Laptop won't power on

eileen alana

I bought a TARGA laptop from Lidl just before Christmas and when I went to turn it on yesterday, it is totally dead, no light or sound. I have tried charging it etc but no use. What could be wrong with it?

I bought a TARGA laptop from Lidl just before Christmas and when I went to turn it on yesterday, it is totally dead, no light or sound. I have tried charging it etc but no use. What could be wrong with it?

take battery out and then plug it in directly to the mains - could be a faulty battery

Press the top right hand corner of laptop down (just above the PageUp button) at the same time as you press the power on button.

Some poorly made laptops develop a loose connection at that junction which prevent the "Power On" message getting through to the actual laptop.

Press the top right hand corner of laptop down (just above the PageUp button) at the same time as you press the power on button.

Some poorly made laptops develop a loose connection at that junction which prevent the "Power On" message getting through to the actual laptop.

Still no luck :(

clubman- what do you mean by the power supply
What you refer to as the "charger".

As mentioned above you should certainly bring it back under warranty if it's not working properly. If your priority is to retrieve user data from the hard disk (which you should securely erase before returning in my opinion) then you can take the drive out and put it into an external drive housing to copy data from it. There are numerous threads dealing with this but you should get assistance from somebody with experience in these matters if you don't know what you're doing.

What you refer to as the "charger".

excuse my ignorance:eek:

Got phone number for TARGA technical support in Dublin, they were closed for the night. I just hope my laptop will not have to be shipped off to be repaired in Germany.

Thank you for simplifying that, Is it the same so for a mobile phone? The external power supply that you attach to charge it up

Technically yes as far as I know. The charging circuit is inside the phone if I'm not mistaken. Even though most people including myself call the power supply/transformer the charger! :eek:

Next time mobile or laptop needs charging, I shall be asking around if anyone has seen the power supply/transformer anywhere, I think I'll be getting some funny stares from my lot!

Got phone number for TARGA technical support in Dublin, they were closed for the night. I just hope my laptop will not have to be shipped off to be repaired in Germany.
To assert your legal rights, it's important that you bring the laptop back to the shop where your purchased it and tell them that you believe that the laptop was not of 'merchantable quality' and that you want to discuss refund, replacement or repair. Don't let them fob you off with having to bring it somewhere else under warranty. Your contract is with the shop & it's their responsibility to put things right. If they want to get someone else to examine or fix it, that's up to them. They have to do the running, not you.

Since you've only have the machine for about six weeks, you might want to consider how long to allow them to repair it, proportionate to the time you've owned it.

If you do contact Targa support, you may in effect, be waiving your statutory rights.

Lidl are generally fine for dealing with issues like this. Not sure if they'll offer a refund, replacement or a repair though.

Not really - those are the consumer's statutory rights and they should have no problem following up on them with Lidl. The problem about a replacement is that they won't have the item in stock since it was a special so they will probably have to liaise between the consumer and supplier in any case unless a refund is requested or offered.

To assert your legal rights, it's important that you bring the laptop back to the shop where your purchased it and tell them that you believe that the laptop was not of 'merchantable quality' and that you want to discuss refund, replacement or repair. Don't let them fob you off with having to bring it somewhere else under warranty. Your contract is with the shop & it's their responsibility to put things right. If they want to get someone else to examine or fix it, that's up to them. They have to do the running, not you.

Since you've only have the machine for about six weeks, you might want to consider how long to allow them to repair it, proportionate to the time you've owned it.

If you do contact Targa support, you may in effect, be waiving your statutory rights.

I emailed them last night and got back the following reply:

thank you for your inquiry to the technical support. We are sorry about the problems
you have experienced with your computer.

At first you can try to reset laptop power completely. Please do as follows:
- disconnect battery from the laptop
- disconnect also power adapter
- press power button and keep it pressed about 10 seconds time
- re-connect battery and power adapter and try to start laptop.

If the laptop would not start even after this procedure, we kindly ask you to call our
hotline number preferably when you have the computer in front of you.

I am due to call the hotline number this evening, have I already waived my statutory rights now that I have emailed them? I'd rather take it back to the shop. I purchased it just a week before christmas and I also vaguely remember something on their advertisment boards about these laptops being exempt from refund policy although on my receipt it says Refund within 28 days only with Receipt

Back