up our situation.

"We should be talking up our situation."

And thats not irresponsible?

mf

"We should be talking up our situation."

And thats not irresponsible?

mf

No, it's not and to suggest otherwise is pseudo-intellectual nonsense. The economy is going to grow this year and next year but the less well informed would be entitled to believe we are in a recession from the doom and gloom being published and broadcast. Doom and gloom makes people lower their spending which causes the recession. So suggesting to people they go out and buy that house/car/PC/pair of jeans is not irresponsible...it's responsible and patriotic.

David McWilliams does not own a property, have a garden, drive a car, eat food or live in a country. He is a spirit entity who inhabits a corporeal body just long enough to dispense sound economic advice. Therefore he is infinitely more believable than most of the pseudo-economists that get wheeled out for these discussions. You may not like what he has to say but you’d be very foolish not to take at least some of it on board. The media has every right to talk the economy in whatever direction it wishes, if the economy is sound it will be water off a ducks back. The powers that be have to learn how to manage the economy instead of just banking on taking in more money than they haemorrhage out.

And yes we really are a greedy bunch.

So get a panel with McWiliams, Dr Dan, Jim Power etc and have a debate. My issue is with doom and gloom merchants who seem to get aroused at the thought of a recession. We should be talking up our situation.

Talking up our situation has terrified young people in their early 20's into 100% mortages over 40 yrs for houses priced on unsustainable multiples of incomes.

The powers that be have to learn how to manage the economy instead of just banking on taking in more money than they haemorrhage out.
Of course a large part of the problem is that the powers that be don’t really have that much power. We can’t control world markets, interest rates etc, so we should be trying to keep ourselves as lean as possible so that we can react to change as it happens.

The media has every right to talk the economy in whatever direction it wishes, if the economy is sound it will be water off a ducks back.

And yes we really are a greedy bunch.

Then it is legitimate to accuse 'The Media' of treason and gross irresponsibility. I've seen it all before...the pseudo-intellectuals rage while people do well for themselves and they sit in their ivory towers musing on the state of the nation. And then they secretly delight as those who choose to create wealth struggle in tougher times. We CAN stave off economic difficulty by being positive. Take that holiday, buy that house, buy that car. But saying 'Ah Jaysus, we're all goosed...better pull the horns in' will bring about what we most fear.

David McWilliams does not own a property, have a garden, drive a car, eat food or live in a country. You may not like what he has to say but you’d be very foolish not to take at least some of it on board. The media has every right to talk the economy in whatever direction it wishes, if the economy is sound it will be water off a ducks back.

David goes to his holiday home in Dubrovnik every Summer (ver jealous of this fact myself) and I believe he owns his own house.

I agree with all you said - all you have to do is look around to see the economy is slowing down. I've seen signs on shops saying not hiring summer staff for example.

I like to hear everyone and make up my own mind and think the media should be giving us all the facts and as many viewspoints as they can including the ones we don't like to hear (but I do like David).

Then it is legitimate to accuse 'The Media' of treason and gross irresponsibility. I've seen it all before...the pseudo-intellectuals rage while people do well for themselves and they sit in their ivory towers musing on the state of the nation. And then they secretly delight as those who choose to create wealth struggle in tougher times. We CAN stave off economic difficulty by being positive. Take that holiday, buy that house, buy that car. But saying 'Ah Jaysus, we're all goosed...better pull the horns in' will bring about what we most fear.

It's a free country you can accuse the media of whatever you like. But holidaying you way out of a global downturn is hardly the answer.
Personally I prefer to deal with the most likely scenario. Interest rates will not come down, oil will increase and the cost of foodstuffs will rise.
Nothing you, I or anyone else says will prevent that. Blaming the media for our economic woes may make some of feel better but will not change the facts.

Wow the programme hasn't even been aired yet, and look at the lively debate it has sparked, lets hope Miriam and the gang don't disappoint!

I like to hear everyone and make up my own mind and think the media should be giving us all the facts and as many viewspoints as they can including the ones we don't like to hear (but I do like David).[/quote]

Sadly, Dan, Austin and all the other vested interests get a totally disproportionate amount of airtime and print space. We need balance and I am sure many of those who bought in '06/'07 had heard alot more from George and David McW.

Like them or not, we need George and David.

Remember the VI furore over the Property Crash programme last year. I am sure there are PR companies working overtime all across Dublin tonight to give the VI counter spin tomorrow. They can't talk "softlanding" anymore ... its now about "affordability" and other "buy now" slogans. Lets blame the government for not doing enough on stamp duty etc etc etc . The obliging media will wheel them all out ...if it was'nt so serious it would be funny !!

Sadly, Dan, Austin and all the other vested interests get a totally disproportionate amount of airtime and print space. quote]

I agree and find it amusing that people are saying the media is talking down the economy cos if they are they only started.

I only really listen to Dan and Autin for a giggle - same with EA's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back