London's Burning

I agree 100% on everything you said except the last sentence... which I sort of agree with but 2 wrongs never made a right
I think the persons who are responsible should be made clean up the streets paint sweep clean etc.. make them pay for what they done.. I am not sure that using the tax payers money locking them up in comfy prisons is the answer!

I know what you mean. I don't for a minute think it would be the right thing to do, and I most likely wouldn't do something like that myself ( then again, who knows how I would feel if my home/business had been ransacked and burnt out) but I can understand the view people have that these hooligans deserve a taste of their own medicine. Making them wear brightly coloured overalls and cleaning up the streets they destroyed sounds like a good start

Without going over old ground it is good to see that you now agree with me that decent family's exist everywhere,which is in contrast to your original post.

I think rather than diluting the argument it adds to the the general discussion about cause and the solution and you can learn from it.

As for not getting the last paragraph that is very strange because it is a direct reply to a statement from you. If you had 'got it' and were able to have a more holistic view of the problem and I would have been a bit more inclined to discuss it further with you.

I see nothing in Mr Man's original post that warrants your implication. He was talking about values and his views on the causes of this. He never referenced social class or regard in society or said that it was only a feature of one group of people.

So perhaps the attitude is a little unjustified.

Poor parenting has a lot to do with it.

Parents should know where their under-18 children are all the time.

Without going over old ground it is good to see that you now agree with me that decent family's exist everywhere,which is in contrast to your original post.

I think rather than diluting the argument it adds to the the general discussion about cause and the solution and you can learn from it.

As for not getting the last paragraph that is very strange because it is a direct reply to a statement from you. If you had 'got it' and were able to have a more holistic view of the problem and I would have been a bit more inclined to discuss it further with you.

Of course they exist everywhere, where did i say different?

I may have understood your previous paragraph if it made sense to the discussion under way. would you not like to educate me further or has your argument come to a dead end?

Poor parenting has a lot to do with it.

Parents should know where their under-18 children are all the time.

There was a report in The Telegraph about a woman who saw her neighbours child looting on the telly. She rang the mother, and got an earful for waking her up. :rolleyes:

do we value the cause of the thieves, murderers and thugs over the cause of the decent and the hardworking?
Do we ask how we help the muggers, or how we help the families of the 5 (so far) who are dead, and the many whose lives have been destroyed?
Why is it so unfashionable to support ordinary law abiding citizens going about their lives and contributing positively to society?
It is nothing to do with financial circumstances. It is everything to do with responsibility and decency.
+1.

Shnaek's post implies that people on this thread or elsewhere are more sympathetic to the muggers than the victims.

The premise of sentences like " do we value the thugs ...over the decent etc ?" and "why is it so unfashionable to support lawabiding ordinary citizens?" is that there are those who support the thugs over the decent, which except for a few far-leftists, anarchists and nutters, is so patently untrue.

Suggesting, rightly or wrongly, reasons for the behaviour of thosee scumbags does not mean sympathy for them.

Almost like a Tea Party slogan talking about Obama and gun control ... " Why deprive ordinary decent law-abiding citizens the right to defnd themselves against thieves,murderes and thugs , unless he is on the side of those thieves etc etc etc"

Suggesting, rightly or wrongly, reasons for the behaviour of thosee scumbags does not mean sympathy for them.

..."

Very true oldnick. Milliband said yesterday that understanding wasn't excusing.

A British friend who lives here now but grew up in some fairly rough places around Glasgow & Manchester, said he couldn't see this happening in Ireland, as we are far less a divided society. I'm not so sure that will remain the case, even if it is the case.

A Irish retired policeman criticised the UK police for being too soft and not arresting people. Some of the images seem to confirm this, rioters coming in easy reach of the cops, and the cops retreating. Ther may be good reasons for this, but cops retreating probably just spurred more rioting.

A Irish retired policeman criticised the UK police for being too soft and not arresting people. Some of the images seem to confirm this, rioters coming in easy reach of the cops, and the cops retreating. Ther may be good reasons for this, but cops retreating probably just spurred more rioting.

some are saying that the police stood off initially as a result of the G7 riots a couple of years ago. they went in heavy then and got hammered by the media....1 cop is up on a charge still over the death of the newspaper seller who was just walking home when he got hit. Several other cops were demoted, cautioned etc.
So they probably said this time to themselves..'i'm not risking my job by going in heavy here'
I know a balance between the 2 approaches is what is needed....but hard to strike a balance in the heat of battle

I see nothing in Mr Man's original post that warrants your implication. He was talking about values and his views on the causes of this. He never referenced social class or regard in society or said that it was only a feature of one group of people.

So perhaps the attitude is a little unjustified.

Mr man said.
Why isn't there people ready to step up and try and better themselves?

I believe that 'to step up and better themselves' points to one section of society or maybe I misread or misinterpreted that.

I also feel that my answer to Mr man was equal in 'attitude' to his reply's to me.

Mr man said.
Why isn't there people ready to step up and try and better themselves?

I believe that 'to step up and better themselves' points to one section of society or maybe I misread or misinterpreted that.

I also feel that my answer to Mr man was equal in 'attitude' to his reply's to me.

The people who break the law because of the bad example of our politicans and bankers is who I referred to. Why don't the same people follow the plenty of good examples around them?
There is always an excuse and someone else to blame, I just wish more people could accept that they are wrong and try and do better next time..

Back