No refund for flight delay

Henning G

Hello,

Our Aer Lingus flight from Dublin to Frankfurt was delayed by about 9 hours two weeks ago. Basically the aircraft developed a technical fault one hour into the flight and returned to Dublin , we waited for a number of hours back in Dublin airport before departing again on a different aircraft. The total flight dealy was about 9 hours. Me and my wife missed an important event (son graduation ceremony and dinner). I asked for a refund according to the European Regulation 261/2004 but it was refused on the ground that it was a problem outside of control of the airline. A year and half ago I had a similar experience with Ryanair: a delay where a flight back to Dublin from Paris departed many hours after the due time (something like 8-9 hours), because of issues with an engine. I applied for a refund and I was wired 600€ after a few days. I wonder if there are different rules for Aer Lingus ?

Thanks
Henneing

I would definitely re-apply. I was similarly compensated for a Ryanair flight that had a technical fault resulting in a 3.5 hour delay. Initially, when I replied I was refused as the airline tried to say the flight had landed within three hours of it's scheduled arrival time. My friend who was on the same flight also applied and was paid compensation at the first attempt. There seems to be some inconsistency in how the regulation is applied. Contact the Irish Aviation Authority (iaa.ie) as they are the National Enforcement Body for ED 261/2004

Back