Personal shopper service for men

let me unequivocal, a polo neck under a suit or blazer NEVER works well, on anyone.

Plenty of guys here who can pull it off in my view, so we will agree to disagree

It completely depends on the weight of the knit and the rest of the styling. If you just pop a think polo jumper under a suit that's not styled for it you are probably doing to look terrible alright.

Hi Slim, that makes a lot of sense.

Although I have been to places like Louis Copland before, maybe they do have a broader scope than I am giving them credit for, but in my mind they are suit focused, and the fit of the suit perhaps more than what style actually works best?

I'm also looking for advice beyond suits, business casual for example, smart jeans & blazer (but what fit is actually smart under what blazer....?).
Smart casual in Europe is usually chinos not jeans. Reiss have a range of fine knit polo shirts which are popular at the moment. Pinterest is a useful App to put together outfits. Perhaps search under capsule wardrobe?! Your height, weight and colouring will dictate what looks best on you. Buying off rail and having it altered (tailored) to fit is a good tip.

Your height, weight and colouring will dictate what looks best on you.
That’s really the bottom line.

You also need to feel comfortable in what you’re wearing. For example, as a grown man, I couldn’t bring myself to wear tasseled shoes, no matter how nice other people thought they were. Same with polo necks (although I doubt I’d receive any compliments anyway - perhaps a few plaudits for courage, optimism etc).

I don’t think there’s any point in recommending a specific “look” to the OP that might not suit him. The referrals to good shops with staff that will help him make his own choices are much more helpful.

You also need to feel comfortable in what you’re wearing. For example, as a grown man, I couldn’t bring myself to wear tasseled shoes, no matter how nice other people thought they were. Same with polo necks (although I doubt I’d receive any compliments anyway - perhaps a few plaudits for courage, optimism etc).

I don’t think there’s any point in recommending a specific “look” to the OP that might not suit him. The referrals to good shops with staff that will help him make his own choices are much more helpful.
Just curious you say you couldnt bring yourself to wear tasseled shoes as a grown man, who do you think they are for? half grown men? Kids or you just dont like them?

Plenty of guys here who can pull it off in my view, so we will agree to disagree

It completely depends on the weight of the knit and the rest of the styling. If you just pop a think polo jumper under a suit that's not styled for it you are probably doing to look terrible alright.
i dont think any of them look good, but we can all have different views,

one thing i am pretty certain of is that its very fashion forward, it doesnt match the executive attire brief.

Again im not sure i agree, mens clothing can be very simple, i cant ever recall seeing someone in khaki chinos, blue shirt and navy blazer with good shoes, assuming it all fits correctly, and thought that doesnt suit them.

Just curious you say you couldnt bring yourself to wear tasseled shoes as a grown man, who do you think they are for? half grown men? Kids or you just dont like them?
I think I had a pair when I made my communion aged 7. My mother got them for me. I believe this combination of circumstances is the only instance in which tasseled shoes should be considered.

I don’t realIy understand how anyone with the independence to buy their own clothes would look at tassels on a pair of shoes and think they’re a good idea.

Last edited:
I think I had a pair when I made my communion aged 7. My mother got them for me. I believe this combination of circumstances is the only occasion on which tasseled shoes should be considered.

I don’t realIy understand how anyone with the independence to buy their own clothes would look at tassels on a pair of shoes and think they’re a good idea.
fair enough, I would have to respectfully disagree, I personally wouldn't wear with a suit, but with chinos and a blazer, i like them.

one thing i am pretty certain of is that its very fashion forward, it doesnt match the executive attire brief.
Executive attire norms vary significantly across different industries though and I don't think we know the OP's.

I associate them with men wearing too much aftershave and jewellery other than a watch. A bit tacky in other words. That's just my opinion though.

I associate them with men wearing too much aftershave and jewellery other than a watch. A bit tacky in other words. That's just my opinion though.
i like to think i wear the right amount of aftershave and apart from my watch its just a wedding band, i can also be found in tasseled loafers on occasion.

is there an industry where polo necks under a suit is the norm?
A "mockneck" under a blazer perhaps... in certain organisations :)

PrisonerNo6-CL-Blazer1.jpg

I didn't suggest there was, but where I work in the finance tech sector, an executive showing up in a suit is considered a dinosaur.
perhaps, but the poster being replied to said:

I'm also looking for advice beyond suits, business casual for example, smart jeans & blazer

so safe to make assumptions around what he is after.

perhaps, but the poster being replied to said:

I'm also looking for advice beyond suits, business casual for example, smart jeans & blazer

so safe to make assumptions around what he is after.
True, but I was just responding to the question posed.

Back