NCT tests backlogs getting longer

Friend of mine is in exactly the same situation as Bronco Lane. Rang in early December, earliest date in March and the was in a centre 50kms away! It's a total nonsense. In the UK perfectly good and honest garages can be appointed to do the MOT (NCT) without all this hassle. The online systems are a nonsense, yet even the AA seem to think it is not a problem, if listening to their spokesman before Christmas is anything to go by.

the UK perfectly good and honest garages can be appointed to do the MOT (NCT) without all this hassle.

That system has a lot of issues we don't have to contend with, from fake centres issuing forged certs, to unscrupulous garages failing cars on tyres or brakes that should pass.

My NCT is up 22nd January. I went online and the Greenhills Rd facility has no availability until March. I rang on Monday, couldn't get an answer. So sent an email - no reply (Ive always booked via email). Next day rang again, no answer, tried again in afternoon, got through! No apts until March. They asked for my number and email, and said they would ring me back if they got a cancellation. I queried the issue with Penalty points, and asked could they give me a statement indicating they could not provide me with an apt - in case I got stopped. Advised that they would not do that - and advised me that they would not recommend I drive without a valid NCT. I will ring back again, and email to show that I am making every effort to participate in the system in place.

I have moved all the tips about how to get one quickly to this Key Post:

What is the quickest way to get an NCT?

Prompted by this thread, I input my car reg into the NCT system. That told me that my NCT is due in May. I booked a test for late April in a centre and at a time to suit myself.

They have confirmed to me by text and by email.

When you find the date your NCT is due and you don't want to book a test yet, you can input your email address to get a reminder.

Brendan

Why did you wait until 2 weeks before your expiry?
My NCT is up 22nd January. I went online and the Greenhills Rd facility has no availability until March. I rang on Monday, couldn't get an answer. So sent an email - no reply (Ive always booked via email). Next day rang again, no answer, tried again in afternoon, got through! No apts until March. They asked for my number and email, and said they would ring me back if they got a cancellation. I queried the issue with Penalty points, and asked could they give me a statement indicating they could not provide me with an apt - in case I got stopped. Advised that they would not do that - and advised me that they would not recommend I drive without a valid NCT. I will ring back again, and email to show that I am making every effort to participate in the system in place.

something of a relief to see that the gardai are "taking a common sense approach"....

It's just a shame to think we can't take a "common sense approach" to solving the problem permanently, either open more NCT centres or else make the ones that are open, into 24/7 facilities.

It's just a shame to think we can't take a "common sense approach" to solving the problem permanently, either open more NCT centres or else make the ones that are open, into 24/7 facilities.

Splitting the year into 2 plates should help down the line. There won't be the huge surge in demand to satisfy the volume of cars that were sold in Jan/Feb previously. Up until that was introduced, as many cars were sold in January as there were in the final 5 or 6 months of the year. If NCT capacity was built-out to handle the January volumes easily, then we'd be paying a lot more for the NCT, and they'd be very, very quiet for a lot of the year.

Back