Opinion on High Mileage Rover 75

muffinsda

Changed job recently, need a car to go to work. Will do a bit of N11/M50 regularly so need something safe. Came across a high mileage (101000) Rover 75 with the following description:

Petrol, 4 Door Saloon, 4 Doors, Manual, One owner from new. MOT until Feb 08, 107k miles. Banbridge Area. Full Dealer Service History, ABS Brakes, Full Climate Control, Alloy Wheels, Front/Rear Electric Windows, Electric Mirrors, Remote Control Audio, Body Coloured Bumpers and Mirrors. Full 100k Service in Feb 2007 included new Timing Belts and Tensioners, Clutch, Radiator, Water Pump, 4 x Tyres (Spare Tyre as new), Suspension Overhauled. Car management system reports 13k+ until next service. (Banbridge)

Do you think it's worth 4000 euros + VRT (@around 1400 euros)? Mileage is very high but looks like it's been well looked after. Rover doesn't have a good reputation for reliability but this one has very good reviews.

Do you think I should get it?
Other option I'm considreing is a 00 Jap Import Galant (Auto). That'll be more reliable but less safe.

I would stay well clear. But you never gave the year or engine size, if it has the Honda engine it will stay going but the rest of the car might not! I would take the Galant of the 2 you mentioned but the auto will be thirsty on M50 type drives. I really dont see how the rover would be safer. Why not look at a Accord? They will go for ever but depreciate fast (old models anyway, not the new one) and be relatively cheap to run if you locate the 1.8 petrol. A Nissan Primera would be similar.

I would stay well clear. But you never gave the year or engine size, if it has the Honda engine it will stay going but the rest of the car might not! I would take the Galant of the 2 you mentioned but the auto will be thirsty on M50 type drives. I really dont see how the rover would be safer. Why not look at a Accord? They will go for ever but depreciate fast (old models anyway, not the new one) and be relatively cheap to run if you locate the 1.8 petrol. A Nissan Primera would be similar.
Thanks john, and sorry, Year 2000, engine 1.8
Not a Honda Engine. It's made right after split-up with BMW so the engine would be quite similar. In fact the 2litre diesel version of the same car has exact same engine as 320d.

Anyway, it's safer than a galant because it has side airbags and also because numerous reviews and euroncap say that. I don't know how much of it reflects reality though. But the galant does'nt have side airbags and having to merge in with traffic a couple of times a day it would be useful... generally none of those earlt 2000s jap cars have as much safetly credentials as major european rivals.

just found this: for those interested in safety matters:
[broken link removed]

turns out galant is also very safe in real life reports!

(btw, you can see what a boring person I am :) )

Nah. 75's aren't as bad as you might think but a one with that amount of leg, especially in petrol guise, is best avoided i reckon.

if its any comfort,Im on my 2nd Rover75, petro 01d, and now a desel 05.
neither has given any trouble at all.
The spec is very high, and the car is quiet classy to look at . The petrol was real good car for long runs, and I switched to desel auto cause wifes car was auto as well and switching back and forth from auto to gear was annoying.

And Igot all the usual oh Rover are terrrable cars, maybe inthe 70's
but as I said never any problem and love my racing green 2liter auto :D

Thanks lads. That's why I've read on other reviews as well. This one seems to be better built than the rest. Pity they went belly up when they were getting their act together.
btw, I agree that it looks very beautiful and classy. It has to be damn good looking to win a "most beautiful car" award from a motor show in Milan!
Obviously those who thing Impreza is a beautiful car wouldn't agree with me though :)

Thanks lads. That's why I've read on other reviews as well. This one seems to be better built than the rest. Pity they went belly up when they were getting their act together.
btw, I agree that it looks very beautiful and classy. It has to be damn good looking to win a "most beautiful car" award from a motor show in Milan!
Obviously those who thing Impreza is a beautiful car wouldn't agree with me though :)

The fact it's one owner and has FSH would tend to mitigate against the high mileage, and it is a lot of car for the money.

