National Speed Limit - Solution

A few weeks back I was overtaking at about 60mph. The car behind me moved into my space. The car I was overtaking decided to put the foot down while the car coming against me was closing in. I was able to accelerate out of trouble. For me, a car with a bit of poke is important. Both for what I mentioned and for passing out a slow moving vehicle on a road with few long stretches.
fantastic feeling as you clip that other vehicle and hurtle into space,i bet all of you were speeding.

I don't speed - I never have and I never would - I don't own a powerful car but for me the matter would be one of principle.

If I happened to want to buy a high performance car with all that goes with it, I would strongly object to the governement interfering with the functions of my own, perefectly legal vehicle - and I'm sure many others would too.
how about a handgun

how about a handgun

:confused: What are you talking about?

It is not legal for me to own a handgun (never mind a loaded one) if that's what you're saying.

It is legal for me to own a 500+ bhp car capable of 300+ kph.

That's the difference.

Fair enough - not the point though. This tangent all started from:

It's like giving everyone who wants one a loaded gun, as long as they promise not to use it.

...which is obviously a melodramatic and inaccurate comparison.

I'd be wary of further invasion of privacy with regards to electronic monitoring equipment in my car. This is just the thin end of the wedge and we are going to see more of this in the future. Remember the tracker system the insurance companies trialled a few years ago? Thats what it was, a trial.
Re: speeding, i don't. I have slowed down a lot in the last few years and now arrive at work relaxed and only a few minutes more than if i was gunning it and overtaking all the time. My commute is 50km. Other benefits of slowing down include: less wear on tires clutches brakes etc, less fuel burned (5.5L/100k down to 3.5L/100k), more money saved all round! And i can avoid accidents much easier. It makes complete sense and i will never go back to the bad old days constantly watching for the guards and worrying if i'm speeding or not.

ollie

Back