New House Wish List

Re: Wish List for New House

Two small things:
I'd try to ensure that waste pipes, soil vent pipes etc. are internal rather than external - they are just ugly. (Ensure that if they are internal, that they are reasonably accessible though.

Also avoid having footpaths all around the house - if you look at houses in the States, for example, they usually would have lawns and gardens against the walls. (Just watch out for piling extra soil against the wall in future and breaching the D.P.C.).

If you have no saddle boards sound would transmit far easier between rooms

No, you can get hinges for the doors that basically lift the door a fraction when opening and fit the door back snuggly when closed. They are handy for rooms that have thick carpets ... easier than planing the bottom of the door.

I hear ya but for wooden floors sound will still run along the continious plane.

I would have a shower for wheelchair use - u know one that u dont have to step into, just a sloped tiled floor. My Mom broke her leg last year and getting in and out of the shower was so difficult, I would now view it as a necessity in any house....

A few of mine that I can think of:

-Heat recovery unit
-Socket for where I intend Christmas tree to be - no extension cables needed!
-Outside speakers - for dining/partying outside!
-Laundry chute in upstairs bathroom to laundry room/utility room downstairs
- Sockets in floor near couch for surround sound

Skylight in the ceiling of upstairs landing. Gives extra light in addition to existing windows.

Two dishwashers......remove dishes from clean one - eat meal - return dishes to dirty one - when dirty one full turn it on, wash and start over.
:)

Two dishwashers......remove dishes from clean one - eat meal - return dishes to dirty one - when dirty one full turn it on, wash and start over.
:)

You'd probably also need to double the size of your kitchen's storage for all the extra cutlery and crockery you'd need for this to work too!

Just something for the wish List.I recently saw a docking station at the side of a Garage for a Robotic Lawnmover.Lawn mower charges for one hour and cuts for one hour all summer.A small cable pass from a regular socket in the garage through the wall would do the trick. The docking station sits flat on the lawn.

In the middle of self build. Some of the items on our wish list that we went through with were

laundry chute from en suite upstairs to utility
solar panels for DHW
Internal vacuum system
air to air heating system
put in cat 5 for intercom for gates if we have the money at the end!!
external sockets outside

during site preparation, provide undeground ducting to all corners of your site to allow for cabling of gardebn lights, power to shed etc
Window seats
decent porch for coats and boots etc
a couple of rooms that provide privacy from other family members, well soundproofed, only one door. butressed off the side of the house is one way to do this. Sometimes either parent wants to get away and work or relax.
Bigger is not always better. A huge expanse of tiling in a bathroom or kitchen is ugly and cold.
Video intercom
south facing balcony
smalll LCD TV or normal use. Projector for films
I don't like too many bathrooms. too much to clean.
my house is designed with a guest bedroom like a hotel room with ensuite but I don't want an ensuite in my bedroom because the noises are unpleasant to listen to for either spouse.

I don't want an ensuite in my bedroom because the noises are unpleasant to listen to for either spouse.

I think an ensuite is extremely handy - who wants to be dashing out to the landing / public corridor etc

Besides , if the spouse does not know what sounds their partners makes ...

I agree on some of the other points though. However,re "provide undeground ducting to all corners of your site to allow for cabling of gardebn lights" etc, I think in years to come it may be viewed as wasteful and environmentally vulgar to waste energy ( often powered by precious fossil fuels ) on unnecessary outdoor lighting

You'd probably also need to double the size of your kitchen's storage for all the extra cutlery and crockery you'd need for this to work too!

I would have said the opposite - you'd need less storage for crockery because at any given timell the plates will either be in the clean dishwasher, the diry dishwasher or being used - never actually stored in a press.

Light inside kitchen presses and wardrobes when you open the door
Light under kitchen presses - above work surface
Underfloor heating
Sound insulation between rooms and floors
Front door opening outwards
Vents in all rooms beside window, with a washable filter and and with a little insulated door which can close properly on stormy days
Mixer taps
Two sinks in kitchen - one for dirty dishes - one for peeling potato

Front door opening outwards

An outward opening door is less secure, hinges may be accessible/ more vulnerable and it's a lot more difficult to slam the door shut in someone's face (unwanted caller?)!!

... and it's a lot more difficult to slam the door shut in someone's face (unwanted caller?)!!

Not to mention hitting a welcome caller who doesn't expect the door to open outwards.

How about an underground safe such as the one available below:

[broken link removed]

I'm not sure exactly how they're fitted but I would assume that you could pour your concrete subfloor over the top of them and have the top of the blue cylinder on the picture flush with your floor. Good luck to anyone trying to get that outta the ground :p

Jack and jill style are good idea i think - i.e two access to the ensuite that is one en suite btwn two rooms I mean houses with 5-6 toilets???? Are they really necesary?

How about an underground safe such as the one available below:

[broken link removed]

I'm not sure exactly how they're fitted but I would assume that you could pour your concrete subfloor over the top of them and have the top of the blue cylinder on the picture flush with your floor. Good luck to anyone trying to get that outta the ground :p

ya must have a lot to mind there ronaldo given that you are looking at one of those ;)

ya must have a lot to mind there ronaldo given that you are looking at one of those ;)

lol, far from it - haven't even moved outta the parents house yet but i reckon they're a good idea for when you're building your house.... after all, I wouldn't want my future wife finding me gold!!! :D

Back