Not rip-off Ireland

ClubMan

Bought a pack of 8 greeting cards in Marks & Spencer's yesterday originally priced at GBP£3 (c. €4.53) but charged locally at €4.

See me, I did not go out to the pub so I did not get ripped off for €4.45 a pint!!! No rip off here.

Steve said:
Fantastic. We are all saved. lol

No - just one small example of how we are not necessarily being ripped off in particular by inflated conversion of Sterling to € prices in the Irish outlets of UK chains. I'm sure that there are others that others might like to post here.

Markjbloggs said:
See me, I did not go out to the pub so I did not get ripped off for €4.45 a pint!!! No rip off here.

That's the spirit. Don't pay the price if you think it's a rip-off. Certainly don't pay it and then afterwards moan that it was a rip-off. If you do want to go to the pub then you can get pints for a lot less than €4.45 even in Dublin city centre.

Bought a muffin in BB's Dundrum Town Centre recently for €1.75. A similar muffin in BB's Newry cost £1.40. If €1 = approx 67p stg, then that muffin in Dundrum should have cost me at least €2.09.

Keep going lads, we're building momentum.

When we get 5 accounts of such good fortune we will send a petition to Enda Kenny.

To shout the benefits of shopping around.....

Looking at a particular table and 6 chairs for a new apartment. €2300 in shop in Sandyford. €1700, and free delivery to Dublin, from shop in Ballina in Mayo.

My new trick for avoiding roi then (new because of step 4).

1. Find product you like in any shop in Dublin.
2. Price from them, and bargain down as much as possible.
3. Get details from them.
4. Call/e-mail/fax manufacturer (or distributor), and ask for list of all shops selling product in Ireland.
5. Ring random ones around the country and see if they will do you a better price.

For my new apartment, this has now worked on tables and chairs above (save €600), a bed (save €125), and wooden floors (save €450).

I actually saved around €500 buying the same table and chairs from a furniture store in the city centre versus buying it in Dublin 24, believe it or not.

More and more, I find myself going for the 'Beer of the Month' on special in city centre pubs. The stuff in the taps over here is generally p**s anyway.

ClubMan, I'm sure if you pointed out this price discrepancy to M&S they would be quick to correct it:) . If you are familiar with the Pricewatch column in the Irish Times on a Friday, British multiples (M&S and Claires are the most common I reckon) are often caught out for overpricing in € vs. £ for the same own brand goods and will quickly adjust the prices to nearer the official exchange rate.

CCOVICH said:
I actually saved around €500 buying the same table and chairs from a furniture store in the city centre versus buying it in Dublin 24, believe it or not.

Found the same experience, and would have saved up to €400 if I'd kept it within Dublin area. Sandyford vs Ballymount.

And all it takes are a few phone calls.

ronan_d_john said:
To shout the benefits of shopping around.....

Looking at a particular table and 6 chairs for a new apartment. €2300 in shop in Sandyford. €1700, and free delivery to Dublin, from shop in Ballina in Mayo.
Galway has a pretty competitive furniture market nowadays, I recommend you try EZ Living and Curleys and InStore which does lovely stuff and good sales .

If the van is full or fairly full then OF COURSE they will ship to Dublin as part of the deal. Its even cheaper if you drive down some weekend in a van to collect all the stuff. Sales start next week or so.

I was in a reids shop in Dublin once . Frankly I laughed out loud at the prices the Dubs are prepared to pay for furniture.

Agree with the looking outside Dublin. Got a matress from a shop in Kilkenny delivered free to Dublin. Worked out about 15% cheaper. I guess their overheads are higher in Dublin though so I don't know if it's always fair to say that they're ripping us off.

If you want to save a few quid on buying a car in the UK, the revenue have a VRT calculator. I found it a bit messy to use but it does work. Was online-window shopping for a car and based on the price+VRT returned I would save 4k on the car I was looking at if I bought it in antrim and brought it down.

Re: prices the Dubs are prepared to pay for furniture

You should see the mark-up on furniture sourced in places like Brodericks (N. Clare). They used to supply BT at one point, I remember seeing a nice 3+2+1 suite priced up by 200% for BT's January 'sale'! :eek:

Vote with your feet...

car said:
If you want to save a few quid on buying a car in the UK
If it has 6000 Miles (10000km) on the clock you may save even more. As FAR as I know it is only liable for VRT down here but not VAT on top .

Re: prices the Dubs are prepared to pay for furniture

DrMoriarty said:
You should see the mark-up on furniture sourced in places like Brodericks (N. Clare). They used to supply BT at one point, I remember seeing a nice 3+2+1 suite priced up by 200% for BT's January 'sale'! :eek:

Vote with your feet...

My folks bought direct off Brodericks and the wait was quite long, don't know if they supply retailers more quickly (either way it doesn't justify 200%).

I'm sure Brodericks et al know which side their bread is buttered on, and they probably prioritise supplying their big retailers over the average Joe Soap.

But, given a choice between paying €1,500 and €4,500 for the same gear - would you not rent a trailer and feckin' drive down and collect the stuff? ;)

Where exactly is Brodericks? Fancy a little ferry trip coming on across the Shannon!

I always like to give this lot (Irish Trading Company) a plug whenever value and customer service are the topic. I bought a large bed for several hundred cheaper than anywhere else in Dublin (extensive search) and after a couple of months it developed a crack in the foot and was replaced within 5 days. A couple of months later the headboard started to come out of its groves, again replaced within a few days. Unfortunately the headboard problem repeated itself and we decided that enough was enough and that it was money back time, within a week the bed wa taken away and the money was returned. The reason I quote this example is that you can tell more about a company by how they deal with you when there's problems and I've bought other items that were fine so this was obviously a one-off with the product which can happen. This compares very favourably with the unbelievable amount of hassle over a period of months I had with Reids when the covers on a suite faded.

I have also found Irish Trading Company to be a fantastic company to deal with. Thankfully we have had no problems with the items purchased from them.

Back