Having said that a quick look at autotrader.co.uk would tend to suggest that the asking price is on the high side.

The fact it's one owner and has FSH would tend to mitigate against the high mileage, and it is a lot of car for the money.

Having said that a quick look at autotrader.co.uk would tend to suggest that the asking price is on the high side.

Thanks ang. That's right, I've heard that a well looked after high mileage car is better than poorly services 3-owner low mileage equivalent. But in my mind 100000 is a big threshold and I get scared to go over it :)

Yep, you can get them alot cheaper in the UK but this one is in NI which mean s you'll save on costs of ferry, flight, possible accomodation etc.

are parts easily available for them?
Yep, as far as I know.
The chinese crowd that bought rover are continuing to produce them in China. In fact two automotive groups in China are making them. Aside from that most dealers who were selling new Rovers in 2007 we giving a 10 year guarantee on availability of parts. So I wouldn't worry about that.

But I probably be sensible and boring at the end of the day and get the low mileage jap import Galant :(

The 75 being petrol must be either the K series 4 or 6 cylinder unit. The K series engine whilst excellent from most points of view, smoothness, easy starting, flexibility etc is prone to head gasket failure. This in itself is not a big fix providing the car was stopped before overheating could occur.
At 100000 miles then either the job has already been done or could be about to happen! If already done and well done, especially if the Landrover modified gasket was used, you should be OK. The 6s are less likely to suffer than the 4s but are harder to fix if you are unfortunate.

The 75 is a great car very comfortable over long distances and drives great. I had a 00 model 45 for 3 years and never had a problem with it.
Unfortunately the head gasket failure tarred the whole model line up with the same brush if you could stretch to it I'm betting you could get the below 2.0 Diesel version for 6k which would be a very good buy.

Good Luck ;)

The 75 is a great car very comfortable over long distances and drives great. I had a 00 model 45 for 3 years and never had a problem with it.
Unfortunately the head gasket failure tarred the whole model line up with the same brush if you could stretch to it I'm betting you could get the below 2.0 Diesel version for 6k which would be a very good buy.

Good Luck ;)

Thanks a mill. This is really good actually. I'll definitely try it. I can stretch to 6k probably.
Thanks again!

And thanks for advice philip.

I wouldn't mind having this one its real classy looking.

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

Check below link for detailed info on 75

[broken link removed]

i have a 75 diesel automatic in conn se spec (chrome mirrors + leather). it is brilliant,luxurious and beautiful and streets ahead of any bmw 3 series. the auto box is ultra smooth and a delight to drive. as mentioned previously, the 1.8 rover k series engine blows head gaskets about every 30k miles which really is unacceptable. i would therefore recommend you steer clear of it and find a diesel instead.

thanks for the advice xt40.
I have heard that the diesel engine version of them is alot better alright, but didn't know of the head gasket issue.
It looks like I won't be buying one after all, the wife managed to talk some sense to me last night and I think she has a point, we'll stick to the one car we have for now (00 Saab 93) and see if I really need one in a couple of months.
It'll be sad to miss this Diesel one though, as they don't come to market at this price that often. But sure there'll be others in future...

Quote: >> the galant does'nt have side airbags and having to merge in with traffic a couple of times a day it would be useful ??? What the hell do you propose to do, bash your way in. The livelihood, even in the event that you side swipe car next to you, of the side airbag going off is low I would say. They really are meant to be as protection if you get almost full side on from car coming from side road/street. You have better chance of getting rear ended on motorway/dual carriageway. I have driven Galant for last 3 years and as cars go it has been brilliant. Reliable, comfortable and responsive (BTW it is a diesel). I have just come back from month in New Zealand and the country is full of them so they can't be all that bad. As regards Rover, it is British built and if it is newer age the influence of Japanese parts and build quality will be much less if any? Always buy Japanese, there are very good reasons why they sell so many of them around the world.

Back