Moved from UK to ROI, can debt follow me?

I will not be using the site again. Many thanks to those who provided positive and constructive comments!

Does anybody read full threads anymore?

Above was posted by OP nearly TWO months ago.

Don't think there is much point in offering any more advice or posing questions to her at this stage.

If the OP had written, “I went to a car dealership in the UK to test drive a car worth £4’000 and stole it. I now have it in a lock-up in Ireland. Can anyone advise the best way to move it on for cash?” it would, in effect, be no different to what she posted.

If people post here asking how they can get away with stealing and/or defrauding then they might not like the answers they get. If so tough.

On the other hand, if some wrote to you saying that you owed them money that you did not borrowed this money from them. They expect you to take their word that they now own this debt. Would you pay them without proof that they really did buy the dept without seeing the agreement that was made the real lender to prove that that they did indeed own/buy the debt? Would you pay up without questioning it, I know I would not...

On the other hand, if some wrote to you saying that you owed them money that you did not borrowed this money from them. They expect you to take their word that they now own this debt. Would you pay them without proof that they really did buy the dept without seeing the agreement that was made the real lender to prove that that they did indeed own/buy the debt? Would you pay up without questioning it, I know I would not...
Of course you'd need proof but what's that got to do with it?

I lived in the UK for 24 years, from birth. I ran up some student debt at university, like many! I paid off some loans and credit cards while i lived in the UK, but now live in the Republic of Ireland and have done since 2007. I am now a housewife.

My last payment off these loans etc was back in 2007. Can i be 'chased' to the ROI for them, they would total approx £4000 from various lenders.

A letter arrived at my mothers house (in the UK) addressed to me a few weeks ago from Apex Credit Management telling me they had checked with 3 credit reference agencies and knew that i still lived at that address (eventhough I havent since 2002).

Am just curious as to how i should proceed.

I was under the impression that it was not from the lender it was from Apex Credit Management not the original lender. therefore I was advising to get proof that these people have ownership of the debt as they known to be disreputable organization. Therefore it is to do with not been conned by these people.

I was under the impression that it was not from the lender it was from Apex Credit Management not the original lender. therefore I was advising to get proof that these people have ownership of the debt as they known to be disreputable organization. Therefore it is to do with not been conned by these people.

Fair enough, point taken. I was writing about the OP getting upset because other posters suggested that they should pay what they owe.

Uk debt can follow you to Ireland. First you will get the usual letters from the UK debt collection agencies, then from the UK solicitors (if they have your IRL address). If they get no joy with that and if it is worth chasing they will pass it onto an Irish solicitor who deals with this type of debt and given you live in the EU all they have to do is apply to the Irish Courts for a European Judgement Order and then the UK debt is enforced in Ireland.With a EJO they usual avenue will be followed, Court Judgement and the Sheriff

Back