Kitchen extension query

MsCutha

We bought a new build in 2018. Due to the lack of work surface in the kitchen, we are considering extending a part of it. We have gotten quotes ranging from €33k to €45k (excluding kitchen and tiling). Extension is approx 2.5 x 2.5sq/m (knocking down an L shaped wall to make a rectangular room). We’re not sure if it is worth the prices being quoted but it will give us that extra bit of room. House was valued during remortgage last Nov at €440k, we have a very good interest rate thanks to great switching advice from @Paul F

Not sure if it cheaper to move about 20 mins away for a bigger house with more privacy (we’re in Cork).
My question (in a roundabout way), is extending that tiny bit worth the prices being quoted?

Small extensions can make a massive difference to the usability of a space, but only you can put a price on that.

If the house 20 minutes away is better suited to your needs for similar or less money that might be a much better option to the disruption and risks of a constriction project.

If you are otherwise happy where you are, then I would go down the extension route.

Bear in mind, selling and buying will be a ball of heartache, and probably cost you the guts of €10- 15k after legal fees, stamp duty, moving costs etc.

We had the same idea, same type of dimensions (though slightly bigger), same type of price, just after the first COVID lockdown. Also thought about moving. Decided to stay put. But we reconfigure the room. Rethought totally the space and the kitchen. It worked well for us (even if sometimes I wonder what if).

As you have looked at another house perhaps you intend moving in the future? On a purely financial level how long will it take for your home to increase by €75,000? I am basing this figure on your extension, new kitchen, appliances (current appliances are 6 years old) and redecoration.

If you move do you lose you great interest rate. Have you considered the effect of interest rate hikes on property prices. You've not put in any figures for selling and buying.

Is there a better option than what you are proposing. For example, is you broom cupboard in the kitchen, would putting in a cupboard elsewhere solve a bit of space, or an island. Moving a dining table, getting a wheelie island.

It's a lot of money, and disruption for more chopping space.

This:

Not sure if it cheaper to move about 20 mins away for a bigger house with more privacy

gives us zero figures. Plus it introduces a new reason to your worksurface issue. (The house I live in our vendors moved 2 minutes away on the same street !)

Thanks everyone for your replies,
Small extensions can make a massive difference to the usability of a space, but only you can put a price on that.

If the house 20 minutes away is better suited to your needs for similar or less money that might be a much better option to the disruption and risks of a constriction project.
There isn't an actual house, but driving 20-30 mins east or west of Cork gives more value for more but there is also commuting (Jack Lynch tunnel) traffic and kids schools to consider.

If you are otherwise happy where you are, then I would go down the extension route.

Bear in mind, selling and buying will be a ball of heartache, and probably cost you the guts of €10- 15k after legal fees, stamp duty, moving costs etc.
This is one of the reasons we are staying put for now. We have good neighbors but we are attached to a very lovely but noisy neighbor.

We had the same idea, same type of dimensions (though slightly bigger), same type of price, just after the first COVID lockdown. Also thought about moving. Decided to stay put. But we reconfigure the room. Rethought totally the space and the kitchen. It worked well for us (even if sometimes I wonder what if).
I'll post a picture of the plan. I don't think we can reconfigure it but I'll be happy if I am told otherwise

Has anyone had issues attaching pics? I thought it was because I was on my phone, but I'm on my PC and I cannot attach a pic.

The general rule of thumb is to expect that your extension / renovation will add between 20 - 80% value. Attic renovations are often considered the best return & even then you wont get yr money back.

Based on what you've written here, I would say either be creative in reimagining the space or move.

The current setup would also be useful to see. Appreciate you may not be comfortable sharing but it would help.

I'd exhaust all potential reconfiguration option s before thinking about extending. That's a Savage wad of cash for extra counterspace.

Do you have a plethora of countertop appliances taking up the real estate? These can be rehomed intelligently.

Do you have head space above your highest cupboards? That headspace can be fitted out with storage for less frequently used articles.

Have you got extraneous items in your kitchen just taking space that are rarely/ never used?

If you haven't done so already, might be worth talking to a good architect, they really can come up with some great ideas to help you reimagine and get the best out of available space.

Thanks for the replies. I have an architect coming over on Monday. I’m still having trouble attaching pictures, will do when I can figure out how to.
@Bronte BOI told me that if I move I’ll pay a breakage fee which will be refunded as long as I make my house purchase within 6 months. I get to keep my 1.9% rate and only additional borrowing will be subject to current market rates.

With regards to figures, for example if our house sells for maybe 450k (4 bed semi valued at 440 last Nov), 20-30 mins east or west of our current location will get us a fetched 4/5 bed house of 550/600k (max budget if we need to move).
We’re quite central at the moment, 5 mins to CUH and 15 mins to 3 other hospitals (one child has an allergy), husband works from home and I probably will in a few years time. We have 3 kids (10, 8, 2) and the older two play sports so lots of gear everywhere and good location also. We will lose this if we move 20 mins with the traffic in Cork.

It's hard to put a price on quality of life, and big contributors to that are liking your neghbourhood, convenience for commute/school runs, kids being settled and happy etc. I wouldn't move in your case, looks like an extra hour of every day lost to driving to/from work, and everything else not being as good. I'd extend or at least see how you could change layout....have u an under used room, could u knock that into another room to give you a decent open plan or bigger kitchen?

@Horatio our counter top has the microwave, kettle, a small coffee maker, a small fruit stand and a Thermomix that’s all. Even taking the oven trays out of the oven leaves us with no work surface.

@Horatio our counter top has the microwave, kettle, a small coffee maker, a small fruit stand and a Thermomix that’s all. Even taking the oven trays out of the oven leaves us with no work surface.

Perhaps getting the microwave built-in to one of the top kitchen presses would free up countertop space at a fraction of the cost of moving ?

Not sure what a thermomix is but do you use it daily? If not I'd be stowing that away.

Can you move the fruit to a hanging configuration in the end of a line of cabinets?

WQSS AOEIU Hanging Fruit Basket, Handmade 3-Tier Jute Woven Wall Basket, BOHO Kitchen Wall Decor for Organizing, Storage Basket for Kitchen Living & Bathroom Bedroom https://a.co/d/0C9Mmev

Maybe the coffee maker could fit on a new cantilevered shelf also at the end of a line of cabinets?

Do you use microwave a lot. Mine is in utility. Do you need a kettle. Got rid of it when changed my stove. Is Thermomix used everyday? I put Magimix and Kenwood in press when changed kitchen. Basically I only have fruit bowl, coffee machine and toaster on all my counters.
We are still working on our house. I try to put a maximum of close storage/cupboard wherever I can. I just find life easier when everything and gears as an appropriate place. Is that something you can look at?
I would also be concerned with location. Does it mean change of schools... What do you plan to do in between houses?
Financially, your move also add a 100k and moving costs. How does that impact your general finance?

Last edited:
Back