Motor Tax Bands

the question i'd like answered and i'm sure it won't be is what happens if you buy a new diesel car yet run the car on biodiesel? presumably the excise exemption for biodiesel will continue but you're paying motor tax based on the presumption that you will use 'normal' diesel even though you'll use non-carbon products to power your vehicle. it's the opposite of polluter pays. the fairest system would be to just increase substantially the excise on petrol and diesel.

the fairest system would be to just increase substantially the excise on petrol and diesel.

Absolutely agree. Simple and common sense, don't know why they don't do it that way... probably because it wouldn't have made hardcore rich-hating elements in green party happy :) (j/k)

I nearly pooped myself when I saw this and then spent a half hour finding out the emissions on the 2 family cars

3 yrs old Astra 1.8 auto - would have been €1000 (now €480)
5 yrs old Zafira 1.8 auto - would have been €1000 (now €480)

While I appreciate the spirit in which this carbon tax is being intorduced, one has to question something like a 1.8 auto Zafira costing €1000 to tax annually. Thats a standard family car, and something of a necessity in our house with a large young family. In fact, this tax is fundamentally anti family, as is the pay by weight bin charge, both of which discriminate against people with large families ( and before you greens all jump on me, I know...polluter pays etc....)

All I can say is, thank Jaysus it only applies to new cars, otherwise I'd be in be in even more doodoo than I'm already in.

I nearly pooped myself when I saw this and then spent a half hour finding out the emissions on the 2 family cars
Same! My 2.0L Saab would've fallen in €2000 per annum band!!!!
How do we know they don't apply it to older car in future?

Any why is it gradual and then suddenly steps up!??! i.e. shouldn't be difference between 225g/km and 500g/km? It just doesn't make sense!

It will definitely increase sales of Diesel cars.
My 1.9L Turbo Diesel is in band B. Under the current system (with new 9.5% rise) I pay nearly €600, under the new system it will be only €150.

A move to boost the coffers in the latter half of 2008 perhaps...get lots of people buying new diesels....

Thats a standard family car, and something of a necessity in our house with a large young family. In fact, this tax is fundamentally anti family,

Is it?

I don't know anything about the emission levels of cars (only looked into the emissions on my own car yesterday, after the budget). But is it possible to get similar family cars with much lower emission levels?

Absolutely agree. Simple and common sense, don't know why they don't do it that way... probably because it wouldn't have made hardcore rich-hating elements in green party happy :) (j/k)
the impact on inflation and competitiveness is the reason it hasn't been brought in, i'm sure the AA or SIMI probably have figures that would show that 10c on the litre adds x to the inflation rate.

Ahh...I didn't know the details of Minister Green's announcement - does anyone have a link to the specifics of the scheme? Is this new motor tax regime instead of the existing motor tax payment or in addition to it?

Moving towards a more CO2 emissions related motor tax system

The Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government, in line with a commitment in the Programme for Government, wishes to provide an incentive through the motor tax system for the motoring public to drive cleaner cars. It is proposed to introduce a system under which C02 emission ratings for individual vehicles will, in addition to the normal engine cc value, be used for the calculation of motor tax in respect of any new or pre owned imported vehicle, registered in this country on or after 1 January, 2008, taxed within the ‘Private Car’ motor tax class and at each subsequent taxing.

Cars which are registered prior to 1 January, 2008 will continue to be taxed in accordance with current arrangements and C02 ratings will not apply to these vehicles.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if how often you use the car affects the tax? I have a 16 year old 3 litre car and while I cant find details on emissions online, I'm sure it will be high. However, the thing is that I only use the car occassionally (only 2000 miles so far this year) if that is taken into account then great!

Thanks

Does anyone know if how often you use the car affects the tax? I have a 16 year old 3 litre car and while I cant find details on emissions online, I'm sure it will be high. However, the thing is that I only use the car occassionally (only 2000 miles so far this year) if that is taken into account then great!

Thanks

Amount of usage is irrelevant.

Thanks
The new system will not apply to cars reg before jan 08..
My reading of it would be that your tax will go up 11%

Two posters above have mentioned January 08 as the date from which the new emission-based car tax begins for newly registered cars. However, on the RTE report (linked earlier in the thread) and elsewhere, it's not being implemented until July 08.

What is the rationale for not applying the new annual taxation rate to existing cars from next July 1st? When we were buying a car in 2005 we chose an Octavia 1.9TDi on the basis of its C02 emissions, 140 g/km. It was reasonable to expect that Ireland would eventually realise about global warming and follow the UK system. Since then we have paid €511 per year in expectation that we would be paying less when the govt greened-up a bit. Now instead of paying €150 from next July on, it seems that we will have to pay €560. Are there plans for a phased application of the new tax to existing cars over future years?

hi everyone

Im importing a rover mini cooper from japan and its on the the high seas now and will arrive on the 27th dec, i have tried to get to co2 rate on the site above but said its not available, does anyone know what i will pay, it is a 1275 engine 1995 manual trans

hi everyone

Im importing a rover mini cooper from japan and its on the the high seas now and will arrive on the 27th dec, i have tried to get to co2 rate on the site above but said its not available, does anyone know what i will pay, it is a 1275 engine 1995 manual trans

the co2 emmisions will only be used for cars purchased after jul 08? you should probably tax it asap

What is the rationale for not applying the new annual taxation rate to existing cars from next July 1st?

they can't influence decisions people have already made, so the hope is the new regulations will influence people's behavious for future car purchases.

Last edited:
Two posters above have mentioned January 08 as the date from which the new emission-based car tax begins for newly registered cars. However, on the RTE report (linked earlier in the thread) and elsewhere, it's not being implemented until July 08.

It would seem that the info is from the budget departments web page.
Under the budget 2007 documents listed it shows details of the proposed change in road tax.
This was in fact published in dec 2006.

http://www.budget.gov.ie/2007/default.html

The actual changes are not as clear in the 2007 documents which will come into force in 2008.
http://www.budget.gov.ie/

Last edited:
Only newly registered cars.

see rte site

"The Minister said these new car tax rates will apply only to new cars and to cars being registered for the first time in the Republic.
Existing cars will continue to be taxed on the present system, which is based on engine sizes"

is this cars bought from july or those bought from here on in?

Back