Liam Brady exonerates Uruguayan cheat

• Thread starter Chocks away
  • Start date
Agree with the above. Sometimes the better team doesn`t win because the other team had more luck or the bounce of the ball or whatever.That is the drama of sport.

A touchdown would NOT have been given in American Football.

In fact I can't think of ANY other sport except rugby (league & union) which would have awarded a score

At the risk of being anal - below is from the American football rulebook. There is a catch all rule that allows the referee to take any action he considers equitable including awarding a score. Used infrequently, but is used - I've seen it used in the odd game myself.

Rule 9.2
Unfair Acts​
ARTICLE 3. The following are unfair acts:
a. A team refuses to play within two minutes after ordered to do so by the
referee.
b. A team repeatedly commits fouls for which penalties can be enforced
only by halving the distance to its goal line.
c. An obviously unfair act not specifically covered by the rules occurs
during the game (A.R. 4-2-1-II).​
PENALTY—The referee may take any action he considers equitable,
including assessing a penalty, awarding a score, or
suspending or forfeiting the game.​

You have to be a little bit anal to like NFL (I love it!)

But anyway I've never ever seen that rule used (I can't even find an example of the rule being used anywhere on the internet and examples given from college games are for things like coaches stopping a player etc etc) and in fact last year there was one game where a foul as committed in the end-zone in the last play as time elapsed and the penalty awarded was a down on the 1yd line with no time restriction on the play.

A handball in the area is already covererd in FIFA's Laws of the Game

How many games are actually decided like this one in the last minute by a deliberate handball? I suspect not many, we shouldn't ask for more rule changes based on one high profile isolated occurrence. As was mentioned earlier what if it had have been in the first rather than last minute? The timing of the offence shouldn't dictate the punishment, but I doubt we'd be having this debate.

In order to bring in the rule you'd have to rely on video replays to ascertain exactly was it deliberate, was it obviously a goal? But then how do we judge that, the player could have stopped it legitimately by heading or some other means rather than using their hands, so on that basis it wasn't a black and white goal, just "goal scoring opportunity".

And then what other "cheating" do we place under this law? Goalkeeper bringing a player down and other professional fouls? How about at the other end someone diving to get a penalty? Isn't that just as bad (and more common)?

Ghana were unlucky that it happened to them and it happened when it did. But then there was a whole game before that incident for them to win it.

With a penalty the odds are in the favour of the taker, it's their advantage. Otherwise why cheer a penalty awarded in your favour nearly as much as a goal? It should have been a goal, but then as a professional, international player he should have scored the penalty. He had the advantage, he had a whole net to chose from, he had a guessing keeper, he missed, they lost.

How many games are actually decided like this one in the last minute by a deliberate handball? I suspect not many, we shouldn't ask for more rule changes based on one high profile isolated occurrence. As was mentioned earlier what if it had have been in the first rather than last minute? The timing of the offence shouldn't dictate the punishment, but I doubt we'd be having this debate.

In order to bring in the rule you'd have to rely on video replays to ascertain exactly was it deliberate, was it obviously a goal? But then how do we judge that, the player could have stopped it legitimately by heading or some other means rather than using their hands, so on that basis it wasn't a black and white goal, just "goal scoring opportunity".

And then what other "cheating" do we place under this law? Goalkeeper bringing a player down and other professional fouls? How about at the other end someone diving to get a penalty? Isn't that just as bad (and more common)?

Ghana were unlucky that it happened to them and it happened when it did. But then there was a whole game before that incident for them to win it.

With a penalty the odds are in the favour of the taker, it's their advantage. Otherwise why cheer a penalty awarded in your favour nearly as much as a goal? It should have been a goal, but then as a professional, international player he should have scored the penalty. He had the advantage, he had a whole net to chose from, he had a guessing keeper, he missed, they lost.

You are just racist. Makes me sick.

You have to be a little bit anal to like NFL (I love it!)

But anyway I've never ever seen that rule used (I can't even find an example of the rule being used anywhere on the internet and examples given from college games are for things like coaches stopping a player etc etc) and in fact last year there was one game where a foul as committed in the end-zone in the last play as time elapsed and the penalty awarded was a down on the 1yd line with no time restriction on the play.

A handball in the area is already covererd in FIFA's Laws of the Game

There's also the holding/tripping or intentional grounding in the endzone rule - whereby a safety score is automatically given. You see this several times a season.

There's also the holding/tripping or intentional grounding in the endzone rule - whereby a safety score is automatically given. You see this several times a season.

Sorry but we'll have to disagree there

Holding/tripping in the endzone are called as pass interference and result in a 1st down at the 1 yd line, not a TD

I wouldn't consider the rules covering a safety to be the same thing as awarding a goal in football. You would have to find an example of a TD being awarded for that to be the equivalent.

Holding/tripping in the endzone are called as pass interference and result in a 1st down at the 1 yd line, not a TD

In your own endzone, its a safety i.e. 2pts to the opposition.

I wouldn't consider the rules covering a safety to be the same thing as awarding a goal in football. You would have to find an example of a TD being awarded for that to be the equivalent.

In your own endzone, its a safety i.e. 2pts to the opposition.

:confused::confused::confused:

I can watch most sports ever invented but American football is simply beyond me!

Fair enough

It's still not the same thing though. Concede a safety or concede a TD? No-brainer, especially at the end of a game.

It actually benefits the defending team more if a safety is awarded in that scenario.

I can watch most sports ever invented but American football is simply beyond me!

Most people I know are the same as you Sunny. I asked all my friends to come over and watch the Superbowl and neither of them would!

Personally I would prefer to watch an NFL game over any other sport(except maybe a Hunky Dorys rugby match!)

As least we don't have Liam, John and Eamonn commentating on tight ends and holding in the endzone.

Back