pharmacists not stocking cheaper generic drugs

Solpadeine formulation has now changed: no codeine in it.
It's now just paracetamol and caffeine: ie it's now a completely different medication to what it was before!!! (ie you may as well take panadol and a cup of coffee): and there's a big price difference between paracetamol and 'solpadeine', for essentially the same produce (bar the caffeine)
Had anyone else heard this?
I'm very unimpressed.

Nicola

Solpadeine formulation has now changed: no codeine in it.
It's now just paracetamol and caffeine: ie it's now a completely different medication to what it was before!!! (ie you may as well take panadol and a cup of coffee): and there's a big price difference between paracetamol and 'solpadeine', for essentially the same produce (bar the caffeine)
Had anyone else heard this?
I'm very unimpressed.

Nicola

Nicola, sorry but that is plain wrong. Solpadeine as sold in Irish pharmacies is unchanged. Maybe you saw a UK pack or "Solpadeine Headache"

Why is it not possible to purchase pure aspirin OTC in pharmacists?
I wish I knew! Paracetamol does nothing for me, so I am reliant on aspirin for headaches/colds.

The last time I tried to buy some in a pharmacy I was told "Oh, they've stopped making that"!

I had to buy full brand aspirin instead.

It may be something to do with the fact that you can only buy a day and a bit's worth of anything without a prescription (12 tablets is it?) - as cheap generics come in bumper packs, the pharmacies can't sell them OTC?

I am in the same boat as you. I am allergic to paracetamol so aspirin is the only option for me. I was not aware that the paracetamol rules applied to aspirin.

I am off to the USA next week so I shall obtain some sensibly size bottles. ;)

I tried to purchase the soluble Solpadeine in both France and Spain last year but could not get it, maybe it's banned, I don't know. I find that I can take a paracetamol and sometimes it works where other times it has no effect. I often wonder is it me or the tablet that is the cause of this.

Sorry, solpadeine formulation has changed in the UK (recently bought some there and was surprised that changed ingredients)

Nicola

Sorry, solpadeine formulation has changed in the UK (recently bought some there and was surprised that changed ingredients)

I bought some last month in an Asda pharmacy in Nnorthamptonshire and they are the 'proper' Solpadeine formula.

The Solpadeine 'Headache' type combines paracetamol and caffeine.

[broken link removed]

The others still have codeine in them eg. Soluable, Plus, Max

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/

This crowd charges £7.49 delivery, but if you buy in bulk its still the same.

And heres a page for Asprin
http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/aspirin_v_467.html

Complainer, you said 75mg?
100 Dispersible Aspirin Tablets 75mg

49p
Was: 99p[broken link removed]|[broken link removed] YOU SAVE: 50p

I get stuff sent over all the time, over the counter stuff, with no problem.
Europe delivery charge is GBP7.49 - RoI being Europe ? Expensivo ?

Pharmacists should offer generics instead of brand name drugs if the doctor writes “generic” on the prescription however it comes down to the person paying the bill; ask the doctor to prescribe the generic version and ask the pharmacist to dispense it. If the pharmacist doesn’t have the generic take your business elsewhere (if you went into Fast-Fit for a set of Nankang tyres and they didn’t have any would you pay for Pirelli’s instead?)

In America when a you take a prescription to a pharmacist, the first thing you are asked is "Do you want generics?" I can't see any logical reason why pharmacists don't offer generics.

Pharmacists should offer generics instead of brand name drugs if the doctor writes “generic” on the prescription however it comes down to the person paying the bill; ask the doctor to prescribe the generic version and ask the pharmacist to dispense it. If the pharmacist doesn’t have the generic take your business elsewhere
It may be a case of getting the doctor to perscribe the generic drug, rather than any particular brand name. But generics are not available for every drug. As far as I can make out, my own drug of choice Micardis is in patent until 2014, so there won't be generics until after that.

Can anyone help interpret the content of this spreadsheet which appears to document the deal between the HSE, the wholesalers and the pharmacist;

What is meant by ;
Reimbursement price?
Price to Wholesaler?
New RP?
New PTW?

As far as I know, the reimbursement price is what the pharmacist gets from the HSE.

The two new prices: Reimbursement and Price to Wholesaler.

The way is used to work is as follows:

Govt and suppliers agree drug price, say 100.

Wholesaler buys at 100, sells to pharmacy at 117.64.

Pharmacy adds 0% marging for medical cards, 50% margin for the DPS scheme.

Pharmacy also gets discount from the wholesaler.

I was in Portugal a few weeks back and decided to purchase some Paracetamol. I went in to a pharmacist in Faro and was offered Panadol straight off. I think they were about €2.50 for 12. I asked had they a generic version and I was given 20 for €1.33.
Not a huge saving as I can get 12 Paracetamol in Boots (Boots brand) for 80c. I also have some 10% discount vouchers for Boots and I also get points on my Boots card.

As far as I know, the reimbursement price is what the pharmacist gets from the HSE.

The two new prices: Reimbursement and Price to Wholesaler.
Thanks - so the reimbursement price would be what the pharmacist gets from the HSE for holders of full medical cards.

It looks like the 'new reimbursement' price in that spreadsheet is showing significant decreases in prices for many drugs. I'm guessing that this spreadsheet related to the now-aborted new pricing scheme brought out this year.

The way is used to work is as follows:

Govt and suppliers agree drug price, say 100.

Wholesaler buys at 100, sells to pharmacy at 117.64.

Pharmacy adds 0% margin for medical cards, 50% margin for the DPS scheme.

Pharmacy also gets discount from the wholesaler.

Thanks for the clarification. For the DPS scheme, I presume the HSE refund only applies after the customer has exceeded his monthly limit? I never hit my limit, though I do present my card when purchasing - does this make any difference?

In America when a you take a prescription to a pharmacist, the first thing you are asked is "Do you want generics?" I can't see any logical reason why pharmacists don't offer generics.

In Ireland, if a doctor specifies a particular brand of medication on a prescription, that is what the pharmacist must dispense. Generic substitution is not permitted! The IPU have suggested that pharmacists be allowed substitute a generic cheaper medication thus saving the patient and the state money but so far the government have refused to allow it!

Ask the doctor writing a prescription to prescribe by generic and then the pharmacist can dispense the cheaper product.

Bought some Tesco aspirin in the UK the other week. 13p for a packet of 16 (yes, that is pence). The paracetamol was a similar low price (18p, I think).

Back