M50 Toll Bridge - "Processing Charge" €41.50?

You should have made them take you to court.

The M50 signage is woefully inadequate. It does not advise of any penalties.

Why should it?.. It does advise that it's a toll road and gives details on how to pay and how to obtain more info. The letters give details of the additional 40 Euro penalty.

What more could be done?.. don't forget that people are driving by the signs quite quickly so they can hardly give details of the penalty structures and the time periods.

All the signs need say is failure to pay will result in penalties.

The whole house of cards will fall on that point.

by that logic we should have signs under every speed limit detailing the penalty points that apply and the fines also - illogical

has anyone been in court over it i have recieved a summons

Bond-007 may have a point... while I think it can be inferred that not paying a toll fee will result in penalties, under the law it may be necessary to inform people of that with an explicit notice...

I wouldn't be prepared to not pay and then say I felt there shouldn't be any penalties for not paying as there's no notice... but I'm sure someone may be..

Sometimes you do see it noted that failure to pay (something) will result in fees or penalties...

Same here in that I forgot to pay for a return trip (had done the original, but neglected to put in for the return). However, I received a letter soon after stating this and although it had an additional "processing fee" this was only €3, it did state it would go up to the €40 if I didn't pay within certain date.

The letters give details of the additional 40 Euro penalty.... don't forget that people are driving by the signs quite quickly so they can hardly give details of the penalty structures and the time periods.ty.

Joe, its a "processing charge", by their own admission, NOT a penalty.

The penalty is the additional €3 you pay on top of the original €3.

ONQ

Sort of highjacking the thread but can anyone answer this?

I went through the toll about four, maybe five weeks ago. Completly forgot to pay online by following evening so I figured I would wait for the letter as the website was a bit ambigious. I haven't had a letter yet, do I call and try and pay what I owe or just wait it out?

Interesting, was late paying myself (missus filed away the bill on me so I forgot about it....argh :eek:)

Rang up eflow and said I didn't particulalry feel like paying €95 for a two-way journey. Lady was helpful, waived it (they apparently waive the big fine once) and took the €12 fee/fine I actually owed.

Set up my direct debit going forward, no more €6 per journey for me!!

I had the same problem.
We had changed cars, the otherhaf went through the toll thinking the car had been changed on the toll ( we have the video post paid account- which i highy reccomend)

I went online, paid the fine, swaped the car over (or so i thought) and forgot about it.
2 weeks later got a letter in the post saying we owed €95.
2 strongly worded emails later they had it sorted.

I would suggest if you have any issues to contact them, i found them very helpful!

I also have a problem witht his €41.50 processing charge and don't believe for one second that it is fair.

Havent we been through this above numerous times? You would have had a number of opportunities to resolve the matter! So you didnt and now have to pay the "processing charge".

Penalties under contract are not legal. If a competant solicitor defended against them they would loose.

It's not a penalty its a "processing charge" ****does giant air quotes with his fingers****!!!!!

Havent we been through this above numerous times? You would have had a number of opportunities to resolve the matter! So you didnt and now have to pay the "processing charge".

Is there anybody out there who can post how they arrived at the figure of €41.50 for a procesing charge? I mean really all they are doing is putting a letter into an envelope and posting it, how can that possibly cost €41.50.

ok so a private company BOUGHT the road off the N.R.A an now we have to pay whatever they decide and because its a private company run for profit they have no problems with you missing a payment in fact they rub there hands every day "THE National Roads Authority (NRA) is making €50,000 a day from motorists who don't pay the M50 toll on time" quote taken from http://www.independent.ie/national-news/motorists-fork-out-euro50000-on-m50-toll-fines-every-day-1937659.html
check it out for yourself and then google "no contract return to sender"
for a possible solution to this problem

The M50 toll is another example of how things should not be done. Who dreams up systems like that?

I was on the M50 in a rented car in December. At the rental desk we were given a card with a phone number etc and told to pay the toll within I think 24 hours. Next day I phoned up and spoke to a computer, after much todo got through to a person to pay the charge. There was some other option of going to a forecourt to pay. This all took about 20 minutes on an international phone. At the rental desk we asked could we pay the toll to them. Apparently in the past one could but not currently.

At one stage on the M50 we saw a sign about a toll, normally you'd be looking for how much, don't remember seeing anthing about money and then you'd be looking out for the toll booth itself, I still don't know where we passed it. On the way back also saw one, maybe two signs and again not sure where we passed the toll booth. I have not paid the toll on the way back as now I'm abroad I don't have the bit of paper I received two weeks prior to this etc. (Yes I know I can look up the web etc)

Do they think that foreignors understand what a forecourt is and how difficult it is for a non English mother tongue person to deal on them phone with them
Do they think people know they are on a road with a toll booth that is invisible or how many times one is passing this elusive place.
Why don't they have one booth where you can pay on the spot?
Is there anywhere else in the world with such a mad system?

What will happen to us, will we receive a letter from the rental company.
The toll people knew it was a rental car from the registration number.
Will we have to pay 6 Euro?

Back