Leaving job after 5 years and MD not happy

My advice is short and sweet.

Get over it. He's the MD. You'll bring a whole world of pain on yourself trying to make a big issue out of it.

Either...

a) Go sick
or
b) Bide your time...be pleasant...leave in 5 weeks.

If you decide to do anything else you're being silly...I know bullying is nasty and all the rest but you're leaving. Ask yourself do you really need the stress that making an issue of this will bring?

Got back from hols last week so only getting online now and yes I came back to see out my last few days and train in the new person and I hired the person who I feel is most suited to this place and has no family commitments. The nicest person who came in had kids, as soon as she mentioned that he nearly had a freaker, poor girl ran out of the place.

fair play to you. only one thing to do now, tie up the loose ends- be professional to the last and enjoy walking out that door ;)

I have feck all to do to be honest, the week before I went on holidays I went through everything. The place it totally clean, suppliers paid up until mid-Sept, credit control up to date, salaries done, journals posted, filing perfect so it's grand. Just have to show her so much it's tough on her, coz when I walk out that door that's it, even getting a new simcard for my mobile. I want a complete break.
Sure my own mother knew I would come in regardless of what was happening as it's just not like me to not bother. I am out of here on Friday and I have already said no to a goodbye lunch as it's all too false for me and I have nothing to say but Adios a/hole!!.
New lady talks too much, she is 10 years older than me so she is going to be grand here. It's weird training someone older than me and advising her, I feel strange about that!!.:eek:
At least I know I did my job and got on well with clients etc, he can say what he likes and be horrible but he can be miserable for the rest of his life because he is too mean and nasty to smile, at least I will be at home with my kids, happy out and starting my own business and enjoying that. I still hate him though, it's just that he can't start on me with new lady here coz I told him if he does she will legg it.:D

It's awful in these cases that you have to make a choice between what is legally (and morally) an option (i.e. the harassment and bullying complaint) and what is best for you and your career. A friend of mine had a valid (IMHO) complaint about his boss but was discreetly told that the industry he works in is very small and word would get around of him being seen as 'overly sensitive'.

In this case as he's the MD I don't see what satisfaction you would get from pursuing any complaint formally. Ireland's too small and people do talk. Not morally right or fair. I'd simply continue to be as professional as you can be.

You are not being smart here. You should try & set him off so the new lass will leave. :D

If the new one leaves then that means he will hassle me to stay on till he gets someone else and after this Friday I can't coz it's my officila leaving date and the kids last day in the creche!.

I won't be pursuing a complaint as I am fully aware of the stupid attitute towards it in this little Island of ours, word gets around and you are either a trouble maker or hyper sensitive. I can only hope one day he lets off at the wrong person who is well able for him.

I can't wait to be at home with the kids and the challenge of starting up my own business is even better, so far so good have got 3 clients on board and I just really want 1 or 2 more so I can give them 100% and not go in over my head because I still have the kids, house, fish and dog to look after!!.

If the new one leaves then that means he will hassle me to stay on till he gets someone else and after this Friday I can't coz it's my officila leaving date and the kids last day in the creche!.

So what, just say no. It would be great leaving him to get it all sorted!

I know he would not have a CLUE what to do!!!. I am getting a new sim card for my mobile on Friday and I told him I don't have a land line or internet access so I am well shot of this place after Friday!

So what if your manager asks you to stay on. You have some new clients & can manage well without him. Just say no. Tell him you are sticking to your agreement, leaving Fri and thats it!!!!

You probably have been too reliable in the past, & perhaps this is why your manager has taken advantage of you (insulting behaviour etc). He probably thinks you are 'dying for' your job, and that you are half sorry to leave.

I have seen it first hand & with others: the more you do for employers, the more likely they are to 'take you for granted', 'think they can say what they like to you'. I know it is unfair & a sad fact, but the more cheeky you are and the more you project an attitude of 'don't care' and 'you are doing them a favour', the better you are treated by employers.

