Mice in attic - how to get rid of?

Some of the posts that are been made sound like they are from Mickey Mouse !!! Two things -- Not sure what part of the country you are living, but did you ever consider that you might have BATS. Had the same problem - thought they were Mice, then Rats, found out they were Bats. And guess what - not allowed kill them. So the answer for the three types of Vermin is simple - Go to Tesco, Dunnes or a decent electrical retailer and purchase the electronic plug in module which give out an electronic beam through the electric wires - you won't be able to hear them but the noise will drive the vermin mad.They are about €50/€60 each - you will need two - one for downstairs and one for upstairs. Give it 36 Hours and then let them run into someone else's house. One thing certain, they won't hang around your place. And to the idiots who think 'the poor little creatures', wake up and smell the coffee. Rats especially are dangerous. i know somebody who was killed by Weild disease, from drinking from a bottle where a Rat urinated on. NOW changed your tune ???

hi mercman,

Thanks for that info. If you have a look at a couple of my last posts you will see we caught 2mice in the attic.

Will def get some of those sound things to keep them away, have blocked up some holes to.

We still dont know how exactly they got in attic but could have been from anywhere.

Oh and they are so noisy it sounded like a herd of cattle up in the attic running around!!

:)

Woken up at 3am this morning to the sound of scratching and scampering in the attic.
I`d say the little fecker was between the floorboards in the attic.
Is there any way to get at him there other than ripping them up?
I`d say he got up one of the drainpipes - is there any wiremeshing or any other device that i could put on the drainpipes to stop them entering?
It`s a new house and we are in it 5 months - first sign of rodents, not pleasant!

I`d say he got up one of the drainpipes - is there any wiremeshing or any other device that i could put on the drainpipes to stop them entering?

They didnt come up through drain pipes. More than likley they came up in a box you carried up there or if its new they could have been there since the builders were in.

They didnt come up through drain pipes. More than likley they came up in a box you carried up there or if its new they could have been there since the builders were in.
Have nothing up in attic - it`s an attic conversion.
We are in 5 months & this is first sign of any life up there so they must have came only recently.
I see somewhere else someone used brillo pads in the drainpipes - would this work?
I`m also going to get a few wooden traps using rasher as bait, a sprinking of storm around the attic & a couple of those ultra-sonic devices.

the humane traps can be bought in most hardware shops AFAIK. We invested in two after clearing out our utility room using the wooden traps. We had a family of 9 mice. We invested in the sonar plug ins that are supposed to keep insects and mice away. we plugged one into the utility room as this is where the back door is. The big thing with the plug ins if you have mice is they will be curious as to what the sound is. We lay our traps beside them and thats how we caught them 6 in one day. It was great in a sense as the problem was solved in less than a week overall. So far the mice have stayed away and long may it continue. The mice were very cute and managed to get the cheese out without setting the trap off. We managed to observe it one day, was actually quite ingenious of the little fella. Anyways we were advised of rasher rinds. burn it slightly. The reason this works is because its hard and they need to dig there teeth in in order to get it out of trap. Most cheeses come apart easily.
Hope you get to the bottom of it.

I heard they really like chocolate best of all. Also, they are very partial to the rind of a rasher!

Good luck.

Barbie

Have nothing up in attic - it`s an attic conversion.
We are in 5 months & this is first sign of any life up there so they must have came only recently.
I see somewhere else someone used brillo pads in the drainpipes - would this work?
If you put brillo pads in the drain pipes how do you expect them to work? They wouldnt come up the drain pipes, could weel have been in a pack of insulation / flooring etc.

Peanut butter is suppose to be good too. There are things called rat zappers you can buy online and are very good. They electrocute the rat or mouse when he goes into it for the food. They are battery operated.

The big thing with the plug ins if you have mice is they will be curious as to what the sound is. We lay our traps beside them and thats how we caught them 6 in one day.

More proof if it was needed that these plug-ins do not work. They are supposed to be so irritating that rodens run a mile from them, not come out to investigate them!
Leo

Just stick some poison down in the loft. The good news is that mice's bodies don't smell when they die, they just dry up. RATS are a different matter! I suspect its mice though.

4 traps plus bait were set Tuesday & I plugged in the ultrasonic sound thingy in attic. I heard a few noises on wednesday but have heard nothing since.
Also no sign of any droppings & none of the traps have been set off.
I wonder if the sound device has worked or is my friend too cute for the traps.

Just stick some poison down in the loft. The good news is that mice's bodies don't smell when they die, they just dry up. RATS are a different matter! I suspect its mice though.

Mice do smell. We had dead mice in attic and smell came down into our sitting room. Pretty foul.

Was just investigating the traps today and found a little Bat on the ground! Set him free outside. Is this what was causing the noises in attic - do bats make scratching noises or is there possibility i still have a mouse?

We have had annual visits from these creatures mice/rats (not sure which as OH dealt with their disposal from traps) for many years. I was on the point of moving house and decided to have a final try. Purchased one of those plug in thinngys, Industrial version and have never heard a scratch since. That was about 3 years ago

Re: Mice in attic

We have been having this problem for two years now, we came across the problem when we experienced the worst smell in our bedroom...found a mouse dead in the attic. Between october last year and march we caught 2 in the attic with traps.

This year we bought those electrical plug in devices (don't think they work) put poison outside under the decking so other animals couldn't eat it and bought a humane trap for outside near bins (they walk into and cant get out of it) AND put about 6 traps in attic with nutella in them (they love the stuff). So far they have cleared 2 poison packs, ive caught 3 in the humane trap and 3 in the attic. Im hoping to kill mouse/nest before they make their way into my attic. Other side of the arguement is that by putting poison outside, am I just attracting them to my garden/house????

We really don't want to face into the next few months continuouly getting up and down into the attic. They are obvously crawling up the exterior wall. We have huge gaps all around the edge of the roof (between slates and gutter)- when you look out you can see light coming in, in places - its a MASSIVE job to fill these spaces - don't have a clue what to use - would have to get a builder in I'd say to get everything sealed. We have a covered man hole in the middle of our garden - new estate - could they get into our house from here? We have never had any in the house, only attic. We don't leave bins open or rubbish outside or feed the dogs outside.

Not sure what to do - sounds ridiculous I know, but really don't want to call professionals and have they're van parked in my driveway advertising to all that I've a pest problem!!!!!

So sorry for long post - not sure what to do!!!!

Pippi, I'd start a new thread maybe if I was you, people might not see your question so far down the Mouse thread. I'd say getting all the gaps is not going to help that much as a mouse can squeeze through a gap as small as a pencil. And I've seen one myself squeeze through an impossibly small space - a slit below the oven smaller than a pencil would fit through. You could ask the pest control guy to park down the road a bit and walk up the road!

Thanks so much for replying Sadie, much appreciated!!!Good idea about asking pest control to park down the road....opposite somebody else's house and not mine!!!!!

Think I'll start a new thread, hope nobody minds reading all this twice!!!

Blacksheep, where did you get the Industrial type of the plug-in thinngy ?

You could try an expanding foam type filler that you can get in any DIY shop to fill the gaps yourself. If you do not fill all the holes then you will never get rid of the mice, simple as that.

Back