No one else knows or cares about Northern Ireland

Was it Neil Blaney (spent the morning racking my brains for that name and it only came to me now) when he was still in FF proper?

As Tommy points out above, 'twas Johnny Wilson, the then Minister for Foreign Affairs

To quote daltonr in the ASB thread:

A Different Country, and Democratically speaking a Basket case, so I'm not worried.

Arrogant little man, he dismisses a nation with a sniff. But we aren't going away, y'know.

Sorry if I mis-understood Marie's comment -

As far as Irish life, culture and politics are concerned people here know very little and care less. There is a general increasing fed-up-ness of Brits with life here and they look to Europe - rarely to Ireland - to relocate.
but isn't that because of the climate just like the Irish with their pads on the Costa del......?

BTW ClubMan, isn't Mullagh in Co.Cavan or is it Co. Mayo? And why wouldn't that English couple be confused with "London" tacked on to Derry?

I didn't know about John Wilson's gaff. Wasn't he the Minister of Education once and an ex school teacher? Maybe geography is off the curriculum just like english which seems to have been replaced by Americanese or phoney accents like "the dort". Tis far from the "dort" their parents were reared! Wilson's error was nothing compared to John Bruton's nauseating and ingratiating speech made in Dublin Castle when he welcomed Prince Charles to Ireland about ten years ago.

And the Brits were always our highest spending tourists compared to the Yanks. Now with rip-off Ireland who can blame them for going elsewhere. Just like ourselves.

At the Old Vic in London recently (to see Kevin Spacey in a Play) I met an English couple who were visiting Ireland soon and were very interested to hear about Friel's new play. So I do not agree that all Brits have no interest in our culture.

"The majority" up the road have an identity crisis. They do not want to be Irish but they are not English either. Loyal to the Queen's shilling, King Billy, and little else. But good business people and when we finally settle our differences, the whole island will benefit. That day can't come soon enough.

8)

Yep, it will be a funny sight to see when the British people finally tire of the 'Royal Family' and their horseplay (which they are fast doing at present) and decide to abolish the monarchy.

What will the poor Loyalists have to be loyal to then?
The Half-Crown perhaps (as ever).

Johnny Wilson's 'Ulsterman' reference wasn't a gaffe. Wilson was and remains a big Cavan GAA supporter. All Cavan GAA people (and you could almost say all Cavan people full stop) definitely have a strong affinity towards Ulster and an awareness of being Ulster people if there is such a thing. Btw, Monaghan and Donegal people have similar characteristics. Witness the exodus from all other Ulster counties whenever the likes of Derry or Down are playing a big Championship game in Croke Park (not only finals). The same never happens in other provinces. (In 1998, A few weeks after Galway won Connacht's first football All Ireland in 32 years, a certain John Maughan then (and now) Mayo manager was quoted as saying that he more or less didn't give a damn about Galway's win as "Galway never cheered us on when we played in finals".

The Ulster identity thing seems to be one of the peculiar oddities of Irish existence that transcends politics, culture and other circumstances. Its hard to explain...

The Ulster identity thing seems to be one of the peculiar oddities of Irish existence that transcends politics, culture and other circumstances. Its hard to explain...

These sorts of regional affinities are normally explained by it "all being a conspiracy by that lot up there in Dublin" in my experience... ;)

Today when I was peering our my study window, trying to see if the sparrows were being skinned alive by the piercing wind and snow-blizzard, a thought came about 'the Irish Question'........which living here is of course the Irish-English question raised by Purple at his hurt at what felt like lack of knowledge and interest.

We should DANCE for the English!

This could be the answer! I remember reading that when The Ulster Chiefs went to see Elizabeth (I, not the current one) in London circa 1600 Elizabeth was so enthusiastic about 'Irish habits' that the entire Court was an ongoing ceidhli for months.

When I first came to London a black friend invited me to a big 'do' at a posh London hotel. It was an annual event where the former-Colonies invited English people to evenings where their original and/or evolving culture, lifestyle, preoccupations, music etc. were shared with the former Colonials.

The evening had a strange quality. The ex-colonised were very centred in their own experiences and activities; there was nothing confrontative, no finger-jabbing, no verbalisations of 'you enslaved my people' etc. It was a very powerful experience.

The point is made by the post about the English couple who were interested in the Brian Freil play. I've brought artist friends to 'the northern part of Ireland' (and I can't even remember myself which side of the wretched line the township was) to visit other friends who were artists and to look at their studios.

Some of the most interesting people I meet here these days are headed westwards........to work with the children of 'the Troubles' or just to live and breath in a spectacularly beautiful place.

We need something simpler and more profound than words. The words seem to keep getting in the way.

An analyst friend in Dublin was involved some years ago (through Stephen Mennel in Trinity College) with a project akin to what I do here with groups (called Social Dreaming). In the Irish project the 'dream matrix' brought together disparate groups. Difficult to describe without going into much technical detail but the things that came out of these 'dream matrices' - which evoke the old Irish oral tradition - produced so much insight, healing and wisdom.

special situation of Northern Ireland

.........but what I meant to say was - that as Britain comes to terms with the present and its diminished role on the world stage, the Colonial days far off in the past, and Ireland comes to terms with its radically-changed present, 'Northern Ireland' - that uneasy amalgam of the two traditions - has perhaps a uniquely-difficult but highly-important role to play in bringing these islands into the 21st century world.

ireland and europe

Must just get this last one in - have noticed your point, Sherib, wondering if Ireland is less or more euro-centric than England. I've found the English deeply dislike the French and truly can't understand their way of thinking and reasoning.

The English still hold deep resentment against contemporary Germans for 'the war'.

The Italians are too fast for them so don't figure on the radar.

The Dutch supply the flowers and tomatoes and speak English so they're OK.

Spain is an English holiday-resort where English is spoken and chips and lager consumed but it's sunny.......so no probs there.

The former-Balkan states were known about only by an educated elite until recently, now they, too, are becoming a fave holiday place.

Greece...........the English love.......sun, sand and sangria.

Thinking about it perhaps the sun-worshipping traits of these dwellers of a windswept cold misty little island in the Atlantic are the explanation for the colonies (which apart from Ireland were all nice sunny places with laid-back lifestyles).

MUST go and walk doggie!

Re: ireland and europe

My wife was confirming a booking, by phone, for a hotel in New York about 3 years ago. She gave her adress to the hotel receptionist or booking agent. When she gave her address as "Ireland", the woman replied "What is Ireland?"

What is Ireland?

Did you say Areland or Eyerland?

I've met many Americans who know you can't drive to Ireland but are confused by the former prononciation.

Re: What is Ireland?

I've always wondered why Hawaii has an interstate highway.

Back