National Speed Limit - Solution

TwoWheels

Ok, so we all know the maximum speed limit within Ireland is 120Kmh.
Therefore there should never be a car travelling over this speed on Irish roads.

We know the technology is there to limit engines to a certain speed, (All coaches & trucks have this limiter installed already)

So why not limit every private car witha speed limiter set at 120Kmh.
This will reduce deaths & reduce accidents. Why do we need high powered cars capibale of 300Kmh + as unless they are on a private track, they should never do this.

Or is it just another way of making money with speeding fines ?

Presumably its safer to have the ability to go above the speed limit when overtaking, for example. If there's someone in front doing 90k, it would still take a long time to pass them out by doing 100k. Maybe limit them to 150 or 160k. Ministerial cars exempt, naturally!

Its would be very unpopular. Thats why.

Also the problem isn't speed. Its dangerous driving. If it was purely speed the motorways would be the most dangrous roads and they aren't. The only way it would work would be if you had a GPS that limited the speed everywhere based on limits AND driving conditions at that time. Still won't stop people making geniune mistakes and/or delberate bad driving. Also no system is perfect.

It is worth noting that the recommended speed of the German autobahn is 130 km/h (81 mph), but there is no general speed limit. I agree with AlbacoreA about dangerous driving (as opposed to speeding) and would not agree with any "speed limiter" on our cars.

Whilst the autobahns have, in theory, no speed limits you should bear in mind that if you are involved in an accident above the general 130km/h limit or the reduced dynamic limit in rain or fog you will be held at least partially responsible as a matter of course. Your insurance may not pay out on your claim.

A personal view is that it won't be long before speed limiters are widespread in cars with, for example, punitive insurance rates if you choose not to have one. Given the abysmal nature of much driving in Ireland this can't come too soon in many ways.

SSE

If anyone introduces this I'm leaving
And I know of a good few others that will follow.

As mentioned above the problem is dangerous driving - not a max speed.
Most accidents happen on Local roads which have a limit of 80 km/hr
Puting a limit of 120/130 on cars will not keep people within the limits on these roads.

So what next? A GPS based system that changes car speed based on what road it's on?
Or how about we build little rails on the road and attach the cars to them so they cannot hit a ditch or be on the wrong side of the road.
Then we'll all follow each other around like sheep at the same speed on the roads??...

I know there are several causes of accidents,but one that I thought may be a runner,although very difficult to implement.
Get rid of any music in young drivers cars!
Yes I know its an odd one,but honestly when I see young drivers booting around the place,they always have music blaring and I think it encourages them to speed.
The reason I think this is the case is that,I read a report about supermarkets a while back and aparently they use music to alter the customers shopping,I understand that fast music makes people move/shop faster,and if the music is slow they are more inclined to saunter.Ive listened when in my local supermarket and I do think the slower the music the more relaxed I am,and therfore the longer I will stay.
How to implement this would be the question.
Does anyone agree that it has an effect on driving,I know when I drive and have fast /loud music on ,I definitly go faster..

Not me! I have loud music on, but am well able to control my speed. Do you get influenced so easily a lot?! Voices from the tv!? Music doesn't control you - you do.

I know there are several causes of accidents,but one that I thought may be a runner,although very difficult to implement.
Get rid of any music in young drivers cars!
Yes I know its an odd one,but honestly when I see young drivers booting around the place,they always have music blaring and I think it encourages them to speed.
The reason I think this is the case is that,I read a report about supermarkets a while back and aparently they use music to alter the customers shopping,I understand that fast music makes people move/shop faster,and if the music is slow they are more inclined to saunter.Ive listened when in my local supermarket and I do think the slower the music the more relaxed I am,and therfore the longer I will stay.
How to implement this would be the question.
Does anyone agree that it has an effect on driving,I know when I drive and have fast /loud music on ,I definitly go faster..

I see dead people..........................

The problem is speed and dangerous driving they go hand in hand,the great drivers who break the speed limits are only great drivers in their own minds.People who drive within the speed limits think of the fast great drivers as total idiots.These are the fools in the ditches,crashed into each other on motorways and killing children in urban areas.

This will reduce deaths & reduce accidents. Why do we need high powered cars capibale of 300Kmh + as unless they are on a private track, they should never do this.

Because cars with high bhp & torque are also capable of very fast acceleration.

A Honda Civic type R driver doing close to 250 kph is obviously illegal on Irish roads, but there is nothing to stop him accelerating from 0 -100kph in 8 seconds or so. People are allowed to accelerate very quickly - but generally you need high powered cars for that.

Ok, so we all know the maximum speed limit within Ireland is 120Kmh.
Therefore there should never be a car travelling over this speed on Irish roads.

We know the technology is there to limit engines to a certain speed, (All coaches & trucks have this limiter installed already)

Or is it just another way of making money with speeding fines ?

But an crash can happen at much lower speeds. The amount of people killed on back roads is just crazy. Very few on motorways and national roads.

Driving training is the key for me.

Who knows? Not me, but you are allowed to is my only point - there is no law against it.

True, i used to have a golf and the touque in it was amazing. In second and third it was as fast as anything on the road. Yet at top speed it wasn't considered fast.

why would you need to accelerate so fast?
A few weeks back I was overtaking at about 60mph. The car behind me moved into my space. The car I was overtaking decided to put the foot down while the car coming against me was closing in. I was able to accelerate out of trouble. For me, a car with a bit of poke is important. Both for what I mentioned and for passing out a slow moving vehicle on a road with few long stretches.

Back