Liam Brady exonerates Uruguayan cheat

• Thread starter Chocks away
  • Start date
Only if they get Pollynesia and don't look for tweetment - parrotseatemall is the usual cure :D

Last edited by a moderator:
sunrocks analysis is, to my mind, correct. But the punishment did not fit the crime. What about the advantage rule? Could the referee not use that? As he does if a player is fouled en route to goal and lets the play go on. The ball was stopped on the goal line ........ could the ref not use his noodle and ...... Jeez, I'm kinda sorry that I started this one. There seems to be no just outcome!

No the ref could not have awarded the goal because the ball did not cross the line. Why can people not understand this point? Its very simple. There are laws/rules in football, and the ref awarding the goal would have broken FIFAs rules. Doesn't matter if it would be the right thing to do, or it should be the rule - the main thing is its currently not the rule. The ref dealt with the situation within the current laws of the game. He did it 100% right.

I think Suarez knew exactly what he was doing.The fact that it happened in a split second and was an instinctive reaction is fair enough but players make decisions in split seconds all the time and they know exactly what they are doing.Would he have blocked it with his hand if it was the first minute of the game. I don`t think so.
The fact is players have been through these scenarios in hundreds of matches and training sessions and also from witnessing matches and can size up the percentages instantly. Suarez calculation was pretty simple. Don`t handle the ball....Uruguay out.
Handle the ball....red card off the field for the remaining 10 seconds and miss the semi finals if Uruguay advance.More importantly Uruguay have a lifeline thru`a missed penalty and then suceeding in the penalty shoot out.
His foul was clearcut in front of the referree. If there is a deliberate attemt to deceive the referree like Maradona or Henry and is succeessful and is a matchchanger then that is harder to take.

I think he would have to be honest.

You seem to be under the belief that a ball which takes a fraction of a second to get from the attacking Ghanian to him on the line gave him plenty of time to think "now will I or won't I handle this ball?", and consider all the different scenario's that may result.

Can I ask have you ever played football? Because I maintain 100% that any footballer would have done the same in that situation. I have done it myself, and believe me the last thing that enters your head is any real thought. Its an instinctive reaction.

And by your logic there has never been a handball on the line in any football match early in the game - its only a thing that happens late on when the offender knows his team might prosper. And we know that this is totally wrong too.

It may have been an instinctive reaction but it is still a concious one.Suarez had the time to put up his hand to bat out the ball. If the goalie had been just behind him he wouldn`t have handled.
You don`t have to think things out in your head.Anyone who plays the game know that players size up the best options instantly in your head and this one was a no brainer for Suarez who is by now a national hero in Uruguay.The fact that it worked out is what makes his save remarkable.

Again RMCF, I'll row in beside sunrock. You say that because the ball took a second or so to travel from the opponents boot ........ Suarez didn't have the time to work out the percentages. How often have you seen a player deliberately with his hand stop a certain goal in the opposition's goal line? Presuming that he would also have the same amount of time to weigh up the scenario. Whether sunrock has or has not played soccer is neither here nor there. You may as well ask a judge if he has ever comitted the same crime as the one that he adjudicating on.

It's not really a conscious decision though.

It's like driving - braking and clutching and changing gears all just happen automatically after a while.

It's not really a conscious decision though.

It's like driving - braking and clutching and changing gears all just happen automatically after a while.

Its also no different to what Henry did against us. Only difference was the ref saw it. (And I didn't think Henry cheated).

In the Germany Argentina game, the Argentine midfielder handled the ball to stop his marker making a counter attack and got no card, though he has not been called a cheat. When the rules are broken frees/penalties are awarded and things like the last seconds of that Ghana match make football great and exciting even for the neutral.

Its all about the refs interpretation of the hand ball, human error does come into it but thats what makes it exciting, how boring would football be if we could not give out about the ref afterwards !! He is always a scape goat for loosing teams ;)

FIFA made a big "no racism" play on Saturday. The almost universal support of football neutrals for Ghana shows how far we have to go to achieve that ideal.

FIFA made a big "no racism" play on Saturday. The almost universal support of football neutrals for Ghana shows how far we have to go to achieve that ideal.

This makes absoluetly no sense? Were most neutrals not supporting for example New zealand when they were playing Italy?

This makes absoluetly no sense? Were most neutrals not supporting for example New zealand when they were playing Italy?
Naah, that's the classic envy in us "support the underdog". Ghana were the betting equals of Uruguay. Imagine Ireland v Ghana, it would be the same, the whole world except us would be for Ghana, we wouldn't like it.

I was shouting for Uruguay. Glad to hear I'm not a racist. I knew supporting Diego Forlan would save my soul one day.
As for you people, who supported the African team just because the tournament was in Africa and you wanted to see the continent do well, you are all heinous racists. So what if Uruguay had won the competition twice before and no African team had ever been to the semi final. You make me sick!!!
You're probably the same people who wanted to see Japan and Korea do well in 02.

No the ref could not have awarded the goal because the ball did not cross the line. Why can people not understand this point? Its very simple. There are laws/rules in football, and the ref awarding the goal would have broken FIFAs rules. Doesn't matter if it would be the right thing to do, or it should be the rule - the main thing is its currently not the rule. The ref dealt with the situation within the current laws of the game. He did it 100% right.

The problem is that the rules are wrong - they encourage cheating. Many other sports would have given a score in similar circumstances e.g. penalty try in rugby, touchdown in American football etc. The soccer rules need to be changed.

How often have you seen a player deliberately with his hand stop a certain goal in the opposition's goal line?

Players are trained to do this. Its drilled into them from a very early age by coaches - getting a red card is better than giving away a certain game winning goal. Changing the rules would eliminate this type of coaching as it would be better to let the goal in than to get a red card and have the ref award a goal anyway.

The problem is that the rules are wrong - they encourage cheating. Many other sports would have given a score in similar circumstances e.g. penalty try in rugby, touchdown in American football etc. The soccer rules need to be changed.

A touchdown would NOT have been given in American Football.

In fact I can't think of ANY other sport except rugby (league & union) which would have awarded a score

Incidentally the same thing happened last night when Shamrock Rovers played St Pats. A Rovers player handled the ball on the line in the last minute and St Pats missed the penalty and Rovers won 2-1.

Players are trained to do this. Its drilled into them from a very early age by coaches - getting a red card is better than giving away a certain game winning goal. Changing the rules would eliminate this type of coaching as it would be better to let the goal in than to get a red card and have the ref award a goal anyway.

Youngsters are not coached to cheat they do tend to emulate what they see though. We don't need rule changes we need to enjoy the drama of it all and stop trying to make everything 'fair'. Sport needs drama and heroes and villans, I like it just the way it is.

Back