Neighbours alarm going off since 5pm yesterday...

Bob the slob

I need to get this turned off, its driving me insane. Not the first time it has happened either. I think she might be away.

How can I get this sorted?

I think the gardaí can take action if necessary. A bit drastic though.

Does it say who the alarm company is on the external box or anything? Might be worth trying them first.

Might be a bit drastic but what if she is gone away for two weeks? Have left a message with the management company to call me.

Its so annoying!!

The Gardai will do nothing. It happened me last year, and was going on for 4 days and nights before anything happened. And it took several neighbours repeatedly phoning the management company to track down the owners of the apartment before anything was done. Then the owner came along quite late on a Saturday night, reset the alarm and left, and not 20 minutes later it was off again. Thus ensued another round of calls to the management company. Eventually someone suggested calling the fire brigade but they would break in unless there was danger of a fire.

There was nothing could be done bar the management company track down the owner again.

Its so annoying!!

The Gardai will do nothing.

Not necessarily - at least not in my experience.

After a few days when the owner could not be contacted the gardaí bascially broke in and cut the wires.

I don't know the exact details and sequence of events but this definitely happened.

If you have access to their electricity feed (outside meter/switch fuse unit etc.) then you can turn off power and wait 24/36 hours for internal battery to run down. I have done this in the past in similar circumstances.

If they have a freezer full of food I suppose they won't be too pleased on their return:)

But people have to sleep!!

Not the first time it has happened either. How can I get this sorted?

I think you should have sorted it last time it happened. A note in the door or a polite word in the ear.

1. Get your alarm serviced.
2. Leave a key with a neighbour.
3. Leave a "contact" number of a keyholder.
4. Give details of how long the alarm was ringing.

New legislation is to be passed on this issue.
Noisy neighbours to be fined

source: [broken link removed]

Marion

Gardai have no athority to enter property and cut the wires to the alarm. If they do they are causing damage and are liable to costs to repair. There is some legislation in the pipeline to change this. Until then ear plugs. :(

You can make a complaint to the local authority over noise pollution, this is ridiculous, I would go absolutely crazy if I had to listen to this racket for longer than 10 minutes not alone for 24 hours.

More info [broken link removed]

If you have access to their electricity feed (outside meter/switch fuse unit etc.) then you can turn off power and wait 24/36 hours for internal battery to run down. I have done this in the past in similar circumstances.

If they have a freezer full of food I suppose they won't be too pleased on their return:)

But people have to sleep!!

I've done the same.

Being obliged to endure a loud alarm for an extended period is something citizens of a free country should not have to endure. Some of these ridiculous alarms appear to advertise an empty house to the local friendly criminals, while alienating neighbours who could provide security by their alert watchfulness.

I spent a few days in bed last year with a slipped disc and a 3 month old baby beside me with the neighbours alarm going off all day. . . ..it's not just able bodied people getting annoyed by it, it's people confined in their homes in bad health for some reason who really are tortured by it.

I just think it's part and parcel of the lack of thought that's gone into general quality of life for ordinary people in this country.

House alarms are a menace, it should be illegal to inflict this noise on one's neighbours. I seem to remember the Greens proposing some sort of Noise Bill back in 2006, but I don't know what came of it.

Where I live, there is anything between 1 and 3 a day of alarms (usually those screamer ones) ringing unattended. The neighbours used to check if everything was ok but no-one bothers now.

My next door neighbours went away for a week, leaving the alarm on and the cat in the house (someone came to feed it daily). Cat set the ear-piercing alarm off several times a night. They never apologised for the inconvenience. Someone in the house gets up about 6.30 am and sets the alarm off briefly a couple of days every week. One of the family works in the area of environmental health, wouldn't you think they'd cop on a bit?!

This is one of the many consequences that nowadays neighbours do not know each other and probably have no inter action at all. Sad state of affairs!

I got my alarm serviced few months back and was told by alarm company that it is now illegal for external alarm to run longer than 30mins so he reduced alarm time on my unit

One of the neighbours went off last xmas from 24th dec to 29th... it was going constantly,. they got some earful when they returned!!.. and it wasnt the alarm...although in fairness they did go around to every house in the estate and personnally apologise..which not many would do

I think service costs are issue for some,,, my last service cost 125euro and he was in and out in approx 20mins..problem with lose cable in the internal panel setting off the alarm even though the alarm was not set

I got my alarm serviced few months back and was told by alarm company that it is now illegal for external alarm to run longer than 30mins so he reduced alarm time on my unit

Hi chlipps,

You may get them back to do it properly as 15 minutes is the max time for an external plus internal bell to be activating.

Hi alt1...where is the 15mins defined?...let me know and I will get the alarm chap back and he can fix for free as 30mins limit was something he harped on about...not paying him again for something he should correctly know. Thanks

Hi alt1...where is the 15mins defined?...let me know and I will get the alarm chap back and he can fix for free as 30mins limit was something he harped on about...not paying him again for something he should correctly know. Thanks

It is in the EN50131 standards. Dont know what standards he is working too :)

Back