New House Wish List

All I want is a light in the attic oh and an outside tap would be great for watering the plants!!

you can cut back a bit on the phone points.............the future is wireless !

ufh everywhere
walk-in's everywhere
pantry - halve's the no of kitchen units (and price)
double, double size utility - to dry clothes in
double garage - on the house, not detached
loads of windows/natural light
small garden ;)
big site :confused:
don't-go-mad-with-lots-of-ensuites
fewer rooms, but bigger (3 beds, 4 max)
solar
windmill (I kid you not........1kW one would keep your water warm.......)
outside socketS
rainwater tank
cctv security - in and outside......

more, if I think of them.

I'd imagine that some people went to great lengths to wire their houses for PCs etc. (as was the fashion for high-end homes just a couple of years back). Now everyone uses WiFi.

wow, now there's a generalisation that couldn't be more wrong..what about all the people with distributed audio/video systems..you ever try to distribute video over wifi?
also, what about home automation systems? most require a wired network, not wireless..

becuase people with 1 pc and dsl may be able to use wireless for simple web browsing, wiring houses for proper networking is still a must for some people

wow, now there's a generalisation that couldn't be more wrong..what about all the people with distributed audio/video systems..you ever try to distribute video over wifi?
also, what about home automation systems? most require a wired network, not wireless..

becuase people with 1 pc and dsl may be able to use wireless for simple web browsing, wiring houses for proper networking is still a must for some people

I think you're missing the point, which is the rapid obsolescense of much technology. You'll probably find that the cabling you installed five years ago for your state-of-the-art PCs isn't suitable for the current trend of wiring for audio and video. I'd be amazed if audio and video weren't all wireless within the next couple of years: the technolgy's already there, it just hasn't hit the domestic market yet.

No problem cabling your home for whatever's the current fad, but just don't expect it to be a long-term investment.

BTW: I speak as someone who works in technology, but is a complete luddite when it comes to applying it at home.

no i think you are. For every increase in wireless bandwidth the size of video files being transferred gets increased. when 802.11g came along, everyone was happy cause this (sometimes!) had the bandwidth to stream dvd content wirelessly. then hd came along and now most 802.11g networks are struggling again. Pre-n routers are around, but that spec is still up in the air..

the only network that has outpaced video demands is wired. A house wired now with enough cat6 will support gigabit and more networks. How long willl it take for wireless to have acceptable levels of quality at gigabit speeds? Also, given the multistrand nature of Cat6 cable it can be used for a lot more than just networking. Wireless may be useful, but i'd bet over at least the next 10 years wired networks in a home will outperform it. that's long enough for me to have installed it in my new house only a few months ago, along with a wireless network

BTW, you're not the only one that works in technology

Whatever makes you happy, mossym!

As I said, I'm something of a luddite when it comes to stuff at home: I'm happy enough to wait for the dust to settle on a technology before ploughing too much cash into it.

I take your point that wiring is not subject to change as much, and that it probably will remain ahead of the game over wireless, but even it is not immune to change (e.g. would you have put in cat6 two or three years ago? what if you'd gone co-ax? cat5?)

co-ax? for tv maybe. still did for tv..

as for cat 6, probably not, but for disdtances in a house cat5e which has been around for a while would likely handle gigabit.

just reckon it is very bad advice to someone who is building a new house to tell them not to wire for anetwork. They are at the one stage where that can be done for next to no cost or effort. trying wirless and finding out QOS is not enough leaves you hosed...that's all

sorry if i came across a bit seriously..

co-ax? for tv maybe. still did for tv..

as for cat 6, probably not, but for disdtances in a house cat5e which has been around for a while would likely handle gigabit.

just reckon it is very bad advice to someone who is building a new house to tell them not to wire for anetwork. They are at the one stage where that can be done for next to no cost or effort. trying wirless and finding out QOS is not enough leaves you hosed...that's all

sorry if i came across a bit seriously..

Er, what advice to tell anyone not to wire?

All I said was to consider the possibility of obsolescence:

<QUOTE: No problem cabling your home for whatever's the current fad, but just don't expect it to be a long-term investment. END QUOTE>

Now, I think we've hijacked this particular thread long enough!

[broken link removed]

A blimp tether on top and sure a few extra floors wouldnt go amiss ;)

In reply to Supermans suggestion to put all waste outlet pipes internal as they look ugly, I think you will find it a lot worse when (not if) a seal goes in a few years and you have to go tearing of plasterboard & tiles & trying to find the source! Then if one does leak you will have to scrub the whole place get rid of the "aroma". Its a typical architects detail to hide the pipes like this but builders (well many I have dealt with) would be against it. It may not be atractive but the heartache it can cause if something fails would not make it worth it. New pipes etc. will have all the guarantees and that but they cant ensure that the pipes are jointed correctly at the time or that they arent punctured by a stray screw in the wall!

Trash compactor anyone? very american i know, but thought crossed my mind to save space with all my recycling, bats.

I've never ironed for my other half, but when I did my own ironing or the kids I just put the ironing board in the living room and watched a soap on the TV. Would hate to have a room just for ironing - more like a torture chamber. Now neither of us iron as the housekeeper does it.

Re ensuites, prefer the main bedroom to have a large bath, separate shower and double sink and the room to be a decent size. Also a bidet is ideal for washing feet, shaving, letting young kids wash their hands etc. Can't understand the craze in Ireland for teeny weeney ensuites where you can't even dry yourself. The sink has a full width mirror but I put an extra mirror on the wall for hubby and he finds it much easier to shave this way as he's standing directly at the mirror.

Also hate utilities attached to kitchens with the back door being the access to the outside and everyone comes through here rather than the front door and the room is a laundry tip, and stores all the rubbish as well plus coats and shoes. Have even seen some that have a fridge in it and others where you have to go through this generally horrible room to get to the downstairs loo. We don't have a tumble dryer but if I did I'd put the utility/washing machine upstairs - much more logical.

Walk in wardrooms a must for me as is a walkin hot press that has a radiatior in it as nowadays the boilers are so well insulated that they give off no heat.

Re wifi, tv sockets, cabling - it's difficult enough to try and connect up all the bits and pieces so now we just have the TV in the living room, the kids are never going to have TV in their rooms and we have a small combi TV/DVD player in our bedroom which we move where necessary and with no complications. Things are getting worse not better, the DVD recorder is a nightmare and apparently those flat screen TV's take a few moments to channel hop - I'm sticking with the cathod ray tube for a long time yet:)

Heat Recovery Ventilation
( Provides good quality air circulation and cuts down on heating bills)

Back