Motor Tax Bands

Here's a link to the story [broken link removed]

To answer my question:
Under one such amendment, post-January 1st car purchasers will be able to "opt in" for the new lower motor taxes, but they are unlikely to be able to get a refund on any taxes already paid.

Yeah any more info on this?
I bought a car at the start of this month and taxed it.
If I waited till July the tax would be lower..
Does Mr Gormless plan on giving me a refund?

It appears that your Motor Tax will be lower but if you paid the current rip-off VRT you will be out of pocket e.g.

If you thought you were doing the environmentally friendly thing and bought a low emission Diesel 1.9TDI like a Skoda Octavia etc prior to July your VRT would have being at 25%

After July it will reduce to 16%, there should be a reduction in the price of the car of approx 2.5K

Some favour? I hope the electorate will treat the Green party in the next election with the same level of contempt as they have treated the public

Ah I think I'm ok, Just checked it out
My motor tax only went down by €67 but my car went up in VRT

I'm trying to find a link to an actual announcement by Gormley but I can't find one.

Has this backdating of tax been confirmed and does anyone have a link to something a bit more solid than the IT article?

Also, does anyone know about the possibility, also reported in the Irish Times (yesterday), that the new emmisions based regime won't apply after all to imported 2nd hand cars after July?

If it's true, it would make a lot of sense. Having said that, I guess it's unlikely to be true in that case, on thinking about it......

Note this anouncement relates only to Road tax. The new emissions VRT system will still apply as described in the budget.

If you bring in a pre-08 car from the UK after July 1, you pay VRT under the emissions system and road tax under the engine size system.

http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/News/MainBody,16861,en.htm

From that link, it shows us that imports wont avail of the new ommision based car tax.
It say nothing about vrt on imports though. Is there anywhere that shows imports pre july08 can avail of this ommision based vrt as well as irish sales. The car tax is a surprise. Is the VRT another one.

Looks like they will screw this around to continue to screw the motorist as much as possible.

I think we are going to have to wait for July to see what happens. I bet the lads in Leinster house don't know 100%

Everybody concerned about this issue should write to the Minister of the Environment and to the Ombudsman to complain about it. People should realise that they have to fight for their rights, especially in cases as blatantly unfair as this.

I have set up a some information about the new motor tax here:
[broken link removed]

Regards

I have, AFAIK, 1MB landline broadband from BT. Assuming I am the only one on the line, what is the maximum download rate, in kps, possible ?

Back