Best of luck in the new venture. It really sounds like you are better off out of there.

Don't worry about the new lady. As she is 10 yrs older than you, and may be used to moving jobs, she may be used to dealing with obnoxious types. She could be stern & 'a tough cookie' and your manager may not get away with his behaviour to her.

Buzybee, you have it totally right. I have been an idiot, the stress of this place to ensure I was here all the time aswell as juggling the motherhood part aswell had been so hard as he really does not understand. he often shouted at me that my kids come first before this place, like hello of course they do.
It's just when I see friends of mine who don't have any of this crap in their jobs, they are allowed take parental leave when they need it and get flexible hours and don't feel like they need to bow down in thanks for it.

I am so sad that I wasted such a long time here but we were trying so hard to buy a house and get our mortgage so I had to stay in a permanent job until we got it all sorted out!!

I hired the person who I feel is most suited to this place and has no family commitments. The nicest person who came in had kids, as soon as she mentioned that he nearly had a freaker, poor girl ran out of the place.

As you have worded it that sounds like a fairly clear cut case of discrimination to be honest, she would have a chance at a case against him.

He will always behave like that towards women, he is a pig. He once said to me he wished he had hired all men. At the time there was only myself and 2 other girls working here, now there is just me and one other and he should have an all male staff here.

Did you read today's Indo about the mum who got €25,000 for the abuse she received from her boss at Avant Shipping in Santry? She was told she was "nothing but a "floozie and a stay-at-home mother". At only 21 years of age I doubt she was suffering this abuse for as long as the OP, but I think she deserves every penny.

They say there's no such thing as bad publicity, wonder what management at Avant Shipping think!

that's great, fair played to her. I'm 30, working here since I was 25 so I think I have put up with alot more. Since we moved out of the dublin suburbs to Co. Wicklow earlier this year, according to him I have gone awful stupid and slow....just another one of his lovely remarks. I haven't changed much since I was 21 really barr having a family!.
She must have had an excellent solicitor and good fellow employees who went as witnesses for her!. I would not have any back up, they would rather look after themselves in here!

Headachecity, I have being reading this thread since it started and to be honest I will miss it when you leave this dark person you work for, in mid Sept. You have a plan which is solid and based on your very clear goals of family first. You "know" how small Ireland is and you know that you can "put up" with your MD's mood and attitudes for your remaining time. After that, it is all before you and from what you have written the way ahead, it sounds great. Stay focused on ending this part of your career with the dignity you have shown up to now and for the last 5 year and then with a heart and a half, dust off any connection with this MD, mind and have fun with the children as they grow up and develop your own business to another success.

Martin, thanks for that!. I was just about to post a big thank you to everyone who has supported me on this thread as it's made my days alot easier to deal with at the moment, instead of getting upset I smile at him which is really messing with his head at the moment and I keep using the word "lovely". He probably thinks I'm smoking too much "turf" down the "bog" where I live!. I have to look at it comically or I will go insane.
The worst part is knowing you are good at your job and always did your best and being treated like an idiot or as a person who is lower in the social circle than certain people!!.
I really think this new lady will be okay though, it's what she wants, she licks his ass and he is loving it while I turn green. Yuk!!.

Martin, thanks for that!. I was just about to post a big thank you to everyone who has supported me on this thread as it's made my days alot easier to deal with at the moment, instead of getting upset I smile at him which is really messing with his head at the moment and I keep using the word "lovely". He probably thinks I'm smoking too much "turf" down the "bog" where I live!. I have to look at it comically or I will go insane.
The worst part is knowing you are good at your job and always did your best and being treated like an idiot or as a person who is lower in the social circle than certain people!!.
I really think this new lady will be okay though, it's what she wants, she licks his ass and he is loving it while I turn green. Yuk!!.

Best of luck HeadacheCity! You deserve a break after putting up with him for that long!

Back