Opinion on High Mileage Rover 75

Quote: >> the galant does'nt have side airbags and having to merge in with traffic a couple of times a day it would be useful ??? What the hell do you propose to do, bash your way in. The livelihood, even in the event that you side swipe car next to you, of the side airbag going off is low I would say. They really are meant to be as protection if you get almost full side on from car coming from side road/street. You have better chance of getting rear ended on motorway/dual carriageway. I have driven Galant for last 3 years and as cars go it has been brilliant. Reliable, comfortable and responsive (BTW it is a diesel). I have just come back from month in New Zealand and the country is full of them so they can't be all that bad. As regards Rover, it is British built and if it is newer age the influence of Japanese parts and build quality will be much less if any? Always buy Japanese, there are very good reasons why they sell so many of them around the world.

Thanks for the adivce. No I wasn't planning to bash my way in but as we all know there's plenty of lunatic drivers out there that might just do that, or similar stuff.

Anyway, there is a reason why cars have side airbags and I wouldn't discount that reason altogether just because my car doesn't have one :) Sure Galant is a brilliant car, and I might as well buy one of them, but it doesn't make it perfect! It is less safe than alot of European cars (at leasr on paper) because safetly has not been Japanase cars Forté, same as reliability not being European cars strongest point. It's not that black and white. I personally prefer European cars to Japanese ones in general, if I have a choice. I position safetly before anything else (including reliability/cost). But I'm also willing to find a good compromise, like a Galant, which has shown very good real life results.

And if Kiwis love them then... we should love them too? great logic:)

I bought a Rover 75 2.0 diesel in '02 -demo car 9k miles.
I traded my Audi A4 tdi and I must say the Rover is one of the best cars I have ever had.
Extremely reliably - car now has 78k miles and only ever had to replace battery outside of normal service items.
Very economical, lively (150bhp) and comfortable.
No problem with parts as Caterpillar are the suppliers with plenty of stocks.
Engine is as BMW 320d and Trinity motors Wexford ship anything else required overnight.
I believe the 1.8 does have problems - Get a diesel if you can find one!

I am currently looking to change and the only car I see to compare is the IS220d.

Regards
Dermot

>> And if Kiwis love them then... we should love them too? great logic

Ah now muffinsda, don't have a go at the kiwis...
Btw my logic works in much weirder ways.
The reason I mentioned kiwis was the concentration of this model in NZ was very high. They tend to go for cars for long term and indeed are still driving quiet a few cars from 70s and 80s. So they must know something about it's longevity.

No car is perfect as regards safety. Some mothers state they drive 4x4 because they are safer but they can actually be less safe if driven the same as a normal car.
If something freaky occurs you may not be protected no matter what car you are in. Them's the breaks unfortunately.
All you can do is improve the odds in your favour.
So drive Humvee or Volvo. Volvo much easier to park but not as scary to other motorists.
Me I advise driving John Deere 150hp tractor with front loader.
You will never break the speed limit and nobody will play chicken with you.

Yes Japanese cars are lighter than your Mercs or Bmeers.
Renault cars have had some of the best sadety ratings out there and they would not be rated as very heavy cars.

>> And if Kiwis love them then... we should love them too? great logic

Ah now muffinsda, don't have a go at the kiwis...
Btw my logic works in much weirder ways.
The reason I mentioned kiwis was the concentration of this model in NZ was very high. They tend to go for cars for long term and indeed are still driving quiet a few cars from 70s and 80s. So they must know something about it's longevity.

No car is perfect as regards safety. Some mothers state they drive 4x4 because they are safer but they can actually be less safe if driven the same as a normal car.
If something freaky occurs you may not be protected no matter what car you are in. Them's the breaks unfortunately.
All you can do is improve the odds in your favour.
So drive Humvee or Volvo. Volvo much easier to park but not as scary to other motorists.
Me I advise driving John Deere 150hp tractor with front loader.
You will never break the speed limit and nobody will play chicken with you.

Yes Japanese cars are lighter than your Mercs or Bmeers.
Renault cars have had some of the best sadety ratings out there and they would not be rated as very heavy cars.

Thanks for the clarification :)
Unfortunately I'm not in the Humvee/John Deere camp! I think safety doesn't equate size! You can have a properly designed car -i.e. Renault Clio- that is a lot safer than an SUV, and lots of studies have proven that.
I think I made the rest of my point clearly in the previous post so no need to drag it on.

Back