lodging cheque to joint account but made out to only one name

evanio

Tried to lodge a cheque to my account with nationwide uk.My account is in joint names but the cheque was in my name and a third party.They refused to lodge the cheque as it was not in the names of both account holders

Then lodge it to your account and transfer the funds to the joint ? That's what I've done when faced with the same issue.

Depends on what it says on the front of the cheque - if it is crossed & states 'non negotiable' or 'a/c payee only' then it can only be lodged to an a/c that is in both names on the cheque. If it isn't crossed & the 2nd name has endorsed the back I can't see why you can't lodge it.

I would have thought that the 3rd party was the problem rather than only one name of the joint ac holders.

No self-respecting institution will accept this except into the account of the named payees.

Had this problem recently. Crossed cheques to Mrs and Mr Runner.
Tried to lodge to either of our seperate accounts in TSB and BOI, but no way hose!
Luckily we had a dormant joint account that we re-activated and lodged it there.
Just signing other party on back was no good. Has to be joint account if crossed.

Have I got this right? Joint account in the names of Jonny and Mary. Cheque made out to Jonny and Paddy? Jonny wants to lodge the cheque to Jonny and Marys account? I wouldn't be too impressed if I was Paddy !! BTW the thread title is very misleading.

paddy was aware of transaction and the idea was to lodge toaccount of Johnny and Mary and issue a cheque to paddy for half the proceeds drawn on that a/c so nothing to be unimpressed about

I have to agree with demoivre.

Would it not have been a lot easier if two cheques were written?

Back