Moved from UK to ROI, can debt follow me?

Bailiffs from the UK have no authority in Ireland. They will eventually past the matter to some Irish solicitors instead.

Blackireland, I agree noone was judging you, they merely asked why not repay it? I'm not sure of your reasons not to repay it if you owe it and could afford to. You seem to think you're owed some debt amnesty because of staying at home to be a Mom? Childcare in Dundrum is irrelevant to the question of whether you should dodge the debt. Why not tell them you don't work but will repay a tenner a week back to them and come to an agreement. And don't come to a public forum to ask for advice if you are going to get annoyed at the advice or questions people have to be honest.

Your husband is employed. You have a debt. Be a decent and moral human being and repay it. The fact you have a child is totally irrelevant. Sorry to be so blunt but you asked for advice and that is what I would recommend.

Hi Blackireland,

I understand and empathize with you. I was in a similar situation 5/6 years ago, the answer is if they manage to get an address for you in Ireland...well...you will have to pay it back. I had to deal with a Debt Collection Agency in the UK so for the sake of my sanity I had to take out a loan from here to pay them as the hassle was just too much. In hindsight, if you have to deal with a debt collection agency only offer what you can afford and you are quite within your rights to do that. There are awful dodgey bullies (debt collectors) in the UK and will try everything to extract as much money from you in one go as possible as they are on commission.
Take care.

Am just curious as to how i should proceed.

Why are you getting so angry? You asked how to proceed, and were advised by a number of posters to proceed by paying the debt. Nobody cares about your background or history, you owe money and must pay it. Simple.

If you run up a debt here are you going to run away and hide somewhere else?

Quote: Moral Ethos.

"You sound like a solicitor that tried that line on a debtor in court only to be held in contempt by the judge. A spouses income cannot be taken into account in the calculation of means to pay a debt".

-------------------------------------------------------

Likewise, "Frequent Poster", likewise.

BlackIreland, as far as I can make out, no-one was judging you in the way you think but sometimes even a person of integrity has to give some background - there are a lot of people posting on this website who are totally out to screw the system in any way they can, expect advice as to how to do it more, and for people to join in with them in laughing at the poor sods that actually do the right thing when they can.
Nothing against this website (I love you, askaboutmoney!) but these type of posters make the rest of us wary, especially in present economic times with so many of us in difficulties.
With regard to your loan I do think the Bailiffs will catch up with you eventually, and that you are still legally liable for the amount owing. If you do decide to sort it out in the future try www.mabs.ie, if you send them an email query they should be able to give you some manageable options.

Well said. A much welcomed post on this site. There are also a lot of "Frequent Posters" only too happy to attack and embarrase posters who express the alternative point of view, but they will always be there. Look forward to hearing more "Honest" posts from you.

OP asked for advice. Then got annoyed because people did not say what she wanted to hear.

There are so many people out there who would love to be in a position to repay their debts but cannot. I feel sorry for those people.

I guess it is down to the individual at the end of the day. If some bill arrived at my Mam's house, it would just be handed to me to pay. It would just not be tolerated that I had "done a bunk", no matter what age I am. If my mam thought I was in financial trouble, I would be helped, but if not, I would be told to pay it.

Maybe the OP could get a weekend or evening job and save to pay off her debt when her husband is at home and could look after the childcare.

To be honest I'd pay it off - offer them what you can afford per week or per month and see how that goes. At least then you are making an effort to repay it.

Aside from the moral debate of whether you 'should' repay it - do you really want to be looking over your shoulder all the time in the next few years? While they cannot currently go after you over here if they get an Irish address for you then they can and realistically how hard will it be for them to find an Irish address especially if they outsourced the debt to an Irish company.

you borrowed the money, you spent the money!!! the person who should pay this debt is...you!!

why should someone else be left out of pocket because you cant do the legal and morally correct thing and pay it back??? running from debt and not paying it back when you obviously could aford to do so is spineless. (your husband has a good job and im sure you could aford €10 aweek)

i hope they do catch up with you

Pay it back. You borrowed it, you spent it, and now it seems all youre worried about is 'will I get away with this'. Its a disgusting attitude to be honest.

Childcare in Dundrum, Dublin (for those of you who do not know) is approx €1200 pcm for a reputable organisation that i would feel happy leaving my 6 month old daughter with. It is therefore not a financially viable option for me to return to work.

I would also like to add that neither myself nor my husband have ever claimed benefits of any nature, and are not out to 'play the system'.

Please think very carefully before judging the users of this site, who are simply asking for advice in these difficult times!

It looks like the OP is paying 1200 a month childcare, while being at home full time herself, and at the same time is not paying off her UK debts. It does not make sense.

My advice is stop childcare and pay off debts first.

It looks like the OP is paying 1200 a month childcare, while being at home full time herself, and at the same time is not paying off her UK debts. It does not make sense.

My advice is stop childcare and pay off debts first.

I think you're missing her point Billo - she said childcare would cost her 1200 a month IF she went back to work! The OP is basically saying it wouldn't pay her to go back to work fulltime if she has to pay those creche fee's! Saying that everyone else has to bear these expenses and pay back loans so there's really no excuse! If you borrow money, you pay it back end of story. OP - you need to contact these institutions you owe money to and work out a payment plan. I'm sure they'ld appreciate even €10 a week then nothing at all!

LOL yee are all out of touch with reality. There is no way a bank would accept €10 a week.

OP, go back to the UK and declare bankruptcy.

These debt collectors in the UK buy bulk debts and pay peanuts for them. If it was me, I would ask them, to prove that you own the debt. How do you know that it has been sold on to them? There has been case in the UK that these dreadful people have chased for a debt and in the end caused a woman to commit suicide, this was a pensioner about 2 years ago. She only owed a couple of hundred and they claimed that she owed thousands.

Also, these dreadful people could be doing a fishing trip therefore you should not give them any information. If the persist and you want to get them off your back they should provide you with a true copy signed copy of the agreement that they claimed that they have purchased also the terms and conditions has to be correct on that copy of Agreement. Some debt collectors make these agreements up be careful and check that it is correct your signature, if you write to them do not sign the letter as they have also been know to forge signaures, just print your name.

Just think, if someone asked you for money that you owed you would question how come they owned the debt now, and if they claimed that they purchased the debt then you would want to see the agreement they claimed that they have purchased therefore given them authority to collect the debt they say you own them now

l look up some more information on this and get back.

Also of course no bank will accept 10 euros a week but the court will accept what you can pay and that can be one euro a month.

OP asked for advice. Then got annoyed because people did not say what she wanted to hear.)

+1
What did you really want to hear BlackIreland?
You have got (mostly) very good advice on this thread from many sensible posters.
What is your attitude now that you have had many responses to the advice YOU asked for?
You are an educated person....use your logic! ;)

Back