No one else knows or cares about Northern Ireland

P

purple

I was on a plane from Dublin to Derry/Londonderry the other day and an English couple in the seats in front of me asked the Scottish air-hostess (or whatever the PC title is) if Derry was in Northern or southern Ireland (their words). The reply from the cabin crew was; "I don't know, hee hee."
I thought it was interesting how what is a big issue for us on this island is of very little real interest or relevance to the average Joe soaps from our nearest neighbor.

Purple - I empathise with that! Today I had the usual hackney'd exchange in a post-office whilst sending a letter to Dublin by the 'Signed-For' service.

Postie: "Oh......is it going to NORTHERN Ireland or SOUTHERN Ireland"?
Me: "It's going to Ireland! It's just one island. The address is in Dublin"
Postie: "Oh well then.........that's INTERNATIONAL POSTAGE if they're in the E.U. (consults colleague "Is Ireland in the EU?.....it is isn't it!)

As far as Irish life, culture and politics are concerned people here know very little and care less. There is a general increasing fed-up-ness of Brits with life here and they look to Europe - rarely to Ireland - to relocate.

Purple - I empathise with that! Today I had the usual hackney'd exchange in a post-office whilst sending a letter to Dublin by the 'Signed-For' service.

Postie: "Oh......is it going to NORTHERN Ireland or SOUTHERN Ireland"?

Somebody I know was asked the same question by some official or other and he replied eastern Ireland which caused some consternation/confusion.

Hi there, too late to be at this but it strikes me we don't do as much navel gazing as they do over there....or maybe we do? We've no empire to lament anyway. Not so sure about them being more European and us. Very little evidence to support that proposal.

Personally I have no problem with educated citizens of the UK. Have always thought we have more in common with them than those of mainland Europe. As for the rest, if they don't know the geography of these islands, who cares? In a way I don't blame them being resentful, if they are, since the separated part of our country costs the UK taxpayers for the upkeep of their dominion and with little return - except the undying loyalty of the current majority. Just don't ask me to be grateful. I didn't invite them to my party! Better not go there.

Re the postage. Doesn't do to be too sensitive - the cost of a stamp, posting within Ireland, (not sure about to Northern Ire), is 48 cents while it is 60 cents to post to the UK. So the reverse must apply.

8)

I was in a shop in Blanchardstown and shop assistants talking to eack other "Where is Tullamore" answer "its in the midddle somewhere, Galway I think" !!!!!

I was in a shop in Blanchardstown and shop assistants talking to eack other "Where is Tullamore" answer "its in the midddle somewhere, Galway I think" !!!!!

:) That is something I will never understand! Do they not teach Geography in primary school in Dublin. Seriously, even some of my so called "intelligent" friends with big hot shot jobs, that are from Dublin, would not have a clue where say Clonmel is, apart from "It's down the country somewhere".

They dont seem to have a clue about towns that are outside of a twenty mile range of O'Connell St

Personally I have no problem with educated citizens of the UK. Have always thought we have more in common with them than those of mainland Europe.
Have to agree with you here! Most of the 'nasty' neighbours are actually genuine decent folk who are very easy to get on with!
Some people are good at geography and others not so good! Thats the beauty of Life! We're all different!

I have met several Irish people over the years who didn't have a clue where Cavan is. I know of many people who were afraid at various stages to come to Cavan as they thought it was in the North. I once sat in Croke Park at an All Ireland Club Final beside a guy from Tipperary who didn't know where Castlebar is. (The Castlebar team were actually playing there at the time!)

In this context, the very fact that we accuse British people of "navel gazing" when they display ignorance of the geography of OUR country, is imho itself a sign of our own insularity and self-centredness. Honestly, how many Irish people could point out Stockport on a map? Or Canterbury? Or Stonehenge? Or Southend?

> I have met several Irish people over the years who didn't have a clue where Cavan is

In fairness, maybe they were just trying to block it out of their minds. I know I do :)

A friend of mine who worked for An Post swears that in his time in the sorting office, he came across more than one letter from the UK destined for Kerry which had the address tampered with to say "Londonkerry".

Not so sure about them being more European and us. Very little evidence to support that proposal.

Marie never proposed that theory. She just suggested that they look to Europe rather than Ireland to relocate.

I have met several Irish people over the years who didn't have a clue where Cavan is. I know of many people who were afraid at various stages to come to Cavan as they thought it was in the North.

Try explaining to some people that Cavan is in Ulster but is not in Northern Ireland! Been there (both the place and the discussion!). Now hands up who knows where Mullagh (the mother in law's birthplace) is, and a wooden spoon (or, most likely, some more lethal form of weapon) for those who says it's in Meath! :)

Table quiz question for y'all now:

Which FF minister once commented in advance of the Dublin government's first official meeting with the leader of the DUP, that "It's always a pleasure to meet with a fellow Ulsterman"?

Afaik, John P Wilson said something to that effect at some stage...

Not even Unison can get their geography right. Following is a link to their weather forecast page:
www.unison.ie/weather/
On the little map on the right, click on Waterford. You are presented with a weather report for Rosslare, Co. Waterford.

Back