No Rent, Bills and Mute Tenants

The law is bias against the LL and pro tenant in general. So you have to be careful how you do things.

Quote "The law is bias against the LL and pro tenant in general. So you have to be careful how you do things. " Quote

Totally agree with AlbacoreA, make sure all your I's are dotted.

Facetious

Can you indicate where "it is the law" that the LL must pay for utilities for tenants when those same tenants refuse to do so.

As soon as a tenant moves in I contact the relevant utility companies and tell them to bill me up to such-and-such a date and meter reading, after which date I'm not paying.
The tenants can choose which utility company they prefer and act accordingly.

Is that -really - not lawful ?
The problem is that the OP did not transfer the utilities into the tenants' name. Therefore, he is liable for the bills to the utility companies. There is nothing stopping the landlord from billing the tenants for the same bills as, a decently worded lease will say that the tenants are responsible for these costs, whether transferred or not.

However, getting the money from a tenant who is not even paying the rent may be difficult especially as they seem to be trying to claim rent on the SW.

Mathepac -what post do you mean on boards.ie ?

I haven't read it but I'd need a lot of convincing that the law is not biased towards the tenant.
Even this thread here is another example of how tenants can avoid paying and yet the LL has to tread so carefully to avoid upsetting the. The tenants here are stealing and yet the victim of their theft can do nothing except go thru a long winded process.
And, as I've often said on this threads, even if the LL "wins" a case aginst the thieving tenants actually getting monies owed is nigh on impossible.

As regards utiltiies -it would be madness for the LL to continue paying and asking these tenants to pay him/her. The utility bill must be closed now otherwise these tenants could b costing hundreds of euros more per month.

mathepac -what post do you mean on boards.ie ?

I haven't read it but i'd need a lot of convincing that the law is not biased towards the tenant.
Even this thread here is another example of how tenants can avoid paying and yet the ll has to tread so carefully to avoid upsetting the. The tenants here are stealing and yet the victim of their theft can do nothing except go thru a long winded process.
And, as i've often said on this threads, even if the ll "wins" a case aginst the thieving tenants actually getting monies owed is nigh on impossible.

As regards utiltiies -it would be madness for the ll to continue paying and asking these tenants to pay him/her. The utility bill must be closed now otherwise these tenants could b costing hundreds of euros more per month.

+1

I cannot understand why the OP hasn't already transferred the utilities into the tenant's name. At least try to mitigate the losses.

I cannot understand why the OP hasn't already transferred the utilities into the tenant's name. At least try to mitigate the losses.

It should be impossible for someone else (LL) to put a bill in another's (tenant) name. Only the person themselves (tenant) can do that.

That said the utility companies have a get out clause about transferring debts between accounts where it becomes unpaid. "If you have an account with us at other premises, we may transfer any credit or debt between your accounts"

LL should be wary that tenants debts aren't transferred to the LL accounts.

Back