London's Burning

horusd

What on earth is happening in London? The violence appears to be spreading daily, and the rioters seem to ignore the police.

There are incidents breaking out right around London. Looks like the Police need help. See [broken link removed]

Doesn't look great for London tourism or the olympics.

It appears it started as a peaceful protest against the police,who had shot a 29 year old man..It has been said that he was armed,altough that is what is unclear.

In the last few minutes it was revealed that the bullet in the policemans radio and the bullet which killed the man,are both from the same weapon,the policemans weapon.

It looks to me like a bunch of opportunists/scumbags,who are basically causing trouble,and looting, taking away from the original intention of the march,which was to get answers..

Poverty, overcrowded accommodation, mass unemployment and deprivation is everywhere in these poor areas. For every job available in Tottenham there are 50 applicants and in the recent austerity measures, services for young people in the area have been cut by 75% . The dole is £65 a week, the poor people are starving hence the looting and violence. The shooting of the young man last Thursday evening was the catalyst that flamed the tensions that were already building up across the city.
This has the potential to get very ugly unless they can do something to contain the violence. How they are going to manage this is going to be very difficult when police budgets have already been cut by 20%, they are just not enough police in some of the areas that are currently been targeted. It must be very demoralising for them when they lives are put in so much danger.

Saw on the news tonight that due to the carpet store going up in flames 26 families who lived in the apartments over the store are now homeless.

Saw on the news tonight that due to the carpet store going up in flames 26 families who lived in the apartments over the store are now homeless.

Is this the carpetright store in the Tottenham Retail Park that they were referring to?
I know where the place is and it got burnt down alright but there were no apartments over it so the news got that one wrong for sure.

I just notice it is the CarpetRight place on Tottenham High Road that got burnt down and it did have apartments overhead.

Last edited by a moderator:
In situations like that,martial law should be enforced in that area,the soldiers sent in and the looters/rioters shot on sight.

Libya rises up for democracy, London rises up for new shoes and plasma TV's

I don't know London well but while it was in the North at the beginning, it's went to North and South today and now Ilford in the East is kicking off.
Birmingham too and there were a few tweets and reports of Leeds

Legal advice

What is worrying is that these people are walking around amongst us everyday, If they are not afraid of the police, what can they get up to?

Why have the police not got water cannons? they are just out running the police on foot

David Cameron just reported to have boarded a plane to come home from holiday.

The thugs must be quaking in there boots.

Of course situations like this are always hijacked by the scumbags.

I don't see how stealing a TV out of a store has anything at all to do with protesting about the death of a local resident.

I hope there's plenty of CCTV footage to get these gits convicted.

Poverty, overcrowded accommodation, mass unemployment and deprivation is everywhere in these poor areas. For every job available in Tottenham there are 50 applicants and in the recent austerity measures, services for young people in the area have been cut by 75% . The dole is £65 a week, the poor people are starving hence the looting and violence. The shooting of the young man last Thursday evening was the catalyst that flamed the tensions that were already building up across the city.
This has the potential to get very ugly unless they can do something to contain the violence. How they are going to manage this is going to be very difficult when police budgets have already been cut by 20%, they are just not enough police in some of the areas that are currently been targeted. It must be very demoralising for them when they lives are put in so much danger.

Perhaps this will give pause for thought to the politicians in power at the moment and the right wing employers on AAM who advocate cutting the social welfare payments across the board with serious implications for those who need them and marginal impact on the chancers who are already earning on the blakc economy.

The reason Ireland hasn't rioted at the present level of austerity is that people can just about get by on what they have and some are eking out their war chests to get through this economic mess. If people start falling four and five months behind on utility payments because of idiotic price rises agreed by the so-called Regulator, and social welfare payments are further reduced, then perhaps we'll see riots in front of government buildings in Dublin the autumn.

Governments should remember they are in power with the consent of the governed and the recent tide that swept Fine Gael and Labour into power will suddenly turn on them if they fail to deliver

• a working banking system
  • jobs and
  • economic growth.
We've had nearly three years of crap to deal with, seeing no hardship being suffered or criminal cases brought against the people who defrauded the revenue and the shareholders and beggared our economy.

I doubt people will put up with much more of Enda Kenny's pontification about recovery and Noonan wittering on about paper profits and balance of payments recovery if the scenes outside the Roscommon Hospital on the RTE news at 9.00 tonight were anything to go by.

ONQ.

In situations like that,martial law should be enforced in that area,the soldiers sent in and the looters/rioters shot on sight.

Easy to see how some people lost the run of themselves in the Tiger years if they were as dislocated from reality as this post suggests.

ONQ.

From next Saturday, everything will die down because they'll all be back at White Hart Lane, The Emirates Stadium, Stamford Bridge, etc. :D

I'm happy to report that no Leeds fans were spotted amongst the rioters and looters. :cool:

From next Saturday, everything will die down because they'll all be back at White Hart Lane, The Emirates Stadium, Stamford Bridge, etc. :D

I'm happy to report that no Leeds fans were spotted amongst the rioters and looters. :cool:

Is that not because they are all pretty much in prison already?

Back