Kitchen extension query

Thanks for all your replies. Can anyone please tell me how to add an attachment? I used to be able to but I cannot.

Do you use microwave a lot. Mine is in utility. Do you need a kettle. Got rid of it when changed my stove. Is Thermomix used everyday?
Almost everyday
I put Magimix and Kenwood in press when changed kitchen. Basically I only have fruit bowl, coffee machine and toaster on all my counters.
I have the toaster in the press
We are still working on our house. I try to put a maximum of close storage/cupboard wherever I can. I just find life easier when everything and gears as an appropriate place. Is that something you can look at?
Literally have no wall space on the kitchen side. The tiny utility houses a chest freezer and has been turned into a mini pantry with shelves.
I would also be concerned with location. Does it mean change of schools... What do you plan to do in between houses?
I'd rather not change schools as 10 year old is going into 5th class and 8 year old into 3rd class. The toddler is settled at the childminder and the childcare shortage in Cork is about to get worse as another creche is closing in Sept.
Financially, your move also add a 100k and moving costs. How does that impact your general finance?
What??? For starters we don't have that sitting about :eek:

I'm taking it that the floor plan is your existing house.

Swap the kitchen to the other side, so you have a galley kitchen along what is currently your party wall with your neighbour.

there'll be a cost for moving the plumbing & electrics but better value than extension.

That makes what is currently the kitchen your dining area.

You could think about making that kitchen window into french doors & the current double door into a single door.

Final note - if the extension proposed is to square off that dog leg, I wouldn't do it. Too much money for not enough space

Another thought - is that a shower in your downstairs loo? Do you need a shower there? If not could that space be re configured to take your washer/dryer & loo/wash basin.

that would free up what is currently a utility room which to be honest looks too small to be much use.

Last edited:
Its a tight kitchen for a 4 bedroom house. Not much I think you can do with the existing configuration except moving some of the counter top appliances / microwave into the utility room (maybe wall mount a top cabinet or shelving in the utility rooom above the washing machine for these).

Thanks so much for the replies. It is a very small kitchen hence my earlier comment about moving, we have no dishwasher and struggle with a place for the bins. There is no shower in the downstairs loo.
I did suggest knocking down the utility wall will give us more room as we will have more wall space but my husband wants to keep the utility.
@Flybytheseat the utility houses a chest freezer and shelves of groceries so we have no space in there.
@DannyBoyD the washer and dryer can barely fit into the downstairs loo as it is a weird shaped room.
We had a get a smaller dining table so the kitchen doesn’t look overcrowded.

Last edited:
I like @DannyBoyD suggestion of galley kitchen by swapping the kitching and dining areas. It'll give u plenty of counter space: you would have 4.45m one side, and 2.17m the other. And a very good working kitchen.

Also like the idea of changing the current window to a door to garden. And u dont need 2 of these from a single room. So why not change the current door to garden to a window to have a counter across to make a U shaped worktop. Or u could change it to a picture window feature, or leave change to full length window. I wouldn't have it as a door.

If you haven't already, visit as many of your neighbours as possible and see how they're using the space.
After 5 years, someone will probably have come up with an idea.

the washer and dryer can barely fit into the downstairs loo as it is a weird shaped room.
Consider reconfiguring that space, rather than trying to 'fit it in'.

Stacked washer dryer set up will take up as much floor space as a fridge/freezer

It can be hard to visualise when there's so much stuff / furniture.

You could try some free 3d software & sketch out the space without the utility walls & downstairs loo. Then see how it can be reimagined.

Your room in itself is reasonably big. I would consider reconfiguring if you're happy with the house. The extension was basically what we considered. We considered it twice seriously since in the house. But the price for such a little space stopped us. (Our garden is also rather small).
You could go to the Ikea website, put your measurements in the kitchen planning tool and try to play with that. I planned my kitchen alone. I went for a few quotes and planned but I found that very little consideration to my needs was given. My plans changed a good few times over 6 months but I am very happy with it. See what you have. Think of what you need. Think about where you would put your things. Where do you put your plates, pots, food...drawers are more efficient for space.

Looking at the pictures. Do you have additional storage in dining room or sitting area. For cheaper option, could it be envisaged. Though this doesn't improve the worktop. I have a dresser where I put things I don't use on a daily basis. As I mentioned, as we worked in our house, I tried to add closed storage in every room, free standing or on the wall. I find it helps.

Is the bit of the kitchen / dining room already sticking out the back of the house only one story?
Or is there something over it on the first floor?

Of I remember correctly your need is more counter space primarily.

I would stow the thermomix, hang the kitchen roll on a nice holder holder on the underside of the top cabinets, bin the fruit basket and replace it with a hanging one suspended on the end of the high cabinets to the left of your sink.

Lose the water bottle. Get a smaller microwave.

Try that first, it'll set you back maybe eur300 then see how yo get on for a month. You'll need discipline to keep it clutter free but I reckon you've got the space already it's just not available.

you've got the space already it's just not available.
I don't think the issue is just counter top space; the kitchen is not functional as it is.

No dishwasher, utility being used for freezer / pantry - all points to a poor design.

If this was a rental property, Horatios suggestions would be worthwhile.

Reversing eating/kitchen area solves for every issue I can see....more counter tops and storage under, could easily fit a dishwasher. The expense of this is new kitchen units and related plumbing/wiring. 10k could see u done and living in a very functional and attractive layout.

My suggestion would be to turn the french doors into a window. Put a breakfast nook (L shaped) into the corner and under the window. Get a built in bench with hinged lids. Loose covers (easily washed) on foam cut to size on top. This will give additional storage. Remove the free standing table and chairs. Also remove the sofa. Put the door on the wall opposite. On the wall where the table is now put additional kitchen units. A floor to ceiling larder unit and a worktop with units underneath. Put a dishwasher beside the sink (water and drainage is already there. Do you have a shed? Chest freezer or washing machine and dryer could go in there? I am not sure if you have a TV? If so it can go in the corner above the breakfast nook. I would move the washing machine and dryer out of the downstairs toilet. The new units don’t have to match the existing ones if on a separate wall.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to look at the pics. I was catching up on my sleep (working last night). I will read and reply to the comments.

Back