Mice in attic - how to get rid of?

help-me

Ive looked at the other threads all about mice! This morning I was woke at 8am with this like scratching noise and like running along the ceiling type noise. Himself said it must be a mouse in the attic, Neither of us could go back to sleep with the noise. does this noise sound as if it could be a mouse? Its a very loud noise for a mouse to be making? also how would it have gotton into the attic? im so scared its going to get into the house i nearly want to move out. also is there any way it could get to anywhere else in the house like say the hot press or loos?

im petrafied. we live in a semi d house

Re: Mice in attic? how to get rid of?

if your feel so bad about it i would suggest contacting a professional pest control company to solve the problem and advise on possible points of entry.

I would second GOBSTOPPER's advice-there are plenty or DIY mice solutions, but given your initial post, I would be surprised if you want to go down that route.

You will probably find a few places to call in the Golden Pages.

The poor little mouse...he was probably just freezing and looking for somewhere to warm his little toes...don't kill him, think of Mrs Mouse and the mouse-lets waiting for daddy mouse to come home to them :( Isn't there traps available where you can catch the mouse and set them free...although I have heard that they can find their way back...so make sure you find a nice big field for him...I'm sure he's more afraid of you than you of him....:eek:

Last edited:

if it is a very loud noise it could be a ................ RAT!

Isn't there traps available where you can catch the mouse and set them free
I made my own, and it worked a treat.

Mice are very cute creatures, I couldn't harm one of them.

if it is a very loud noise it could be a ................ RAT!

Dum dum duuuuummmm.....shudder...make sure you pull your socks up over trouser leg ends just in case...you know how rats like to tunnel in denim....:eek::eek::eek:

mm..Thanks for all the kind words! I havent been back upstairs since. My bf says it cant be a rat because the noise wasnt that loud but i thought it was :confused:

We have been listening for noise but have heard nothing since maybe it has gone back outside? im dreading going to bed!

I'm off to try and construct my own little trap with a lunch box put it in attic before going to bed tonight and check in morning!!

oh god what if he runs down when he sees the opening? :eek:

mm..Thanks for all the kind words! I havent been back upstairs since. My bf says it cant be a rat because the noise wasnt that loud but i thought it was :confused:

We have been listening for noise but have heard nothing since maybe it has gone back outside? im dreading going to bed!

I'm off to try and construct my own little trap with a lunch box put it in attic before going to bed tonight and check in morning!!

oh god what if he runs down when he sees the opening? :eek:

Lol...don't worry, you'll survive, I have yet to hear of someone being murdered by a vicious mouse attack!!!! I remember a friend of mine telling me that she was in her downstairs loo and saw a mouse tail hanging (and moving) through the vent grid...:eek:.... Perhaps you should get someone to advise you, as suggested by another poster, as regards to the entry points available to rodents.....Sweet dreams, let us know how u get on...!

Lol...don't worry, you'll survive, I have yet to hear of someone being murdered by a vicious mouse attack!!!! I remember a friend of mine telling me that she was in her downstairs loo and saw a mouse tail hanging (and moving) through the vent grid...:eek:.... Perhaps you should get someone to advise you, as suggested by another poster, as regards to the entry points available to rodents.....Sweet dreams, let us know how u get on...!

Lads, please lay off frightening the poor girl any further. She is upset enough as it is.

Don't just do nothing, hoping they will go away, because they probably won't. In fact, most likely they will breed. So you have to kill all of them. Get traps and check them every day until there is no more sign of life. There is plenty of advice on other threads on AAM about setting and baiting traps.

Good luck, it's not a nice situation, but it can be dealt with. You will be surprised how quickly you start to deal with it, and after a short while, you will not be afraid of them at all.

help-me,
don't rule out possibility of birds trying to nest through a broken tile on your roof. It could be birds moving up and down flashing underneath tiles. From past experience we would wake most mornings to the sound of scurrying or whizzing sound in the attic which we initially thought was a mouse or rat. But then we used to only hear the sound early morning for about an hour and nothing through day or night which seemed strange. Rats and mice would definitely be more active during the night so investigate if noise is clear at night. It turns out by looking at the outside of the house that we had a broken tile which birds where using to nest. Up to then we had layed 2 traps in the attic to see if anything was stirring. Just ruling out all possibilities.

