Mcwilliams making up stories again

cancan

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/a...in-as-gaa-leads-to-foreign-field-1459290.html

David - when writing a story, you can't just make up facts to suit yourself.

The only place where there is an uptake in foreign gaa teams due to immigration is in David’s imaginative head.

It must get hard to come up with material to constantly put his country down every week I suppose.

David, we'll happily take you in for our GAA team in the US, but something tells me you'd be more of a cricket man!

If you were smart, you would have listened to your own advice, shorted the irish market, and perhaps now could be doing pro bono work for a real newspaper.

What occured to me is that the trend he pointed out could be seasonal.

Students going abroad during the summer months.

What occured to me is that the trend he pointed out could be seasonal.

Students going abroad during the summer months.

Yea, he should have compared to August 2007 to get a realistic picture. Maybe the trend will still be there but why pick January 2008? (Just found [broken link removed], slight increase this year but nothing amazing)

And to the OP, he's hardly "putting the country down". Or are you one of the people who believe McWilliams talked the country into the recession? And how do you know that he didn't short the ISEQ?

And to the OP, he's hardly "putting the country down". Or are you one of the people who believe McWilliams talked the country into the recession? And how do you know that he didn't short the ISEQ?

Cos he's still working for the indo, which is the journalistic equivalent of playing football for the aran islands.

He couldn't talk a leaf down off a tree in autumn, never mind an economy.
I just think that when a boy cries wolf 8 years running, then someone spots a wolf, you don't beatify the lad.

He should have looked at the July 08 and 07 figures. All the data for Aug 08 isn't in on account of the month not being over yet.

Why does McWilliams seem to generate so much resentment?

Why does McWilliams seem to generate so much resentment?

Because despite some excellent thinking and the odd excellent piece of writing he comes across as smarmy and gives the impression that he has little of no respect for his audience?

Cos he's still working for the indo, which is the journalistic equivalent of playing football for the aran islands.

He couldn't talk a leaf down off a tree in autumn, never mind an economy.
I just think that when a boy cries wolf 8 years running, then someone spots a wolf, you don't beatify the lad.
I'm not going to defend the Indo (as I pretty much agree with you) however you can't criticise him for calling wolf. Just because the downturn didn't hit until now, doesn't make what he said for the past 8 years wrong. His fundamental point is that an economic boom fuelled by people selling houses to each other on the back of cheap credit is going to have an unhappy ending. [broken link removed] has an article this week saying pretty much the same.

Because he insists on categorising everybody into stereotyped groups with what he considers to be funny titles?
Yea that is incredible annoying. A sibling gave me his Generation Game book but I couldn't get past page 30 with all those stereotypes.

I'm not going to defend the Indo (as I pretty much agree with you) however you can't criticise him for calling wolf. Just because the downturn didn't hit until now, doesn't make what he said for the past 8 years wrong.

I predict the earth will be destroyed by the sun going supernova next year (I won't be wrong, I'll just be a few billion years early).....

Perhaps McW deliberately tries to annoy people? Certainly, that article is a laughable attempt to do so, right down to his "GAA mums" reference, (which is a nod to the phrase "Soccer Moms" in the US, presumably). Look how far Eamonn Dunphy got by annoying people! And how much money he made on the way...

Perhaps McW deliberately tries to annoy people? Certainly, that article is a laughable attempt to do so, right down to his "GAA mums" reference, (which is a nod to the phrase "Soccer Moms" in the US, presumably). Look how far Eamonn Dunphy got by annoying people! And how much money he made on the way...

TBH he even looks annoying so he doesn't have to try very hard. Dunphy can be annoying but at least he is entertaining (sometimes), McW looks, sounds, and even reads annoying.

I think there's a fine line between annoying and entertaining. DMcW's foibles and stereotypes are no more or less annoying/entertaining than many other pseudo-celebrities, what appears to me to swing him firmly into the loathed category for many people is the tone and tenor of his message. People don't like to hear negative things. He's appears to have been right but that doesn't really matter.

Anecodotal evidence "on the ground" is that GAA teams in London are picking up again big time. I played there for a wee bit in '97 but since then many clubs dissappeared for want of players. Now it seems that, where before managers were scouring the place for players, they are picky as to who they want because there are so many.

I wouldnt have thought this was news though, isnt it common knowledge that tradesmen have been leaving in the last, say, 9 months?

p.s. Whats wrong with the Indo (apart from McW of course)? Is this Irish Times snobbery coming to the fore? Surely even if you prize the "paper of record"/"odl lady of d'Olier Street" then the Indo must be the 2nd best paper in Ireland. Now the Sindo I cant stand, Tribune reader.

I think there's a fine line between annoying and entertaining. DMcW's foibles and stereotypes are no more or less annoying/entertaining than many other pseudo-celebrities, what appears to me to swing him firmly into the loathed category for many people is the tone and tenor of his message. People don't like to hear negative things. He's appears to have been right but that doesn't really matter.

Taking the was he right or was he wrong so many more times out of it, ne just comes across as very smarmy and his voice and manner just are very unappealling.

I believe our foremost young(ish) economist David McWilliams is predicting up to a decade of pain for the property market as it adjusts to true value.

Guess we'll see who's right in the next few years.

p.s. The IT is a hugely overrated newspaper. It doesn't compare with truly great papers like the New York Times.

p.s. Whats wrong with the Indo (apart from McW of course)? Is this Irish Times snobbery coming to the fore?

I don't think it's as simple as snobbery - personally, I think the IT is just a much better paper in every way.

And yes, DmcW is annoying - some people just rub others up the wrong way whether they have talent/merit ot not.

Pat Kenny is probably another.

And who was it who put a gun to your head and forced you to read this article, against your will :rolleyes: ?

Anecodotal evidence "on the ground" is that GAA teams in London are picking up again big time.
I have heard similar anecdotal evidence of this myself in recent times.

p.s. Whats wrong with the Indo (apart from McW of course)? Is this Irish Times snobbery coming to the fore?
Too true, i'm afraid. For example, the sort of character who used to lap up Kevin Myers articles when he worked for the IT and who now looks down through their nose at him now that he works for the Indo.

Back