Laptop stops working properly after 6 weeks - Consumer Rights

Re: Consumer Rights-Laptop stops working properly after 6 weeks

As I see it, you need to confident about what you want to do. Clearly tell them that if the laptop is not fixed, you want a full refund. You are entitled to this in law. Also, as others have said, your contract is with the retailer, so they have FULL responsibility to fix the problem. Ignore waffle about HP guarantees, etc ...

Whether or not the fault is the same is irrelevant. The merchandise is not fit for use over a reasonable time-frame under 'normal' useage conditions. The small claims court will define what is 'reasonable' and 'normal'.

Let them know that you WILL go to the small claims court if necessary. Retailers usually hope customers won't go that far, but if you are confident to do so, they might not want the hassle/bad publicity etc ...

What I want to do is get a replacement laptop, not another repair job where I am without a pc for weeks, and then get it back and god knows when it will fail again, only at that stage my dodgy laptop will be out of warranty, and no loinger hp's or the retailersn responsibility.

Is it reasonable of me to request a new replacement laptop at this stage, seeing as it is the second time it is being sent for repair. I stant to gain nothing here, I am not interested in gaiding anything, I just want a reliable laptop, which is what I thought I had purchased.

Seeing as I am requesting a replacement laptop, should I drop this back in to them for repair, or should I hold on to it until they give me a replacement or it goes to small claims court ?

I have no problem with taking the to the small calims court, I just want to get an opinion on whether I am being reasonable in doing this ? Would anyone else accept another "repair" job at this stage ?

Your preference is for a replacement. Well, if it was me and I had two major failures inside the warranty period, then I too would ask for a replacement first, then a refund if the replacement was not forthcoming.

Demand a replacement from the shop.
If they refuse, write to them demanding same.
If this fails, write to them demanding a refund.
If this fails, file a claim with the Small Claims Court.

Thanks guys, that was what I was hoping would be the response. Personally, I feel it is reasonable for me to demand a replacement at this stage, as to the consumer association. Shuld I hold on to the laptop in the meantime until this is finalsied, or should I send it in to soundstore for repair as they have requested. I do not want a repair.
Wexfordman

I think it is reasonable to ask for a replacement now - they have gone down the repair route before but the laptop broke again.

Bugger,
just spent 20 mins drafting an email saying same to soundstore, and they dont have an email address!!!. Just going to have to print it off so and post it in.

You might try and find out if thats a problem with that model. Whats the model number?

Its a pavilion dv6000 series (dv6021ea). tried to see if i could find sonmething by googling, but no luck.
regards,
wexfordman

Did the google, found a few links about people having the same problems, but no detail on the resolution.
Wexfordman

Did the google, found a few links about people having the same problems, but no detail on the resolution.
Wexfordman

Seems to be common problem with the audio chipset used, rather than specific model/make of laptop. One suggestion I read was to put the machine to sleep then wake it up. Seem to reinitialise the sound. Sounds like a long shot to me.

Theres also this
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-45570-1&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=1842155&os=228&lang=en

Taking a longer view, You could also buy a sound card to bypass the onboard sound card. It would be better sound quality anyway.

The saga continues. Wireless stopped working on it on Sunday. HP did some remote diagnostics and came to the conclusion that the wireless problem is hardware related and needs to be sent back for repair. Also, the power button has started to play up, and I can hardly turn the feckin thing on now. THe power button it seems may be a design issue, or a batch of faulty buttons, as I did a google (thanks for the tip). So within a year, I now have 4 seperate faults on the laptop.

Just thought I'd throw in a little update. Snet a registered letter to soundstore in blackpool last week threating to take the to the small calims court if they did not offer to replace laptop or refund purchase price within 10 days. Told them I was more than happy to drop laptop into them for them to verify the numerous faults in my presence, but was not willing to have it sent back for repair.

Also got a couple of request from HP on the follow up of the online tech support. They said they would arrange to pick it up for repair. Despite me replying several times saying that I was not interested in repair, but wanted replacement, they kept replying saying they would like to arrange pick up and repair, and completely igonored the issue about me requesting replacement (they did not even acknoledge it, almost like the did not read the email in full). Last reply to them I told them about the letter going to retailer, and small claims court, and no response since.

Registered letter was received by soundstore on the 25th, so giving them till next friday before lodging my claim.
Wexfordman

Looking for a bit of advice on lodging my small claim. I purchased from soundstore in blackpool, but cant find this company registered on the cro website. Several other branches are present, but not the blackpool one. Anyone know what I need to do to find out who I am actually taking to the Small claims ? Results I got from the cro website are below. Quick one also, proof of purchase, is the credit agreement form the shop sufeceint ? Cant find the origional receipt ?
[broken link removed]

On the Small Claims Court application do you not just give as much detail about the retail outlet as you can as opposed to worrying about business registrations etc.?

Is the credit agreement signed by both parties? If not and you don't have proof of purchase (including any card transaction slips/statements for any initial payment/deposit) then surely you may have difficulty pursuing this claim?

Thanks Clubman,
The credit agreement is the pink slip which was filled out at the shop (credit agreement is from friends first, and has signatures from the shop and from me).

The small calims court does request the comapny details and points to the cro website to get the details yourself. This I did, but could not find the specific outlet at blackpool!!

I could go to the bank and get credit card transaction details also I guess (I catually paid in full wiht my cc, and it was debited back to my cc once the credit agreement was approved, I'm an impatiant bugger, and wanted the laptop there and then, so this was a way to do it)

Thanks Clubman,
The credit agreement is the pink slip which was filled out at the shop (credit agreement is from friends first, and has signatures from the shop and from me).
Sounds like that should be proof enough of the transaction so?
The small calims court does request the comapny details and points to the cro website to get the details yourself. This I did, but could not find the specific outlet at blackpool!!
Does anything on the credit agreement clarify the provenance of the retail outlet in question?
I could go to the bank and get credit card transaction details also I guess (I catually paid in full wiht my cc, and it was debited back to my cc once the credit agreement was approved, I'm an impatiant bugger, and wanted the laptop there and then, so this was a way to do it)
No harm I suppose? The more evidence the better.

I dunno Wexfordman, but I think if I were in your shoes I'd be very tempted to bring it to the Soundstore and stand there and "Thump the counter", until I got some satisfaction. My idea of satisfaction would be a new or damn well nearly new working laptop with a crowd of good apps at least.
I suppose you could threaten to expose them on the internet????
Good luck with it.

I dunno Wexfordman, but I think if I were in your shoes I'd be very tempted to bring it to the Soundstore and stand there and "Thump the counter", until I got some satisfaction. My idea of satisfaction would be a new or damn well nearly new working laptop with a crowd of good apps at least.
I suppose you could threaten to expose them on the internet????
Good luck with it.

I agree. I recently bought a car and had serious problems with it. I went back to where I bought it, not to the manufacturer. Forget about dealing directly with hp. Go back to where you bought it (on a busy day) and cause a huge LOUD fuss until you're happy!

Back