Lidl app - beware

peemac

Lidl have an offer - 3 for 2 on a range of cold meats, cheeses and breads when you use the app.

But it is only valid for one single group of 3 items. If you purchase 6 or 9 items, the discount doesn't apply after the initial 3.

No restrictions are mentioned on the app or in the leaflet which leads with this offer.

So just be warned if like me you thought you'd stock up for lunches.

Expensive lesson.

It does say coupon can only be used once so I would have assumed it was only for the initial three items, but yes, it is not totally clear.

Yes but it also states applicable to multiple items! So it could mean you can only use it for one shop, and not multiple different times.

"Coupon can only be redeemed once" is totally clear to me.
Nowhere on the leaflet does it say it's a coupon. Misleading at best as the headline is 3 for 2 and shows about 40 products.
I didn't even know it was a coupon - just assumed it was when you used the app. Lesson learnt and app deleted.

Nowhere on the leaflet does it say it's a coupon. Misleading at best as the headline is 3 for 2 and shows about 40 products.
I didn't even know it was a coupon - just assumed it was when you used the app. Lesson learnt and app deleted.
What I quoted is from the app itself where the coupon is available and must be manually enabled by the customer before redemption.

Last edited:
On the bottom of the page it says T&Cs apply directing you to the Lidl-Plus section of their website where the rules of this offer are explained.

On the bottom of the page it says T&Cs apply directing you to the Lidl-Plus section of their website where the rules of this offer are explained.
It does indeed - but here are the terms below. Vague at best as the leaflet never mentions that it is a coupon. If you are not familiar with the app, you'd assume from their extensive promotion that you simply need the app and scan it and the offer applies. A the very least it should say in the leaflet "coupon activation required - one coupon per offer".

The terms even suggest that you need to have built up points before you get coupons. - A bit of the "Debenhams style" marketing where conditions and fine print were made to confuse (even Brendan nearly got caught out on Debenhams wording - and I believe one of the reason they failed as a business)

Redeeming points and rewards. You can redeem your points in the Lidl Plus App when you reach the required level of points for reward coupons. When redeeming points, individual redemption conditions may apply for the selected coupon. This includes, but is not limited to, a validity period for redemption. Lidl Plus Users should familiarise themselves with the individual redemption conditions prior to selection and redemption against point balance. The individual redemption conditions of the coupon can be found on the detail page of the respective coupon. The validity periods provided for in the coupon terms and conditions depend on the availability and stocking of the products in the store you have selected. To redeem the reward coupons in a participating Lidl store, you must activate them in the Lidl Plus App under the menu item "Coupons" and then identify yourself with your digital Lidl Plus customer card at the till.

If you have an issue with the terms and conditions you can report it to Lidl customer support via the app and, in my experience, they are very prompt and efficient in dealing with customer issues.

It does indeed - but here are the terms below. Vague at best as the leaflet never mentions that it is a coupon.
Go deeper, there's a section on each ongoing offer. The one in question reads:

Sandwich Essentials​

6 days left
'3 for 2' offer on selected Back to School products. Multiple variations included amongst the following ranges Rathdaragh Cheeses, Glensallagh Cooked Meats & Connell Bakery Breads. Please see 'Products Included' below! Coupon can only be redeemed once. Discount applicable to three of the 'Products Included' purchased. Available while stocks last!

Terms and Conditions

This coupon entitles you to the discount stated, on the products listed. In order to receive the discount, the coupon must be activated on the Lidl Plus app before scanning at the till. Discounts cannot be applied retrospectively. Subject to availability. This coupon has no cash value, is non-exchangeable and no change will be given. Available while stocks last. This coupon is only valid in the Republic of Ireland.

Also make sure the item you pick up is the item on the app, same weight/size etc. Very easy to pick a similar one. The best offer is the times you get 10% off. Doesn't pop up too often though.

I love the LIdl App - getting a free bar of chocolate that would have cost 80c and which I would have no interest in buying brings brings immense happiness to my dreary life and I look forward to uncovering the free treats offers every week!
The downside is that when the 80c bar of chocolate is sold out, I feel I've been robbed of the chocolate I didn't want anyway.

Back