Hi guys!!

Well after another sleepless night whatever is up there wasnt in the trap i made this morning! bf has put wooden traps up there now one with cheese and one with peanut butter. didnt really want to kill it/them but going back to work tomorrow and need sleep!

as soon as we went to bed last night there was the scratching noise like he was at cables or something tv aerials perhaps. all i could do was put my head under the duvet and hope he didnt get into the bedroom. the noise stopped after a min. eventually fell asleep but kept tossing and turning all night knowing there was something over my head. will have to wait untill this evening to check traps as bf gone to work and dont think i could handle seeing dead mice/rats/birds!

bf was up listening at 6/7 and 8 o clock yesterday eve and not one word..then when we go to bed it comes out. Its like having another child in the house only my child doesnt keep me awake..!!

just after hearing noise again so going downstairs now for the day with all the doors closed and towels underneath them all. I wonder how long it will take to catch? like how will they no theres food around?

thanks slash & socky for comments. will have a look outside to see if i an see any tiles broken now

:(

Had the exact same problem myself recently & it was mice in my case. They do sound VERY noisy when scurrying around so its not necessarily rats as has been suggested. I used normal traps first but they kept getting sprung without catching anything & the bait was eaten every time. My conscience got the better of me & I got a few humane traps - ones that tip over & close when the mouse enters & used peanut butter - they worked brilliantly. I caught five mice over a period of about two weeks & released them all unharmed. The last one was caught about 2 months ago & there hasn't been a sign of any more since - even though I've left the traps up there since then.

I had one in my bedroom before.

I heard noises under the bed one night he popped his head out and when I moved he ran back undrneath the bed.

Next day I got one of those plug in devices that emit a noise to get rid of them. Worked a treat and never saw or heard from him again.

Help-me

Had the same situation before Christmas and caught two mice in the attic - for the second one, I heard the trap go off and listened for 10 minutes as the mouse moved about the attic in the trap.

Check and reset (if necessary) the traps on a daily basis. Have had no problem since then.

Sim

Lads, please lay off frightening the poor girl any further. She is upset enough as it is.

Apologies Help-Me, I do hope you get it sorted, try not to be too freaked out. If you are that scared perhaps you should call an exterminator and have them sort the problem once and for all. It might take longer if you try to do it yourself....Sorry again Help-Me didn't mean to scare you :eek:

OP - look at Rentokils website, you can enter your details for a free survey of your premises, might be worth having them take a look for possible entry/exit points, stuff you wouldn't see yourself, and you can get them blocked up then. As someone else said, Mice can sounf VERY load - especially in the dead of night, so not necessarily a rat.

duffman, where can you get the humane traps? 5mice over two weeks hope we dont have that many. It does only sound like one hunting around up there though.

Peno..if i saw one in my bedroom i would have moved out by now! :) i read on another aam thread that once the mice are in the sound things are not much good? I might get one of them anyway to keep them after I catch what ever is in the attic!

Bobbins, no worries im probably going a bit mad I just hate the thoughts of mice rats birds etc especially in house! Think I will leave an exterminator for a while and see how we get on with the traps :D

Will have a look at that site now havealaugh. I was standing on the bed after shower this morning trying to get dressed in case one was in the room.

I actually think I can hear the noise again..computer upstairs at least if im downstairs I cant hear a thing!

What type of cheese do they prefer? All I had was some greated stuff so stuck it to the end of a cocktail stick and attached! maybe it will go for the peanut butter instead!

What type of cheese do they prefer? All I had was some greated stuff so stuck it to the end of a cocktail stick and attached! maybe it will go for the peanut butter instead!

I heard they love fries from a very well known fast food outlet...don't know if I can mention the name on here but my bro-in-law had mice in his semi d and put some fries in the trap which they loved.....just a suggestion...

Back