Mount Oval (Cork City, near Rochestown /Douglas)

montagne

Hello

The only other thread I could find about this development is over a year old so I'm starting a new one.

I am currently bidding on a house in Mount Oval and as I have no experince what so ever of living in Cork, can anyone tell me about the area? I really like Douglas but this place has also caught my eye.

I have had a look at other houses built by the same builder and they all look great. The house is in great condition, and the area seems nice (of course) but my real worry is noise. 7 years of apartment living has worn away my last shred of tolerence of neighbour noise.

Thanks
M

Re: Mount Oval

Mount Oval is a nice development but distance from major amenities (apart from convenience store, pharmacy etc) could be an issue. You will need to have access to a car as public transport is intermittent at best. The rochestown road area is a serious traffic blackspot in the mornings (what area isn't these days:))

Thanks for that. There is a bus stop at the bottom of the hill, so i'll have a look at the service in Rochestown. I have a car but i wont need it for work thank God.

traffic is horrible there. pub is nice and it is that bit far out from Douglas. all in all i would say i think the houses are overpriced.

What is the price range of the house that you are looking at ?

Im happy with the price of it thanks 892896. Im moving from Dublin and morning traffic wont affect me so that's not really an issue. Great to hear the pub is nice though!

Hmmm..
Mt Oval is most definitely regarded as a des res.However do not underestimate the traffic problems on Rochestown Rd.I know a couple of people living there who are trying to relocate because of traffic.Very expensive.I would say look to city side of Douglas(& no I don't have a house for sale in that area!)

What are the names of some areas on the city side of Douglas Johnnyboy?

Very Evasive there with regard to the Price !!, the reason I asked was that maybe I could offer an alternative park etc for the same money !!

Regarding the other areas of the same "status"!
I would look at Ballintemple, Ballinlough and also areas of Douglas near say the secondary boys school. have a wee drive round and also look up the map on myhome and look at areas town side of Douglas such as:
http://www.myhome.iesearchproperty.aspid=317049&np=&rt=search&searchlist=

[broken link removed]

these houses will be older but that bit more spacious and you could afford to gut and refurb to your tastes with the difference of the price of Mt. Oval prices. There is a second Mt Oval development happening i believe.

The reataurant over the pub in MO "Mrs Dees" is wonderful for a bit of shteak too!

Thanks for those Nelly, but they are both more expensive than the house I’m looking at. Regarding “status” I didn’t know there was one in relation to the area until I found this forum. I will have a look at more of those areas that you mentioned.

PS, the main reason the house I am bidding on is so attractive is because the house is built "hall to hall" with next door, hopefully reducing noise.

yes i know there are some nice people living up there but there are certainly a good few who just had to be seen to have a residence there IYKWIM..If it suits you feck the begrudgers however there is no town transport service up there so if your car packs up you are a fair walk up the hill with the shopping!
the other houses closer to town come with their own traffic type problems but if you use the map thing you can get an idea of prices and areas but all in all driving round and seeing what has a sign outside is your only man.

Ah yes, that hill. I is haunting me even now and the house isn't mine yet! Thanks again for the advice.

Hi Montagne
I can understand the attraction of Douglas,having gone to school there & I now work there.Any of the parks off the main Douglas Rd,or Ballinlough eg Ardfallen/Ardmahon,Eglantine etc-probably very expensive as well,but for me no contest with the Rochestown Rd & in particular Clarkes Hill(name of the hill I think leading to Mt Oval.
If ur not fixed on Douglas,try Ballintemple,Blackrock.Blackrock has a beautiful area overlooking the Lee.Currently it's a bit depressed in terms of shops,pubs etc,but it has massive potential.

Traffic from Mount Oval is meant to be shocking (a mate lives there). If I were you I'd drive upto M-O and leave there for where you work at 8am some morning and see how you get on....

But as I said, the traffic in the morning isn't an issue for me. Thanks for the recommendations on other areas in that end of the city. Im viewing two more houses tomorrow evening.

i drive thru Mount oval when i'm coming back from work , there is a cut off of the main link road which is very handy , way faster coming this way , than taking the exit off rochestown road, as the roundabout there gets very congested

The area there is very exclusive,and prices to match but it does seem a nice area

U do need a car to get around from there and yes the traffic is bad in the morning esp the rochestown road , the buses that pass that way are the ones coming from Monkstown /Ringaskiddy

there does seem to be alot of families there so long term prob nice place to be,
and garryduff is a sports center nearby , when u come out of the estate and go Right its just up there at the junction (pitch & put, Tennis,Hockey etc if you are into it )
The bus service is 'nt the best as u have to go down to the rochestown road end to get the Bus
But there is a douglas newsletter that comes in the door and there is talks of another Bus service starting up going along rochestown road ,douglas up maryborough hil , hopefully that will start soon !

i live in Maryborough Hill lisadell (not as posh or new as where you are planning )but the Area is a nice area
Mt oval if you can afford it is worth going for

Welcome to Cork!

Thanks for the info Jane. So Im an accidental snob. ;) The fact that there are so many families on the estate is a huge draw for me as I would see myself in the house for at least ten years.

Im totally nervous about moving to Cork, I know no one there at all. But my man is from the city and I really want to get out of Dublin city so fingers crossed! Roll on September!

Dear Montagne,
I've been enjoying this exchange.
There's an old saying : "there's no snob like a Cork snob". I'm partly from Cork stock myself but was born and grew up in Dublin. Moved back to Ireland last year after years overseas and I love Cork and the county. Hope you will enjoy it too.

Joke: a man is injured in Montenotte and neighbours come running out to see what's happened. The man mother's starts shouting: "someone call an ambulance, my son the doctor has been hurt". :D

(PS I've never understood why Montenotte has the reputation it does since it's next door to Mayfield AND north of the river!)

Back