Online Car Scam

mathepac is trying to make out this girl is a "dimwit" just because she nearly got caught out by this scam.....plenty of people are taken in..or nearly taken in by these scams, at least she was big enough to admit it and post it up here to stop anyone else getting caught out.
ok clubman..rant over!
mathepac never used the term "dimwit" or any other offensive term like it. You could at least read people's posts carefully and quote them accurately if you're going to rant about them.

mathepac never used the term "dimwit" or any other offensive term like it. You could at least read people's posts carefully and quote them accurately if you're going to rant about them.
he may not have used the word "dimwit" but thats what he was employing.

For a scam to work you only need two people, a scammer and a scamee who jumps at a "once-in-a-life-time" , "too-good-to-be-true" bargain.

I wouldn't call it a once in a life time or too good to be ture bargain! You do realise its a buyers market with a recession bearing down on Ireland and the U.K.

Anyways like I said I posted to help people, not to be criticised by someone who gets satisfaction out of belittling people.

Anyways like I said I posted to help people, not to be criticised by someone who gets satisfaction out of belittling people.
I can't see how mathepac belittled you. If you are so sensitive to feedback that you don't like then perhaps you should not have posted your experience on a public discussion forum?

Louise-eve, WELL DONE for realising the scam. And thank you for posting the emails, I think it will be very useful for people who read this thread.

I am currently trying to sell my car and being inundated with scammers - to the point where I scared off a potential buyer with my agressive questioning, because I thought they may have been trying to scam me!

It is very difficult to realise who is genuine sometimes.

Same old same old.

I can't believe you got caught for 212 squids with all the information there is on here (and elsewhere) about this scam, all of it detailed word for word.

In all fairness, that's a bit like suggesting if we had no roads there would be no road-traffic accidents.

For a scam to work you only need two people, a scammer and a scamee who jumps at a "once-in-a-life-time" , "too-good-to-be-true" bargain.

Well after reading that anyone would feel a bit belittled no? Well maybe not in your opinion but I did and I wouldn't call myself that sensitive for feeling like that and like I said I posted on a public forum so the public would be aware of this particular scam.

Louise-eve, WELL DONE for realising the scam. And thank you for posting the emails, I think it will be very useful for people who read this thread.

I am currently trying to sell my car and being inundated with scammers - to the point where I scared off a potential buyer with my agressive questioning, because I thought they may have been trying to scam me!

It is very difficult to realise who is genuine sometimes.

Thank you :) And I agree it can be difficult to realise who is genuine. Good luck with selling your car! If its a Mini One let me know haha...

Do any of the car websites actually try to do anything about this?

I spotted this one [broken link removed]
last week, emailed about the car in the knowledge it was bound to be a scam (I like to mess with these people's heads a bit) got a replica of the reply given in this post and reported it to carzone but it's still there a week later.
You'd imagine it would be in their interest to stamp this kind of thing out? Or at least make it obvious to users what the latest scam involves?

Do any of the car websites actually try to do anything about this?

I spotted this one [broken link removed]
last week, emailed about the car in the knowledge it was bound to be a scam (I like to mess with these people's heads a bit) got a replica of the reply given in this post and reported it to carzone but it's still there a week later.
You'd imagine it would be in their interest to stamp this kind of thing out? Or at least make it obvious to users what the latest scam involves?

I also reported the ads to carzone and autotraders and they are still there! I forwarded the e-mails to the crime prevention department of the Gardai too because I do believe it is possible to catch these scammers.

Fair play Louise-eve on posting your experience, ignore Clubman, he's like that with everyone. When did you report the ads to carzone and autotrader? Be interesting to see how long it takes for them to take down the ads or get back to you as, like 900TS said, you would expect it to be in their best interests to prevent this type of activity on their own sites.

Same old same old.

I can't believe you got caught for 212 squids with all the information there is on here (and elsewhere) about this scam, all of it detailed word for word.

In all fairness, that's a bit like suggesting if we had no roads there would be no road-traffic accidents.

i just had a tought..if everyone in the world was as clever and well informed as ""mathepac" nobody would ever fall for these scams,
the upside would a world free from scams! the downside would be a world full of I TOLD YOU SO, Know it alls.

Fair play Louise-eve on posting your experience, ignore Clubman, he's like that with everyone. When did you report the ads to carzone and autotrader? Be interesting to see how long it takes for them to take down the ads or get back to you as, like 900TS said, you would expect it to be in their best interests to prevent this type of activity on their own sites.

Thanks Ceist Beag :) I contacted them yesterday morning, I am very curious to know how long it will take them to remove the ads! And exactly, It should be in their best interest to prevent this because if it keeps happening then less and less people will avail of their service!

Louise - I say fair play to you for taking the time to post....I've heard about these scam, but I didn't realise how personalised they would make the responses.

You coped on in time and didn't get caught too badly, whereas, the fact they advertise so heavily must mean plenty of people do get caught.

For whats it's worth, I saw mathepacs answer and figured he was implying your werte stupid to have gone so far down the road with it.

Can't believe the car website let this go on so much as it would put me off advertising with them....I got scammers mailing me when I advertised my car almost 3 years ago.

Thank you Sam :) Ya there must be people being caught out since they have to pay for the advertising and they must pay to get the information about the cars from those motorcheck sites too. I'm really curious to know how many people have been caught out and have actually travelled to Liverpool or wherever.

If anyone has been a victim of this scam or any other scam for that matter you should post a comment or thread to spread the awareness!

Back