pharmacists not stocking cheaper generic drugs

I can't see any logical reason why pharmacists don't offer generics.

Legally, pharamacies are only permitted to dispense the exact drug brand written on the prescription. Anything else is breaking the law

But, if you ask for a generic and they have it, most pharmacists will give you it.

If a generic or no brand is specified on the prescription, the pharmacist can give any brand they have in stock.

Most pharmacies won't keep many generics in stock as very very few people ask for generics. For the drugs that aren't dispensed as often, they often only get the main brand as they is the one most commonly prescribed by doctors.

Bottom Line: If you want a generic, ask your doctor to write that on the prescription. then ask your pharmacy to order that brand in if they don't have it in stock

A pharmacist may correct me but I think this has to do with the discounts offered by companies for bulk orders - generic companies offer much less discount than big pharma.

Actually most generics companies give better discounts and deals than the big name manufacturers. The reason they don't stock them is demand

Back