Passport in poor condition!

Rocrules

Hi there.

I'm travelling to Costa Rica on the 24th of March via Newark NJ.

My concern is the condition of my passport. I've used it often in the last 8 years and it's a bit rough around the edges. It has gotten wet a couple of times. There is some smudging on some of the page stamps in the middle. There is a very small amount of lifting on the laminate beside the photograph, which you would only notice if you looked for it. The whole passport is bent a little from being in my pocket while abroad. There is some lifting at the corners.

The last time I used it was in August '09 to get into Vietnam and the customs guy at Hanoi airport criticised the condition of my passport and told me that I should get a new one. He let me in anyway. The passport was also scanned in Bangkok with no problems. I forgot all about it until now.

My concern is that I'm travelling through the USA to get to Costa Rica. If I'm going to have any trouble, it's with US customs.

I decided to get a new passport and save me some worrying. It's due for renewal in 2012 anyway. The turnaround for a Passport Express application is 10 working days - I have 15 working days before I travel.

The problem now is that there is industrial action going on in the passport office and "Due to this ongoing industrial action it is not currently possible to guarantee the turnaround time for passport services."

Now I'm starting to get worried.

Has anyone got any suggestions? I understand that it's hard to make the call on my current passport without seeing it.

Thanks!

Another thing - If I go to Dublin to get it fast tracked (if it's possible because of the industrial action), it will cost about 40 on petrol, 50 for fast tracking, a day off work on top of the 80 for the passport. That's an expensive trip.....

If it's any help - I did Passport Express (for 4) on the 11th February and I recived 3 of them on Monday (1st and the last one yeasterday - 2nd). A little over the 10 working days (12 & 13 days), but cutting it fine if you have a departure date in 15 days time

Hi there.

I'm travelling to Costa Rica on the 24th of March via Newark NJ.

The last time I used it was in August '09 to get into Vietnam and the customs guy at Hanoi airport criticised the condition of my passport and told me that I should get a new one. He let me in anyway. The passport was also scanned in Bangkok with no problems. I forgot all about it until now.

My concern is that I'm travelling through the USA to get to Costa Rica. If I'm going to have any trouble, it's with US customs.

I decided to get a new passport and save me some worrying. It's due for renewal in 2012 anyway. The turnaround for a Passport Express application is 10 working days - I have 15 working days before I travel.

Yyou were warned in August 09 - why didn't you apply for a new passport then?? Looks to me like you have no choice but to pay the extras for the new passport. What do you want people to say - "go ahead sure you'll be fine". How can anyone say?

It's US Immigration that you'll have the problem not customs.

+1 batty

The passport is eight years' old - you will have to buy a new one in two years' time anyway.

So, weigh it up, buy a new passport now versus the high probability that US Homeland Security will send you home on the next flight and have you on record for the rest of your life "denied entry".

Not sure if this helps either - My new born two years ago needed a passport (had booked her ticket before she was born) and was told by passport office that if i came up to dublin the friday before our flight we could pick up the passport, with proof of the flight on Monday. However I decided being clever i would go up the Friday before the recommended friday and they wouldnt give me the passport there and then but it would be ready the following Wednesday. Two trips to dublin by train is not nice.....

I think Brendan had it in his post but there was another thread recently where a couple on their honeymoon to the USA were denied boarding by Aer Lingus due to a poor passport i.e. curling corners and lamination damaged.

It sounds like your situation is similar; maybe not as bad but you would be crazy to take a chance. If it means actually going to the passport office and waiting all day and paying the €50 extra (and travel costs), you will need to do it.

Back