Personal shopper service for men

I didn't suggest there was, but where I work in the finance tech sector, an executive showing up in a suit is considered a dinosaur.
Dinosaur reporting for duty here then. :p Look, standards change and evolve over time. As I entered the workforce over 40 years ago, the standards of that era seem appropriate and normal to me. In a customer facing business environment, that means a well cut suit, or jacket/blazer/trousers combo, nice shirt (double cuff is a bonus) and tie, and lace up shoes (no tassels or buckles!) Basically, you wear what the boss tends to wear.

But different times, different industries, different norms. If the boss thinks t-shirts and jeans fit the bill, then so be it. Some things remain constant though. Whatever you're wearing, look like you've made an effort. Cut and fit is important. So is colour palette. This won't be the same for everybody, height, shape and complexions differ! If you can work out what style and colours look good on you, then back your judgement and go for it - gradually develop your own style. If you can't work it out yourself (and there's no shame in that) take advice. Not necessarily from sales people - you don't ask your barber if you need a haircut! But significant others tend to be helpful here, as are female relatives and friends. It's a gendered world, lean into it!

Reactions: Leo
Basically, you wear what the boss tends to wear.
I've often heard it said to dress for the role you want, not the one you currently have. People have a natural tendency to levitate towards the familiar, so looking like you fit a role can help you get there.

I've often heard it said to dress for the role you want, not the one you currently have. People have a natural tendency to levitate towards the familiar, so looking like you fit a role can help you get there.
Exactly!

I’ve often thought that the“casual” dress code in supposedly trailblazing techie companies is, in reality, every bit as rigid and regimented as the suit and tie culture of the past.

People dress to suit the workplace culture. Nothing’s really changed.

I’ve often thought that the“casual” dress code in supposedly trailblazing techie companies is, in reality, every bit as rigid and regimented as the suit and tie culture of the past.

Having worked in a few that's not my experience, where I currently work you get everything from biker gear to blazers and dickie bows.

Our dress approach in the tech company I work for is common sense. If you're going to a client where they are all suited and booted, you don't rock up in a pair of cargo shorts and a manky t shirt, If they are smart casual, you can reflect that. Only thing we have an issue sometimes is with first jobbers and grads who may need some "feedback" on their dress and the occassional slogan t-shirts

I do recall reading the rules in a Belfast company before lockdown, every sport jersey for every and any team was banned,

I do recall reading the rules in a Belfast company before lockdown, every sport jersey for every and any team was banned,
This should be legally binding anyway for anyone over the age of 18, unless actually playing a match.

I’ve seen sights I can never unsee!!

As a no longer young male, who needs to dress presentably for work, at least sometimes, my suggestion is this.

The most important thing about clothes is that they feel comfortable. Not just in terms of size/fit. I find that something either feels right or it doesn't. You never know how something you try on in the shop will feel like after a few wears.

The solution is buy a number of shirts or whatever, in a short time you will feel yourself reaching for a favourite and ignoring the others.

Also beyond a certain price point, cost is no guarantee of anything.

One of the best pieces of advice I received in relation to clothing is that if you buy a shirt or other item of clothing that you really like you should go and buy a second one for when the first one wears out.

That said I have t-shirts which I still wear that are more 20 years old.

One of the best pieces of advice I received in relation to clothing is that if you buy a shirt or other item of clothing that you really like you should go and buy a second one for when the first one wears out.

That said I have t-shirts which I still wear that are more 20 years old.
I do this with shoes. Sometimes same pair again, or maybe a pair in different colour.

I agree . When something fits comfortably and looks good why not wear it again and again. When they are ironed they look as good as new .. Even when they are not quite good enough to wear for good wear just wear then around the garden or the house..

Back