Paid Hotel A Deposit For Wedding, But They Reneged On Our Agreement

heretohelp

Hi all,

Any advice on the following would be greatly received.

I booked a wedding in 2008 , for 2010 and paid a deposit of 1700 euro, in two installments, and initial deposit of 650, then 1050 three months later .
Anyway, i recently contacted the hotel to discuss the wedding details and asked about the price of the rooms , ( we were promised discounted rooms), I was told the rate, but the rate is the exact same as their normal rate on their website, i pointed this out and was told that that was thier price and that it was final. I told them this is not what we agreed on and was swifly told that they do not negotiate. I want looking to negotiate , i was looking to receive the promised rate.

I was then told that their package rate had increased, that we were to pay 5 euro extra per person for them meal , and also 1200 euro for the evening buffet, which had previously been included !

I did not agree to any of this when booking. We agreed a price freeze, but not in writing:(.

I phoned back that evening to speak to the manager who wouldnt take my call.
I cancelled the next day and asked for my money back as they broke our agreement. They havent acknowledged me at all.

What can i do ?

I would also put your queries in writing and request a written response within 7 days. It will give you more to work with if you do end up taking the route of the small claims court.

Put exactly what you were promised rates wise and that the rates are not discounted, they are what is on the website. State what was agreed verbally as well regarding the evening buffet and the price freeze. In this economy, they should be giving you a dicount not a price increase! Also state the number of calls you have made (dates/times/etc) and their lack of response. If they are part of a chain, copy head office too.

Good luck.

I would also put your queries in writing and request they respond in writing within 7 days. It will give you more to work with if you do end up taking the route of the small claims court. Good luck.
hi,
I put it in an email on wednesday and gave them until this wed no respond, havent heard a word yet. So frustrating

No details in writing, just agreement made verbally with the wedding co-ordinator in the hotel the day we booked, complimentary chair covers was another thing, but now they want 5 euro a chair !

Have they not sent you out a contract yet. How long ago did you book? I would wait until Wednesday for their response. I would not have sent an email, but a registered letter. That way they cant say they never received it.

Have they not sent you out a contract yet. How long ago did you book? I would wait until Wednesday for their response. I would not have sent an email, but a registered letter. That way they cant say they never received it.
Your right, I should have sent a registered letter , I will do that in the morning, no i received no contract.

i booked in jan 2008

No details in writing, just agreement made verbally with the wedding co-ordinator in the hotel the day we booked, complimentary chair covers was another thing, but now they want 5 euro a chair !

even if their promises were only made verbally they are still bound by estoppel - which basically makes what is verbally agreed binding

Either way if you haven't signed a contract I don't see how they can keep the deposit.

even if their promises were only made verbally they are still bound by estoppel - which basically makes what is verbally agreed binding

If something was only agreed verbally, though, it can be very difficult to prove.

Better look around for another hotel asap because you might not want to deal with this type of organisation in the long run.

Back