Life as an accountant

Thanks Kiddo,

So whoever is in practice - what do you consider the most interesting work? - besides audit, accounts prep and company secretarial, none of which float my boat.

Hello peeps!

Welcome to me first of all!

Second just a quick question while we are on the subject of accounting, I have a few interviews coming up with some "small firms". I'm dreading the "What do you know about us?" or "Why do you want to work here?" question as to be honest I don't know anything about them only what their website says and nothing comes up when I google them!
Any help?

killeoin said:
I'm dreading the "What do you know about us?"

In this case I'd say "I had a look at your website so I know that you (whatever info they have on the website) but I would be interested to hear more about the type of clients you have, what sort of work I would be doing day to day... blah blah blah! If your interviewing through an agency they should be able to give you a bit of backround.

"Why do you want to work here?

In this case...assuming your a trainee...my answer would be " well I feel that I will get good experiance in a small practice and will get some exposure to company secretarial, tax work etc that I may not get in a bigger practice.

If they are Dublin based practices, feel free to pm me... I might know of them and be able to give you some info.

Would a medium sized firm ,with say 20/30 graduates every year, be the best option between a small firm and one of the big 4. The chances of getting pigeon holed into a particular sector will be eliminated but you could be dealing with larger clients than you would for smaller firms. I've being offered places with BDO, Grant Thortan and Mazars in Dublin as well as one of the big 4. Any thoughts?

Stick with the Chartered, (ACA) That snob value is still very much attached and is worth real money in the salary. plus it is a real confidence maker to be a Chartered Accountant. Have a look at the job adverts in the papers , many actually say they want Chartered. I do'nt think i've ever seen an ad that specified ACCA. Good Luck

Have a look at the job adverts in the papers , many actually say they want Chartered. I do'nt think i've ever seen an ad that specified ACCA. Good Luck

Jaysus what papers do you read. Most adverst say accountant wanted ACA, ACCA or CPA etc...

I've being offered places with BDO, Grant Thortan and Mazars in Dublin as well as one of the big 4. Any thoughts?

Take the Big 4 job imho - down the line when you are trying to move on it will be to your advantage. I started with a big 4 firm after college, and nobody ever asks anymore how I did in my degree (pass) as they automatically assume I was near the top of my class.

If you feel that you are getting too much experience in a particular area that you are not interested in, then you can always ask internally for some more variety. I'd also say that it depends on your longer term plans. If you want to work for large corporates then big 4. If you see your self working as FC in a small company - and nothing wrong with that (maybe as a life style choice) then one of the smaller firms might be better.

I don't want to burst the bubble bazermc, but doesn't the ACCA stand for the Association of CHARTERED Certified Accountants (maybe the other way around - certified CHARTERED I am open to correction) ... :rolleyes:

Jaysus what papers do you read. Most adverst say accountant wanted ACA, ACCA or CPA etc...

Hi Bazer

Of course, I meant ads that specify ACCA ONLY, We,ve both seen plenty that specify ACA ONLY, but not too many (if any) where they specifically wanted an ACCA.

My favourite paper is ' De Paper' or ' The Examiner' as some call it. lol

ACCA is a fine qualification, bit if a guy is starting out he might as well know from the start what its like in the real world, and go for it with ACA.

Have to agree with Mizen Head, especially when you go for a new job post qualified (even up to 3-5 years post qualified). After that though its about the positions you have held.

They forgot to mention there is a good mix of men and women in accounting so the social life is good.

It develops your critical thinking : you need evidence. Tax is good for looking for solutions. Management accounting is about design, decisions , implementationand behaviour. Finance has great breadth and intellectual challenge in it but also involves collecting the cash.

Remember accounting is about people : informing them, interpreting for them, persuading them, educating them , listening to them, learning from them, and transacting with them. People think it is just about numbers : that is bookkkeeping and computers now do much of that.

The hours are long and there are stresses but you can learn to handle those and you can find a niche where they are at the right level for you.

Last edited:
following on from this - is there a point where an accountant can get a life? I accepted the overtime & crap when I was training - means to an end & thought short term could handle it...............but at what point do the hours start getting better? Are there any accountants who get away with doing 9-5?

following on from this - is there a point where an accountant can get a life? I accepted the overtime & crap when I was training - means to an end & thought short term could handle it...............but at what point do the hours start getting better? Are there any accountants who get away with doing 9-5?

Not a chance 8am till after 6 most days!

move out of practice and you will get better hours, I've been around and you can get 9-5 especially in industry, when you have kids you'll realise that you need to leave "on time" versus leaving "early" and you know what, the world won't end and the place won't fall apart

move out of practice and you will get better hours,

I am in industry (financial services) - but things are a mess so going to take a year at least to settle. Anyway I am only a young fella and want to build my career now before i have kids etc

I'm not sure about all this. Being an accountant generally means deadlines. Despite best efforts there will usually be a working late phase. Maybe its just been a bad day..... :(

I my view, you can generally make your own hours. 9-5 is probably doable if you are willing to settle for less money and prospects etc. This applies to industry as well.

Back