Mcwilliams making up stories again

I predict the earth will be destroyed by the sun going supernova next year (I won't be wrong, I'll just be a few billion years early).....
Sure. But you don't have half the country claiming that the earth will be viable for ever while critising you for being negative about our future on it!

Check out this thread what they said and when they said it to remember the great times when nothing could go wrong. (My particular favourite "The really smart and ballsy guys are the guys who are buying when no one else is. .......When you think about it, it makes sense to buy property now. Though of course some people say it always makes sense to buy property. There is no such thing as a good or a bad time to buy. It's always a good time to buy" Brendan O'Connor from that bastion of journalism the Indo 2007)

Unfortunately, mentioning Brendan O'Connor as a journalist, or even worse, quoting from him, has just rendered your whole arguement worthless :)

In fairness there is far more to the Indo (and the Sindo) than Brendan O'Connor. For example, Brendan Keenan and Alan Ruddock are two of the best business/current affairs journalists in the country.

Brendan O'Connor writes drivel. It's what he does, it's his job.

He's very good at it.

Don't write off the sindo because of it.

In fairness there is far more to the Indo (and the Sindo) than Brendan O'Connor. For example, Brendan Keenan and Alan Ruddock are two of the best business/current affairs journalists in the country.

tribune is far better for business. The Examiner has gone downhill.

The Sunday Indo Magazine is trashy. The Sunday indo itself is very tabloidy. Sending reporter down to Brian Cowens mobile home had zero news content.

The Sunday Indo Magazine is trashy. The Sunday indo itself is very tabloidy. Sending reporter down to Brian Cowens mobile home had zero news content.

Agreed, but in the midst of the trash, the Sindo still have some of the very best writers around, for example,
Keenan on economics/business
Ruddock, Jody Corcoran & John Drennan on current affairs & politics
Dermot Crowe, Dion Fanning & Richard Sadlier on sport.

Leonard Cohen referred to the USA as "the cradle of the best and of the worst". You could say the same about the Sindo :)

The Tribune isn't bad but can be a bit lightweight and predictable at times. Richard Delevan was a big loss to them.

The Cork Examiner is still the Cork Examiner no matter what they call it.

Too true, i'm afraid. For example, the sort of character who used to lap up Kevin Myers articles when he worked for the IT and who now looks down through their nose at him now that he works for the Indo.

Never liked the arrogant twit. Now that he's moved I no longer have to avert my eyes from the top right hand corner of the letters page in case I'd catch sight of his column!

The Irish Times, like any other Irish paper, will never have the resources of a New York Times. But would you read the NYT for Irish news?

I think because McWilliams got it right seems to be people's main problem with him, also he labelled and categorised everybody, people who were never labelled before didn't like it, so it wasn't just working class but alot of middle classes aswell, I think commentators like McWilliams are very common in britain or america but he is unique to the irish market, but he is a breath of fresh air because he challenges the right people, people who are not used to being challenged in ireland

...but he is a breath of fresh air because he challenges the right people, people who are not used to being challenged in ireland

Who in particular do you think he challenges and why are they "the right people"?

Back