Online Car Scam

Hi Louise

I also do think "mathepac" was trying to belittle you on this post..users like clubman and mathepac should realise posts like yours are what makes this forum!

best regards
L

Hi Louise

I also do think "mathepac" was trying to belittle you on this post..users like clubman and mathepac should realise posts like yours are what makes this forum!

best regards
L

Thank you so much lamb! I'm glad you agree :)

Hi All!

You will be glad to know that a member of An Garda Siochana have responded to me and have forwarded my correspondence to the Garda National Fraud Office for their investigation.

He also checked out the car and it does actually belong to a girl by the name of Amanda!

Regards,

Louise-eve.

I would imagine thats part of the scam - that they use the real owners name - so that if you check up who owns it you'll be reassured that you are dealing with the real "Amanda Finegan".

Ya I know! I think the Gardai are worried that they are obtaining some very personal information.. Lets hope some of these guys will get caught :)

Some of the Moderators behave like Jack Palance in the movie "Shane"

Hilarious!

Shame on Carzone for not taking down those ads! Though there seems to be so many of them that they would probably be down a lot of Revenue. What the scammers seem to be actually doing is copying another ad with the exact same details, only difference being, the real ad has a contact number, where the false one has an email address. I would also be rightly cheesed off with carzone if I were the genuine seller - how could you sell your car, when someone else is selling it for less.

Louise, did you or the Gardai contact the real seller of the car to advise them their ad was cloned. Or has it been ascertained that is exactly what happenend in this case.

Even though it might seem obvious to some people (this scam is really old hat now), there are still some people out there who will fall for it. I don't see anything wrong with Louise posting her experience. If by posting her experience, she alerts one more person to it and saves them from losing their hard earned cash, I think that's a success for the forum. What will happen next, is that the scam will change slightly, then a load of other people will fall for it, before it becomes public knowledge and is tweaked again.

The internet is a double edged sword, it has definitely been responsible for scams such as this becoming widespread allowing these people access to your front room from where ever they are in the world trying to rip you off, I believe people "hit" by the scammers should post warnings too, it is the only way of possibly alerting someone who may fall for it.

The majority of victims of scams don't usually admit they have been conned..they are too embarrassed....and so the con artists continue on their merry way laughing all the way to the bank...you took a while to spot it but for a 20 year old Louise you have just proved to yourself and many older and 'wiser' people that experience keeps a dear school! Thanks for being so detailed in your story :)

Louise im so glad i seen this i was just done out of 35 euro by the very same scam i did a history check 2!! My god i would have considered myself an intelligent woman up untill now, Cant believe i nearly fell for it!! was going to book flights to Liverpool tomorrow!!! thankgod i didnt!!

Louise im so glad i seen this i was just done out of 35 euro by the very same scam i did a history check 2!! My god i would have considered myself an intelligent woman up untill now, Cant believe i nearly fell for it!! was going to book flights to Liverpool tomorrow!!! thankgod i didnt!!

Lisaoc I am so glad you saw this and didn't proceed with the sale! I was shocked I nearly fell for it also considering I would be skeptical about online purchases! I was told by the Gardai that many people have actually fallen for this scam. Spread the word and warn people to stay away from those online advertising sites and Western Union transfers! Good luck finding a new car :)

Louise, did you or the Gardai contact the real seller of the car to advise them their ad was cloned. Or has it been ascertained that is exactly what happenend in this case.

MandaC, I believe the Gardai have contacted the real seller. I couldn't find the real sellers ad so I don't have her number to advise her. If you have seen the real ad with a mobile number then send me a link and I will contact them in case the Gardai haven't. Thank you!

It's unfair to blame Western Union for their part in all this - It's a scam. And the scam only works because the scammer cons you to give them all the details of the WU Transaction. The scammer would not be able to get money from WU if they didn't have the MTCN and other details of the transaction.

It's a bit like giving someone your credit card details and then blaming the bank.......

This is another one I've discovered on carzone. I have reported the post as I received a similar email to the OP. Carzone would really want to do something about these adverts. They are becoming a bit too much now. But it is easy to see how someone can be very easily taken in by them.

Thanks for the info Louise eve. I was was wondering how this scam worked. i also emailed the seller and received the exact same email.
Pitty though...it was a nice car

Hey Louise,

Ur lucky with that - I totally fell for it but actually misunderstood 'Amanda' and only transferred 200 eur thinking thats all she wanted as a deposit:) She totally had a freaker and asked me to transfer the rest straight away and thats when I definitely knew it was a scam...well that and the fact that i enquired about an 05 Beetle and got an email 4m a guy who's brother had died and the car was his!!

It's pretty serious as some poor unfortunate is probably gonna get caught!!
Hope they see this 1st !
Thx 4 de post !

Just wondering if anyone heard or purchased a car from norsurtrading.com? ..or is that a bloody scam too?

I have just received this email into my inbox. Can someone in the know here please forward this onto the guards so theses fraudsters can be caught.

TOYOTA ONLINE PROMOTIONS UK.

This is to inform you that have been selected for a Cash Prize of 600,000.00.GBP,
and a brand new (TOYOTA HIGHLANDER 2008 MODEL) with Ref No: TOL459024 and
Batch No:7983523 in the International programs held this OCTOBER, 2008 in London,
United Kingdom.

To begin the processing of your Prize, you are to contact our Claims Officer through
our accredited Prize Transfer Department as stated below:

Contact Details
Mr. Terry David
Email: [email protected]
Tel.: +44 704 57 26 372

CLAIMS VERIFICATION FORM.
FULLNAME: ..............
AGE/SEX:...........................
ADDRESS:....................
PHONE NUMBER:...........
E-MAIL ADDRESS:...............
REF NUMBER:...................
BATCH NUMBER:................

Our winners are assured of the utmost standards of confidentiality and
press anonymity until the end of proceedings and beyond where they so desire.

Congratulation on behalf of Toyota Group UK.

Carl Perkins,
Online Co-ordinator.

Yes, there is another car on carzone with the same scam at the moment. The car is an audi a3 quoted as 4500 & 5000 euro and licence plate is 04KY3766 and the contact point is Sonya Cudden. There is also a phone number 087 2606015. beware

Back